Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 02-16-2011, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

forum posting. How many links to include?

So we can all agree that posting in a forum is great for building back-links and page-rank. So what is the best way to include your links in your forum posts? Do you want to put it into the content? Or just leave it in the signature?

Also how many links would be appropriate per post? 2, 4?

Last is it ok to have all the links pointing to the same URL address?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

Link dropping into your post, and you will most likely find it deleted and/or yourself getting banned.

Also links from forums are the lowest valued links, considering how many you can get in a short period of time.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:48 AM
v7n Mentor

Yeah, what he said!

Don't drop any unless it's actually adding to the value of the thread, not adding to your site's value.. after all.. that's.. just.. greedy..

Also, linking to the same destination URL twice would be the same as just linking to it once. Really makes no difference.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradCallen View Post
Don't drop any unless it's actually adding to the value of the thread, not adding to your site's value.. after all.. that's.. just.. greedy..
It's also against this forum's rules.

Links to relevant portions of your own site are acceptable in answering a question or expanding on a point you're making. Gratuitous links that are being included just for the sake of getting a link aren't.

Quote:
Also, linking to the same destination URL twice would be the same as just linking to it once. Really makes no difference.
Wouldn't there be some benefit in linking to the same destination URL using two links with different anchor text?

Old 02-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

- make posts on related threads
- use signature
- make post not too short, beef it up with some content.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Banned

Hi OrlandoInsurance,

It is very good question.Of course you have to put into the content.If you only leave in the signature, it may be moderated by administrator & then it will bedeleted.

THANKS
[Link removed... as was login and duplicate IDs. Was your secret giggle worth it? I sure enjoyed it. ]

Last edited by robjones; 02-16-2011 at 12:39 PM.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russel2tiffin View Post
Hi OrlandoInsurance,

It is very good question.Of course you have to put into the content.If you only leave in the signature, it may be moderated by adminatration & then delete.

THANKS
[removed]
And here is a perfect example of what not to do. This is cruise control for a ban.

Link drop edited by me to not give him juice after it gets deleted.

Last edited by robjones; 02-16-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Banned

hi,
i think you have never used a forum for link building cause in most of the forums its totally prohibited to put links in between the posts. and the anchor text is also not allowed there.
i myself always use my links in the Signature as a BB code. we all know that only BB code is allowed there!

Mod Note: Another profile from the same source as russell2tiffin. cute. LOL. Say goodnite, gracie.

Last edited by robjones; 02-16-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:17 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoInsurance View Post
So we can all agree that posting in a forum is great for building back-links and page-rank.
Well, yeah, I guess I have to agree that forum posting can somehow affect your website's backlinks and PR, especially if the forum you're participating at is a well-established one. But if you're just participating on forums because of that reasons, I guess you're missing a whole lot of stuff out here. Intelligently participating on forums can greatly enhance/improve your knowledge on a particular subject matter. It's also a great way to find new friends and improve your professional skills. And if you're lucky enough, you might find clients here that may want to avail your services.

Quote:
So what is the best way to include your links in your forum posts? Do you want to put it into the content? Or just leave it in the signature? Also how many links would be appropriate per post? 2, 4?
I personally don't mind seeing links on a forum post as long as it's related/relevant to the topic. But if the link will serve no purpose at all but to generate backlinks for a particular site, I'll consider that as a SPAM. And as we all know, being a spammer is not a good thing.

Quote:
If you're talking about the links on your signature, yep, it's all up to you.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:52 AM

You obviously have to have so many posts on your account before you can have a signature link, but what's the rush? if you browse the forums and offer your help to people that are looking for solutions eventually your signature link will be showing and you'll have some great forum responses in your stats.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

It depends on the rules of the forums, but generally you don't allow to post links on your post unless it is relevant to the thread on not for the purpose of promoting your products or services.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:03 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russel2tiffin View Post
Hi OrlandoInsurance,

It is very good question.Of course you have to put into the content.If you only leave in the signature, it may be moderated by administrator & then it will bedeleted.

THANKS
[Link removed... as was login and duplicate IDs. Was your secret giggle worth it? I sure enjoyed it. ]
I am not sure if his giggle was worth it, but I sure enjoyed it. Nice quote!

Bob: From what I have been told in the past, even though you have two links on a forum post, it usually only counts the first. I am not sure if this is the case or not, but if it is, then it won't help you with the second. I am not sure this is the case, just something I heard and always went with.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:08 AM

How does it work for 2 links pointing to different pages of the same domain? I can understand it only passing to one with 2 links to the same page but might be different if your pointing to two different pages.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

I know only one thing that it in any forum links should not be added initially. First deliver the proper and appropriate content and then work properly.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

every forum has his own rules. you should read forum rules first to participate in discussions. Mostly forums do not like link in post. They only allow link in signature.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by signify_1 View Post
How does it work for 2 links pointing to different pages of the same domain? I can understand it only passing to one with 2 links to the same page but might be different if your pointing to two different pages.
f the theory holds any water I would assume that the second link would count since it would be a totally different link. I have seen a lot of blog posts that are like that. Instead of hitting the same link over and over, they send it to a couple of different pages for the same anchor text. Like I said this is an assumption and we all know about those. Maybe one of our gurus on here may be able to clarify this a little.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:34 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoInsurance View Post
So we can all agree that posting in a forum is great for building back-links and page-rank. So what is the best way to include your links in your forum posts? Do you want to put it into the content? Or just leave it in the signature?

Also how many links would be appropriate per post? 2, 4?

Will be considered as one link for backlinking, You can't use it in the post, only in signature.

V7n Allows only 2 links. Others may allow same or more than V7n. You will find the note just above the signature box.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameerulislam10 View Post
Will be considered as one link for backlinking...
And, having multiple links pointing to the same target reduces the amount of PR passed to it, as a page's PR is apportioned amongst all of the links on it prior to duplicate links and those bearing rel="nofollow" being discarded.

The PR apportioned to discarded links is lost; it is not reapportioned to the surviving links.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:13 PM

i think forum link will help if you give link in your signature on the relevant forums.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:35 PM
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_touch View Post
Bob: From what I have been told in the past, even though you have two links on a forum post, it usually only counts the first. I am not sure if this is the case or not, but if it is, then it won't help you with the second. I am not sure this is the case, just something I heard and always went with.
Depends on whether they have the same of different target URLs.

Regardless of the number of posts in a thread, or links in a Signature, 1 link only per target URL is counted.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum