Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 01-13-2014, 10:58 PM
Contributing Member

Two domain extension for my domain with same contet?Is this raise duplicate issue?

I have two domain extension for my main site .ie and .com version. Like Example.com (This is my main site) and example.ie (itís not indexed in Google).
Only url is different content and everything is the same. .com version is indexed in google and .ie is not indexed. Is 301 redirection is needed for .e version or do I want to add canonical tag to my .ie domain. Is this is a must?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 02:25 AM
v7n Mentor

There are several options. The best one depends on your situation.

You say the websites are identical. So no variations, like language or price?

If they are identical I would suggest going the 301 redirect route and effectively shifting it all to one domain. It keeps things the simplest and removes room for error.

Your next decision is which one. If your customers are in Ireland then I would go for the local .ie domain. If your customers are international then the .com would suite them more.

Canonical is a similar solution but it keeps both domains live. i.e. things are a bit more complex.

Another option is to use hreflang but that is designed to be used when the content does change a bit, like language or regional dialect.

The 301 redirect and canonical solutions are there to stop problems caused by having multiple copies of your pages. This sort of duplication can mean you divide your PageRank and therefore don't rank as well.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:28 AM
Banned

if another two domain are redirect on the main domain that is beeter and you can also block two domain by robots.txt file. no create duplicate issue

Old 01-14-2014, 02:53 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerito View Post
There are several options. The best one depends on your situation.

You say the websites are identical. So no variations, like language or price?

If they are identical I would suggest going the 301 redirect route and effectively shifting it all to one domain. It keeps things the simplest and removes room for error.

Your next decision is which one. If your customers are in Ireland then I would go for the local .ie domain. If your customers are international then the .com would suite them more.

Canonical is a similar solution but it keeps both domains live. i.e. things are a bit more complex.

Another option is to use hreflang but that is designed to be used when the content does change a bit, like language or regional dialect.

The 301 redirect and canonical solutions are there to stop problems caused by having multiple copies of your pages. This sort of duplication can mean you divide your PageRank and therefore don't rank as well.

Hi

Yes there is no variations in price language or anything all are the same.

the site .com is more popular than .ie version.

Does it have any problem if it exist as two version of the domain?Or is it possible to add robots.txt to block .ie from search engines?or Do I want to go directly for 301 redirection?

Old 01-14-2014, 03:32 AM
v7n Mentor

If you 301 redirect you solve the problem. Nothing left to block as Google will follow the redirect and use the destination in the search index and not the source.

When you do the 301 you will be combining the strength of both into one. Hopefully this means you end up with one that is even more popular.

Look at the backlink profiles for each. The one with the strongest profile would be the better choice. You can find backlinks out by going into Google Webmaster Tools and checking out the links to your site section. PageRank, MozRank and MajesticSEOs ranking signals should also confirm which is stronger.

If there is not much in it and your audience is in Ireland then I would go for the .ie one as the signal that you are local is a strong one. Without it and you could be from anywhere in the world!

Old 01-14-2014, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobwhite View Post
I have two domain extension for my main site .ie and .com version. Like Example.com (This is my main site) and example.ie (itís not indexed in Google).
Only url is different content and everything is the same. .com version is indexed in google and .ie is not indexed. Is 301 redirection is needed for .e version or do I want to add canonical tag to my .ie domain. Is this is a must?
If your .ie and .com versions both contain the exact same content, it would be considered duplicate. Heck, Google is looking at www . your - site . com & your - site . com as two different owners [one with the www, and one without].

My question is why in the world you want to create two websites with the exact content? Wouldn't be better, and easier to just do a "domain forwarding" and still own both sites, with the exact same content, and got indexed for both by Google?

Old 01-15-2014, 01:17 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerito View Post
If you 301 redirect you solve the problem. Nothing left to block as Google will follow the redirect and use the destination in the search index and not the source.

When you do the 301 you will be combining the strength of both into one. Hopefully this means you end up with one that is even more popular.

Look at the backlink profiles for each. The one with the strongest profile would be the better choice. You can find backlinks out by going into Google Webmaster Tools and checking out the links to your site section. PageRank, MozRank and MajesticSEOs ranking signals should also confirm which is stronger.

If there is not much in it and your audience is in Ireland then I would go for the .ie one as the signal that you are local is a strong one. Without it and you could be from anywhere in the world!

Hi

There is slight change in the product price in .ie version. Other contents and template are the same as .com version. I want to keep it live. just leaving the same .ie version will cause duplication issue isn't it? So what I can do in order to avoid duplicate content issue? Any advices asap

Last edited by Bobwhite; 01-15-2014 at 01:20 AM.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:24 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah it is duplicate site. You need to use 301 redirection to eradicate the duplicacy. It is confusion for Google and users too.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

Any of the two you can do. But I will suggest 301 redirect. or also you can disallow the .ie website from google. This is a simple way..

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum