Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum

Web Hosting Forum Discuss web hosting related stuff.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 11-19-2014, 03:24 AM

VPS or Shared Hosting?

So,
Here is my simple question. Why VPS hosting is Better Than Shared Hosting? Can someone help me with this?
thanks

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-19-2014, 04:32 AM
Contributing Member

VPS is better then Shared Hosting because you have control over the OS and you can install and configure what you wish and how you wish, while on the shared hosting you have to use the installation and configuration as it comes from the hosting provider, although the use of a VPS requires knowledge while the shared hosting doesn't.
Another thing is the speed and the resources you have on the VPS compared to the shared hosting. The thing with shared hosting is that it is user friendly.
The question is for what you need any of them. If you are starting a new website your best option is to go for the shared hosting because is cheaper and can hold you pretty well. You start to look at a VPS when you're outgrowing shared and/or need a more custom environment.
Also you have to realize that in many instances you'll get better performance from a good shared hosting versus a VPS with 512MB of ram for instance (assuming you wish to install control panels for example), and yes there are cases when a shared hosting is the better choice over a low end VPS.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:09 PM

I realize VPS would be better for SEO because it will provide you with multiple IP

Old 11-21-2014, 11:53 AM
Contributing Member

I asked my web hosting provider about the difference between VPS and Shared hosting, and this is their answer:

Quote:
Premium and Business hosting plan are shared hosting. Shared Hosting is very similar to living in an Apartment Complex. In shared hosting, all accounts (sites) must share the available resources with all the other accounts on the server - such as CPU time, memory, and disk space. Business hosting plan allow 10000 visitors per day instead of 5000 visitors per day of Premium hosting. In shared hosting, you can only use around 15%- 25% resources of the server. Business server is stronger than Premium servers 2, 3 times.

On a Virtual Private Server, you are allocated resources that are not shared by everyone. The overall CPU time and memory are shared across all accounts on the machine, but at the same time portions of those resources are always dedicated to each account. You can use 100% resources of the VPS, and reserve the ability to extend resources of using from VPS level 2 to VPS level 6 without waiting for transferring. Upgrade will take place immediately if needed, there will be no data migration process.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:17 AM

In vps hosting you get root access and wherein you can manage it on your own and you get more resources than shared hosting in vps hosting, whereas in shared hosting you get only user level access and you will need to share resources with other users on the server and you get limited resources.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
So,
Here is my simple question. Why VPS hosting is Better Than Shared Hosting? Can someone help me with this?
thanks
It depends on you, can you manage a VPS? can you install and configure web server, SQL server, mail server and ...

Quote:
VPS is better than Shared because it provides dedicated resources + root access (similar type of environment like dedicated server)
No, if you use a OpenVZ or Virtuozzo based VPS, they are working like shared hosting, all the resources are shared between servers

Old 12-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Sam View Post
So,
thanks
It is depend on your business. what size are you business and how many visitor will access you website. Actually, I would recommend VPS since it is high speed hosting which we could say quality hosting. I have problem with share hosting while my traffic increase.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:45 AM

vps has its own dedicated memory hard disk etc.. u have full permission

Old 12-07-2014, 11:11 PM

One main point here to understand is are you comfortable managing the VPS in a Linux console environment on your own? That is the primary difference as most VPS services are unmanaged whereas shared hosting is always managed to some extent. Don't get me wrong, there are managed VPS services but are generally significantly more expensive.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:52 PM
Contributing Member

VPS stand for virtual private hosting. it's mean whole control on server of you. only you can put website on that server, only you. for example if you purchase VPS then there is no other website on that server. whether on shared hosting, lots of website registered on that server. because of this for beginner shared hosting and advance user VPS server is best.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:50 AM

VPS hosting is better than shared hosting because VPS(Virtual Private Server) hosting has many resources than shared hosting. It is good for SEO, due to various IP's.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:51 PM

VPS server hosting has more advantage than shared server hosting. I want to suggest if your business is big and heavy traffic go for dedicated server , If you have less traffic but you are serious about your business go with VPS
1. Security and speed upgrades are possible in VPS or dedicated.
2. Your Ip will be shared with other account in shared hosting, someone can spam and you will be in issue. Like your website will be banned.
3. Vps or dedicated has Operating system, software versions, system configuration these you can select as per your choice.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

VPS has its own IP and you have all permission to control, setup. If you know how to config you can make your site load faster, use less source.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum

Closed Thread