Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 11-24-2010, 04:44 AM
v7n Mentor

Can you promise top ten in Google?

I recently got more aware how hard it is to get an accurate measure of a websites position in Google's search results (SERPs). There are many factors which can affect the results, here are some which I believe can affect things:
  • Chrome History
  • Google Account History
  • Time
  • Recent Searches
  • Favourite Websites (Stared)
  • Social Circle
  • Subscribed Links
  • Google Domain Used

Due to one of Google's new algo changes I noticed that queries for the top 100 return different results to standard queries (they don't include embedded map results). Maybe results also vary by browser or if you use the toolbar to search!

We also don't have much info on the value of a position. Being top is less obviously the best. With Google mixing in maps, logos, videos, images, rich snippets, more links, it can be better to be lower down with a fancier listing than at the top!

With all these factors, can SEO tools return an accurate indication of a websites status?

Some SEO firms measure success and even payment based on achieving a top 10 position. How can they truthfully do this?

Last edited by Tiggerito; 11-24-2010 at 04:54 AM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-24-2010, 05:14 AM
Banned

Time decision for Google top ten positioning needs an analysis, which includes number of targeted keywords, competition on each keyword, targeted domain age, current keywords positioning etc.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Personally I dont think its a good way to offer SEO services it should not be done off serp position but I think SEO services should be targeting more along the lines of increasing traffic via search engines, bounce rate of that traffic ect.

Just promising a top 10 serp result would put me off any SEO company to be honest.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:10 AM

Nobody can not promise that we will take all keywords in top 10 results. But some Seo Factor can really helpful so i am mentioning below:
Domain age
Keyword Research
Metas optimization, title , Description etc.
Use Alt attribute in Img src tag
Interlinking
Off Page seo

Old 11-24-2010, 10:30 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerito View Post
We also don't have much info on the value of a position. Being top is less obviously the best. With Google mixing in maps, logos, videos, images, rich snippets, more links, it can be better to be lower down with a fancier listing than at the top!
I've been taking special note of this and am concerned Google may be diluting and confusing the search results for the end user, especially when it is a search for something location related.

I have one very relative search for local medical clinics in my area and Google posts my SERP before the map with all the points layed out. Heaven forbid if my SERP was less relevant and thus show up before the map.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

I don't think Cookies and Chrome History have roles in ranking results. They have, when you use your personal computer or you changed some settings of your Google account or your broswer. But globally i think they are not much important factors.

Old 11-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerito View Post
I recently got more aware how hard it is to get an accurate measure of a websites position in Google's search results (SERPs). There are many factors which can affect the results, here are some which I believe can affect things:
  • Chrome History
  • Google Account History
  • Time
  • Recent Searches
  • Favourite Websites (Stared)
  • Social Circle
  • Subscribed Links
  • Google Domain Used

Due to one of Google's new algo changes I noticed that queries for the top 100 return different results to standard queries (they don't include embedded map results). Maybe results also vary by browser or if you use the toolbar to search!

With all these factors, can SEO tools return an accurate indication of a websites status?

Some SEO firms measure success and even payment based on achieving a top 10 position. How can they truthfully do this?
the only seo tool i know is accurate is the prchecker.
they probably measure the success of their services after checking that in every datacenter of google the optimized site in in top ten for a given time. this way a client shall continuously avail their service to remain on top. then they can guarantee its success.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:27 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseo View Post
I don't think Cookies and Chrome History have roles in ranking results. They have, when you use your personal computer or you changed some settings of your Google account or your broswer. But globally i think they are not much important factors.
Yes, as they alter results in a private and personalised way there is no way to include them on a general set of results. And you shouldn't include your own personalisation by accident.

It's probably best to inform clients that "results may vary" due to the way Google can personalise them, and that the official results are based outside those variations.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:05 AM
Contributing Member

I also do not believe SEO companies which promise top 10. I have seen some others which even promise backlinks from PR 10 websites. I think that is ridiculous.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:45 AM
v7n Mentor

I've just seen a TV advert in Australia advertising SEO services and giving a "first page guarantee".

I analyse over 1,000 search phrases related to website development and SEO in Australia. They only showed up once in the top 100 and that was at 91!

A recent discussion I was in related to an SEO firm that only charged if they achieved a certain position for keywords. Their charge varies by positions achevied and keyword. The example they gave indicated up to a $10,000 charge if they got you to number 1 (varied by keyword competitiveness I guess). But how can they say your number one with all the factors involved? And how long do you stay there!

Old 11-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Banned

IMO it's better not to offer such things to clients if you fail what happen, do you imagine? You will totally lost your clients, nobody trust on you. You will be treated as promise breaker.

Just do the standard word as others are doing. You will get your leads.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

i read, that companies, that promises top 10, often give money their customer back. at least a part of money

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum