Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Web Directory Issues Issues pertaining to operating or dealing with online directories, or general info about DMOZ, Yahoo!, Google Directory, BOTW, Ezilon, etc.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 06-27-2013, 10:24 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymously View Post
Having said all that if the site does not have unique content it will still be rejected. You can help yourself get a review, but you must also have a site that complies with guidelines and then when that editor does come along, you will be listed.
Which goes to another point, I mentioned in another thread, regarding the paradox of gaining a listing.

Sometimes the best way to get listed is to not submit at all.

By being a content leader, and creating a site that others talk about, it could bring your site to the attention of the DMOZ editor in that particular field.

Imagine actually gaining/earning backlinks because your content rocked and others appreciated it, instead of relying on luck by submitting to as many places as possible --- imagine!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-27-2013, 10:35 PM

I submitted my website home page to DMOZ back in 2012 and to this day it is still not listed. Listing in DMOZ directory will really improve traffic of website.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:22 AM
RIP 2014

Quote:
Listing in DMOZ directory will really improve traffic of website.
It might have done last century but we don't believe it will today. Other threads here will corroborate that.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:52 AM

I would still pay someone to get into DMOZ..

Old 06-29-2013, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantan View Post
I would still pay someone to get into DMOZ..
Why? Did you read any of the replies in this thread yet?

Old 06-29-2013, 06:08 AM

Of course.

Since I believe it has value and even higher since it is impossible to get there. What is rare has value. My experience.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:33 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantan View Post
Of course.

Since I believe it has value and even higher since it is impossible to get there. What is rare has value. My experience.
If it is that valuable then why pay money that you can lose because any site owner offering any bribe to an editor to review and list a site gets the editor and the site banned forever.

Quote:
Sometimes the best way to get listed is to not submit at all.

By being a content leader, and creating a site that others talk about, it could bring your site to the attention of the DMOZ editor in that particular field.

Imagine actually gaining/earning backlinks because your content rocked and others appreciated it, instead of relying on luck by submitting to as many places as possible --- imagine!
Editors do look for and find sites for themselves and yes they are likely to find markey leaders or just ones that belong in their category, not just market leaders. But there are zillions of sites out there and so, whilst DMOZ allow suggestions (personally as I have said many times in many places, I would stop that, but I lost that debate!) why not increase ones chances of being listed by suggesting a site and maybe if the editor does not use the suggestions pool and you are the market leader s/he will find you. Suggestions simply increase ones chance. But then it still can take from a few days to a few years for a review.

#challengecoinscity
If your site complies with guidelines, it is not lost and still awaits that editor t o volunteer for that section. Could be a few more days, could be a few more years, but don't submit again it does not help and can hinder the chance of a review.

On the other hand you could be the editor that many of our suggested sites wait for. You can list your own site, provided that you treat it like your competitors, you can press the button at the bot tom of most sections to volunteer and then you will be told the process. Also believe that most editors fail, first, second......until eventually being accepted.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:14 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
why not increase ones chances of being listed by suggesting a site and maybe if the editor does not use the suggestions pool and you are the market leader s/he will find you. Suggestions simply increase ones chance. But then it still can take from a few days to a few years for a review.
Agree IF (and this is a gigantic IF) the suggestion is made and then 100% or even 200% forgotten about by the person suggesting it.

The fact that threads like this exist show that people cannot do that. They obsess about gaining a listing rather than focusing on working on their website, and its content, which is far more likely to gain them a listing.

So yes. If they follow the guidelines and do a suggestion and then forget about it. I agree with you. Otherwise they end up obsessing over something they are never going to get because they haven't got a good enough site.

One might apply this same rule to dating. Rather than chase something you can't have, work on yourself, and watch how many chase you

Hence my tip!

Old 06-30-2013, 04:14 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Agree IF
The fact that threads like this exist show that people cannot do that. They obsess about gaining a listing rather than focusing on working on their website, and its content, which is far more likely to gain them a listing.
Absolutely

Quote:
So yes. If they follow the guidelines and do a suggestion and then forget about it. I agree with you. Otherwise they end up obsessing over something they are never going to get because they haven't got a good enough site.
I would say they end up obsessing over something they can do nothing about. Once suggested one has done as much at DMOZ as one can. (Short of applying to be an editor and read my post above on this)

Where we differ is that you suggest that having a site that is listable is difficult,
Quote:
they haven't got a good enough site
I don't think so.

What do you mean by not good enough? The only meaning to me is one that does not have unique content on it.

DMOZ does not list sites that are more adds than site and we do not list new forums or blogs, like to see some sustainability with these, but otherwise sites do not have to be mature, they do not have to use the latest gizmos and flashes, neither do they have to look pretty. There are some other sorts of sites that we do not list but for the average site owner these are the basic facts.

The acid test is unique content.

And if when you are browsing DMOZ and think a site does not meet that criteria then flag it up and an editor will take another look. Sites do change over time and we try to check, but some slip the net.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:58 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Where we differ is that you suggest that having a site that is listable is difficult, I don't think so.

What do you mean by not good enough? The only meaning to me is one that does not have unique content on it.
I don't think having a site that is listable is difficult at all. My point is that people obsess over gaining a listing, instead of making their site listable.

The only way to make their site listable is concentrating on content. Which was my point.

People don't do that, and hence their site is not good enough. It does not meet the listing requirements

Old 07-22-2013, 04:59 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
As stated above, a DMOZ listing isn't going to make or break your website in the search engines.

It used-to-be considered a golden ticket to rankings (probably because Google's own directory used DMOZ listings, and also because for some time they recommended directory submissions in their webmaster guidelines highlighting DMOZ and Yahoo Dir as examples)

These days, it really is just a good link/listing.

What needs to be remembered is DMOZ is run by volunteer editors. It's not designed to be a business/commercial venture that communicates with customers. That's where most people get it totally wrong, and it is why their negative comments are all over the web. Because they were rejected.

In some cases, their websites simply weren't good enough to make the cut. It's sad but true. People are massively biased about how great their websites are, when in reality most of them are total junk, look spammy, aren't unique, offer very little to the end user, and have no real use being listed on DMOZ other than the person submitting wanting that trophy link.

In other cases people simply don't follow the guidelines when submitting. Read them, and follow them, and if your website is good, submitted in the right place with the right information, then it has a good shot.

There are two points in the guidelines that no one gets right, so I will repeat them for you, to highlight why most people simply will never get a listing for any website they submit.
  • Descriptions of sites should describe the content of the site concisely and accurately. They should not be promotional in nature. Submitting a promotional description rather than an objective, well written description may significantly delay your site from being listed or prevent your site from being listed at all.
  • Please only submit a URL to the Open Directory once. Again, multiple submissions of the same or related sites may result in the exclusion and/or deletion of those and all affiliated sites. Disguising your submission and submitting the same URL more than once is not permitted.

I would wager that more than 75% of people get rejected because of ignoring one or both of those rules.

The first one is quite simple. Don't make the description of your website promotional. You can tell someone that till you are blue in the face but their description will still include words/phrases like "the best", "the leading provider", "the greatest"... they will also include sales marketing speak trying to "sell" the product/brand. It's wrong, and it's why those submissions are easy to reject. Also, never ever ever ever ever ever ever use the phrase "... and much much more" or variants on that phrase in any directory submission that you do. It's kindergarten and its an instant rejection.

The second one states to only submit once. Simple. You submit again, because you are impatient... guess what. You won't get listed.

Read the rest of the guidelines in DMOZ Guidelines

If you are going to bother to submit, actually take the time to read the guidelines and give the submission the best possible chance of acceptance. Whilst that isn't a guarantee you will get in, I can guarantee if you skip the guidelines especially the two I have highlighted, you won't get in.
My bad.... on late February 2013 i was submitted my website twice, two weeks ago when i check it on DMOZ checker, they say my web is listed, but when i find on DMOZ search, nothing show.. i guess its my bad...

Old 07-22-2013, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_noble View Post
It might have done last century but we don't believe it will today. Other threads here will corroborate that.
But nowadays many people still belief it as fact... including me, until you post this.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Dmoz is one of trusted site.so submitting our site in Dmoz will be considered as trusted web site and also you can get more traffic.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:35 PM

Submitting to DMOZ still worth the deal. My website jumped up +7,xxx,xxx Alexa points just in a couple of days.
I think it still works anyway!

Old 08-08-2013, 07:35 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunmarvel5 View Post
Dmoz is one of trusted site.so submitting our site in Dmoz will be considered as trusted web site and also you can get more traffic.
In regards to trust. It is one of many places to build trust. And one link in DMOZ doesn't instantly make you super trustworthy. There are other ways to build trust in a website.

One is to gain a better business bureau seal.

Another is to deliver great customer service, and have your customers give their "seal of approval" or trust via word-of-mouth or reviews.

This concept of putting all your eggs in the DMOZ basket has got to stop. What you are essentially saying about your own site, is that if it isn't listed in DMOZ then it isn't trustworthy. Do you really want others to pick up your turn of phrase and use it against you? So, put that aside and find other ways to build trust.

Also, a listing in DMOZ will do nothing for your direct traffic. From experience, very few of the listings I have with them have ever garnered much traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birkunproductions View Post
Submitting to DMOZ still worth the deal. My website jumped up +7,xxx,xxx Alexa points just in a couple of days.
I think it still works anyway!
7,xxx,xxx in alexa is probably the equivalent of 1 user installing and using the alexa toolbar to give that rank. I doubt it equates to anything significant at all.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
In regards to trust. It is one of many places to build trust. And one link in DMOZ doesn't instantly make you super trustworthy. There are other ways to build trust in a website.

One is to gain a better business bureau seal.

Another is to deliver great customer service, and have your customers give their "seal of approval" or trust via word-of-mouth or reviews.

This concept of putting all your eggs in the DMOZ basket has got to stop. What you are essentially saying about your own site, is that if it isn't listed in DMOZ then it isn't trustworthy. Do you really want others to pick up your turn of phrase and use it against you? So, put that aside and find other ways to build trust.

Also, a listing in DMOZ will do nothing for your direct traffic. From experience, very few of the listings I have with them have ever garnered much traffic.

7,xxx,xxx in alexa is probably the equivalent of 1 user installing and using the alexa toolbar to give that rank. I doubt it equates to anything significant at all.
Criteria for the "best article directories" - search by google, are:

1. By traffic - which is Alexa rank
2. Actually Google PR rank

P.S I do not want to put any links here

Old 08-08-2013, 10:02 PM
v7n Mentor

Are you saying your article directory is sub 23,000 on Alexa with an associated PR (4+)?

If not then what are you saying? Because if you fall outside that zone then you've just shot yourself in the foot with your own clumsy gun.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

I am still upset that Google, Inc has decided to no longer populate its own web directory with DMOZ listings, this was one of the main reasons to even submit to DMOZ...but it doesn't deter me one bit.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiologyWebmaster View Post
I am still upset that Google, Inc has decided to no longer populate its own web directory with DMOZ listings, this was one of the main reasons to even submit to DMOZ...but it doesn't deter me one bit.
Why doesn't it deter you, what will you end up gaining by submitting then? Just curious.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:55 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seotech View Post
Why doesn't it deter you, what will you end up gaining by submitting then? Just curious.
DMOZ is still utilized by many to populate their own directories, so in essence, one listing in DMOZ gets you backlinks from around the world as webmasters often mirror DMOZ on their sites.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Web Directory Issues

Closed Thread