Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 10-15-2011, 07:20 AM
v7n Mentor

Is PC Thought A Requirement To Be A Teacher?

Quote:
Officials in a New Jersey school district are investigating claims that a high school teacher who advises a prayer group posted remarks on her Facebook page that described homosexuality as "perverted" and said it "breeds like cancer."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44895809#.TpmVnt5T_BY

1. The article does not indicate any students saw the information

2. Would/should it matter if they did?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Everyone is entitled to their own thought and opinion, I think the problem lies if the opinions of the person may have a perceived effect on their profession (negative effec that is).

If a school teacher has such opinions, then parents (and students) may worry about any possible negativity, or being different towards gay students.

Everyone has a freedom to air their thoughts/views, but freedom comes at a price, and that is consequence and responsibility.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:49 PM
v7n Mentor

1st amendment of the US constitution (1st of 10 known as The Bill of Rights):
Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Schoolteachers are supposed to be protected by the same amendment being misinterpreted to chastise them. Expressing their own religious beliefs is a constitutionally guaranteed freedom, and doing so does not constitute an establishment of religion by congress.

The PC crowd needs a reading comprehension exam. They cannot legally persecute a teacher for expressing her religious beliefs on her facebook page. Shes a citizen and thereby protected in matters of free speech and entitled to freedom of religious expression. In short, it's none of their damned business.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
The American Civil Liberties Union of New Jersey defended Knox's First Amendment right to make the comments but said the school system also has the right to investigate whether she is performing her job in accordance with school policies and anti-bias laws.
Apparently while "On the Clock" a persons rights are less assured - other than a willingness for being fired over principles.

Economic factors should never be underestimated.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:10 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Apparently while "On the Clock" a persons rights are less assured - other than a willingness for being fired over principles.
Presumably she isn't chatting on Facebook while on the clock. If she was they wouldn't need to object to what she said... They could can her for playing on social networking sites instead of doing her job.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

A religous group (teacher) voicing an intollerant, prejudice viewpoint towards others.... Now there's a suprise

Rob, I agree on your comment on the pc crowd needing to understand what freedom of speech means, but in the same token, I would imagine that the religious group teacher may also need a reading comprehension exam on her chosen book of faith, so as to understand that most faiths, especially biblical based ones focus on Love and acceptance of others, and not prejudice viewponts.

Granted, I could be so off-base here and she may have been following another faith altogether that are less tollerant of one another.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
A religous group (teacher) voicing an intollerant, prejudice viewpoint towards others.... Now there's a suprise
Actually quite common for many of them to bash gays. Then they quote some old testament verse to support their hatred.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with you ScripMan, my comment was tongue-in-cheek

As long as she's not Christian, then I guess that belief could work for her. (right or wrong)

Old 10-16-2011, 07:55 AM
v7n Mentor

Holding such views is an individual liberty.
I suspect holding such a view does disqualify one
to be a teacher though.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze Wood View Post
Apparently while "On the Clock" a persons rights are less assured
Only if the clock is a government clock. The government (meaning any of its employees while they're representing it) has no right to express its religious beliefs.

BTW, ScriptMan, that's misquoting "some old testament verse". Leviticus 18:22 refers to the first commandment. Lie not with the male temple prostitute of another god as you lie with a woman. (You have to understand the vernacular of the period if you'd understand the speech of the period. Shakespeare wasn't telling Ophelia to become a nun.) Lots of religious water over that dam, due to the fact that someone screwed up the meaning of one sentence. (And don't Christians claim that they no longer have to obey Levitical Law? Or do they just have to obey those Levitical Laws they like imposing on others, but don't have to obey the ones they don't personally care to obey?)

Old 10-21-2011, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post

BTW, ScriptMan, that's misquoting "some old testament verse". Leviticus 18:22 refers to the first commandment. Lie not with the male temple prostitute of another god as you lie with a woman.
Let me send you to a couple of holy roller churches on Sunday and you can splain it to them.

I promise to call the cops before they get the pyre lit.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
Let me send you to a couple of holy roller churches on Sunday and you can splain it to them.
No thanks. I have enough trouble keeping my food down. I wouldn't mind sending some rollers - that's what you call the things used to smooth out blacktop - to them, though, to "smooth" the churches out.

We need churches like we need hurricanes and earthquakes.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:45 AM

i agree with u nice one

Old 11-12-2011, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashusood View Post
i agree with u nice one
Why do you agree?

Please explain...

Old 11-12-2011, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
No thanks. I have enough trouble keeping my food down. I wouldn't mind sending some rollers - that's what you call the things used to smooth out blacktop - to them, though, to "smooth" the churches out.

We need churches like we need hurricanes and earthquakes.
Do you know how many people they have actually helped, over the years?

I am not saying that I agree or disagree with you, I am just saying that there have been millions of people over the years that have been comforted by them, and for this reason alone, I would not do away with them.

@ Rukbat - Don't really want to start getting into another subject here, but the old testament law died with Christ when Christ was put to death, and that is stated in the bibles - I think that's what you mean when you said that Christians not following the old laws.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues