Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 01-18-2018, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

Help with Website Speed

Hi All,

So I started getting into the Divi 3.0 Web Builder because I love the visual builder, but I've been running into issues with builds with sites ending being too slow. Some of the sites get a little fancy and others have a lot of embedding which may be the issue. I was hoping I could get some pointers.

One project I'm working on is a Rocket League Coaching Site. The website looks good, they are growing fast, but the home page is deadly slow taking nearly 9 seconds to load. They wanted cool gyfcats because RL is all about highlights and stuff so I added it in, but now the website is slowing to crawl. They also are getting a good amount of mobile traffic so speed is definitely getting more critical to optimize.

When I pulled the pingdom report it said there was a bunch of webm's around but I do not see them on the home page to pull. The three biggest pages I'm trying to correct for speed are:

- Home Page
- Coaching Page
- Blog Landing Page

The pingdom report is below:

Pingdom

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2018, 12:24 AM
Contributing Member

First of all very nice site man.

Haven't you considered about consulting some web developers?

Old 01-19-2018, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, I have but I want to understand what's up with the site before I go contacting them. In the past, I would just pay folks to fix it and not worry about it, but now I really want to understand what's going on with the web development that is causing the issue so I can prevent backend issues as much as possible. I want to get more educated on this and how to fix it.

Old 01-20-2018, 02:58 AM
Contributing Member

If you check your Pingdom speed analysis, you will find that there are 6 '.webm' files loaded which are excessively large. Use another embedded video player/format or insert snapshots with a link to another webpage/service.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Combine external JavaScript - this can be hard since you are using Wordpress. Cut down on the addons/plugins by finding a way to do what they do without plugins

Leverage browser caching - Google browser cache code, apache to learn how to implement this without a plugin

Minimize redirects - find the right url for these items and change the reference to them with the right url

Combine external CSS - hard to do since these are Google CSS files. Find a way to host the font yourself or pick a different one

Avoid bad requests - you are referencing some urls that are 404 errors. Find them and either eliminate them or correct them.

That's a start...

Old 01-21-2018, 02:51 AM

Consider using Cloudflare, they have a free plan last time I checked. Google "cloudflare website optimization" (I'm a newb so I can't post links) for their page with details on how they can speed up your site.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisf View Post
If you check your Pingdom speed analysis, you will find that there are 6 '.webm' files loaded which are excessively large. Use another embedded video player/format or insert snapshots with a link to another webpage/service.
Yes, I saw the webm's, but when I look at my code and the builder itself I can't find the webm's. It looks like it is related to the iframes, but I can't find the damn things

Old 01-21-2018, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donesmart View Post
Consider using Cloudflare, they have a free plan last time I checked. Google "cloudflare website optimization" (I'm a newb so I can't post links) for their page with details on how they can speed up your site.
We switched to Cloudflare about 2 weeks ago. We actually tried the cache thing, but it screwed up the design formatting on our website for some reason so we had to turn it off.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:36 PM
Contributing Member

Hi everyone,

I managed to make significant speed optimizations using a youtube speed optimization plugin, Smush Pro, GTMetrix, and auto-optimize. There were several things I couldn't get to because I'm not super technical on some of the items notice, but I did cut load times by several seconds.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:57 PM

Hi Chupa,
Divi is really beautiful but sucks when you think about speed optimization. Your page size is quite large too. Use the following plugin combination WP super cache+Autoptimize+Async JavaScript and minimize redirect chains if possible which take more time to load the page. If you're not technical, consult with a reliable developer.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the recommendation for Async JavaScript. That cleared up one of the major items on the GTMetrix report . I have caching setup with Cloudflare, but it never shows up on the GTMetrix report for some reason.

The redirect chains are a big problem for this site. Unfortunately, this one does not seem to be an easy fix for a plugin :-/. Finding a reliable developer who can fix the issue is now my problem.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

The site looks great, but: 381 Requests is way to much, you have to bring this number down. Use what #HTMLBasicTutor wrote. There is a couple of plugins that could help you with the speed issue. Like: WP Super Cache - W3 Total Cache - WP Rocket <-- one of those would definatly help you a long way. There is a lot of tutorials that show you have to use these plugins.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum