Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby

Forum Lobby The off-topic forum.

Share |
Old 09-13-2019, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

No stings. I must have killed the queen as there are just some bees buzzing around in circles over the hole in the ground. I'm going to watch from a distance as the day progresses.

Exactly what I do depends on what they do. As it stands I plan to flood the hole with soapy water when dusk arrives if the bees have settled. As I don't see much better than them at dusk I won't be able to see them coming so I have to consider that.

Doing it in the full dark just wasn't any fun at all.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
As I don't see much better than them at dusk I won't be able to see them coming so I have to consider that.
Livin' on the edge! Home ownership can be a battlefield with critters - four-legged and winged ones too!

We had skunks in the area for a few weeks not long ago - now I read threads on a local FB thread of skunks hanging around other places in town.

Old 09-14-2019, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
Livin' on the edge! Home ownership can be a battlefield with critters - four-legged and winged ones too!

We had skunks in the area for a few weeks not long ago - now I read threads on a local FB thread of skunks hanging around other places in town.
The soapy water seems to do the trick, better actually than the chemical. There are only a couple of wasps buzzing around the hole this morning. We shall see how the day goes.

Skunks! I caught one while live trapping tree rats a few years back, cost me $135 to get a critter ridder to make it go away.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

Critter ridder? Oh, someone to come and remove and release?

When I hear Critter Ridder, I think of the pellets product that is supposed to make the critters go somewhere else other than the place the product is applied to.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Critter ridder? Oh, someone to come and remove and release?
Yeah! He gave the wife the big story about how he was going to drive to nearby county and release it. Cynical ole me thinks the skunk ODed on whatever he gave it shot of.

Picture if you will the skunk waking up in the back of the guy's pickup as he drove down the road.

BTW never use peanut butter to catch tree rats as the skunks abosulety love the stuff.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Yeah! He gave the wife the big story about how he was going to drive to nearby county and release it. Cynical ole me thinks the skunk ODed on whatever he gave it shot of.

Quote:
BTW never use peanut butter to catch tree rats as the skunks abosulety love the stuff.
I'm sure you are referring to squirrels?

Old 09-16-2019, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I'm sure you are referring to squirrels?
Right. A black walnut is the preferred bait here and whatever nuts you guys grow probably for you. Do black walnuts grow that far North?

I sure wish we could get some of that rain we wasted last year and this Spring. Things are dry around here.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

Black walnut trees are not that common around here - as far as I can recall. I did have a couple 30 footers in my by in a previous house I owned, but I took them down because their leaves really stained the wooden deck they hugged.

We've had a little warmer weather, with the next 4 or 5 days looking really good - sunny and warm with the odd shower thrown in now and then.

Getting some physio on my wonky knee with an ultrasound scheduled for the end of the month. Not much pain - just a lot of rattling going on inside the knee. Getting old isn't fun.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

I feel your pain, literally. 28 years of daily ladder climbing while overweight has taken a toll on mine. No rattling, that would scare me, just discomfort most of the time; worse when walking on concrete or blacktop.

Quote:
Getting old isn't fun.
Every time I catch myself thinking that I tell myself it beats the only other real alternative.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I feel your pain, literally. 28 years of daily ladder climbing while overweight has taken a toll on mine.
Roofing?

Quote:
Every time I catch myself thinking that I tell myself it beats the only other real alternative.
Amen to that!

X-rays show arthritis, but no one (medically, other than my physiotherapist) suggested how to live life going forward, and what to stay away from. I guess it's pretty clear it's staying away from "putting furniture together", and has absolutely nothing to do with golf.

I'm still scheduled for an ultrasound in two weeks, regardless.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Roofing?

Amen to that!

X-rays show arthritis, but no one (medically, other than my physiotherapist) suggested how to live life going forward, and what to stay away from. I guess it's pretty clear it's staying away from "putting furniture together", and has absolutely nothing to do with golf.

I'm still scheduled for an ultrasound in two weeks, regardless.
Drapery installations.

My experiences: working on your knees, ladder climbing, a lot of walking on concrete or uneven ground are all things that aggravate it.

I am or imagine that I am slightly better taking some of snake oil OTC pills.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

Good question. The Doctor says, try whatever works. The pharmacist says try Aleve. My Physiotherapist says, it's getting better, just come in for some maintenance, and keep doing what I'm doing in life, except the "crawling on your knees" part.

The ultrasound will tell more, for sure, but I'm thinking it's either surgery, which may or may not make things better, or just manage it with physio and some OTC soft strength pills - just now and then as needed.

Surgery recovery for knees can take up to a year to be almost normal. My hip basically took 18 months to feel as close to normal as I'm going to get.

I'm thinking, manage it on my own with some physio and soft strength pills for occasional pain and inflammatory as needed.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

When I said snake oil pill I was referring to this type of product .

It pays to shop around for the better deal since 2x per day is the dosage.

For me surgery is the last resort. Most people do well with the surgery but a small % do not.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, it's something that we've talked about recently. It's probably going on our next Costco order.

The amount of each supplement in the Kirkland product pill is about 1.25 times what our products contain up here (500mg and 400mg), which probably correlates with the Webber product suggesting 3 pills per day, vs your Kirkland product suggesting 2 pills per day.

Interesting how the Kirkland product shows amounts per daily dosage, and Webber shows amount per pill. Wow - going to have to keep my eye on the variations of product servings, vs per pill.

I just checked one website that says 1500mg is a normal daily dosage of glucosamine. Can be taken at once or in multiple doses, which falls in line with the Webber product suggested dosage we have here - 3 pills with 500mg Glucosamine, and 400mg chondroitin each.

Gosh - never thought I'd get into supplement discussions for age-related issues.

Last edited by LMD; 09-17-2019 at 07:05 AM.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to my world. At least I'm still regular.

The ones with Chondroitin seem to cost at lot more. While at Sams the other day I found some without it and with MSM for about a fourth the price so I am trying them out. I was out for the last 30 days so it will be a week or two before I have an opinion.

1500mg is a normal daily dosage of glucosamine according to all I've read. They are all called triple strength for some reason.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

Feeling better today. I might even try golf on Friday - not that many good weather weeks left for us.

I might have mentioned this before but I've found an outside water spigot that is leaking like a sieve whenever I turn it on. It was just dripping when under pressure before, but now its' a gushing waterfall. I've now got to cut thru the basement ceiling (drywalled) to get at it to replace it.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Feeling better today. I might even try golf on Friday - not that many good weather weeks left for us.

I might have mentioned this before but I've found an outside water spigot that is leaking like a sieve whenever I turn it on. It was just dripping when under pressure before, but now its' a gushing waterfall. I've now got to cut thru the basement ceiling (drywalled) to get at it to replace it.
Are you a walker or use a cart? Cart I say go for it. Walking, I suggest you don't. Moderate exercise = good. Lots of walking not so good.

I also have one of those, no drywall, but a very tight space in which to work. Been finding a reason not to do it all summer long. That is why I hand watered the tomato plants even though I purchased a timer early in the spring.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Are you a walker or use a cart? Cart I say go for it. Walking, I suggest you don't. Moderate exercise = good. Lots of walking not so good.

I also have one of those, no drywall, but a very tight space in which to work. Been finding a reason not to do it all summer long. That is why I hand watered the tomato plants even though I purchased a timer early in the spring.
Was walking earlier in the year. Now I'm carting. I lost about 8 pounds walking the course earlier this summer. Guess what - they're back.

Ya, I really want to get the spigot fixed because summer's back for a couple of weeks! I have to ensure I'm around to manually water the baskets in the front (the back system still works fine) twice a day - noon ish and 4-5 ish. Since following some fertilizing tips by a garden center, the baskets have lasted 3-4 weeks longer than normal.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

I'm probably going to use a compression fitting when I fix mine as there are too many joints too close together to sweat it and it takes forever to drain the line 100% at that spot.

It's the standing on the ladder to fix it that was my major excuse so far.

Old 09-19-2019, 06:34 AM
Contributing Member

Ya, I'm starting to be more self-aware of aches and pains as I wake up and go thru the day. I'm seriously going to look into supplements for arthritis and joint pain/aches. Although, I've been a hold-out on taking any pills because I've not had to take any meds on a regular basis so far in my life. And, the thought of setting up a weeks pill box to take each days meds isn't a happy thought.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby