Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues

Controversial Social Issues Discussions concerning controversial social issues. Topics include politics, religion, culture, social and economic issues, etc. Respect required at all times.

Share |
Old 05-21-2010, 01:53 AM
Banned

Artificial living cell will benefit humanity?

Quote:
Heralding a potential new era in biology, scientists for the first time have created a synthetic cell, completely controlled by man-made genetic instructions, researchers at the private J. Craig Venter Institute announced Thursday. '

More about this at... http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...p_editorsPicks

It is already being described as "one of the most important scientific achievements in the history of mankind" - a new, entirely artificial life form created in a laboratory.

The cell was created in the laboratory of American scientist Dr Craig Venter, who told Newsnight that it was a breakthrough that would benefit humanity. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...ht/8696148.stm
I dunno what will i react after reading this news, i guess science boost too much..

It is not a clone, or a genetically modified organism, but a synthetic living cell. It is being hailed as a huge scientific step, but some are saying it is a step too far.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Humans have created life. This is a very big step that should not be taken lightly.
There are probably millions of applications (good and bad) for this that haven't even been dreamed up yet.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

I think it could be a good beginning in the creation of life itself.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:38 AM
v7n Mentor

I'm not sure replicating a bacterial chromosome and replacing
the original chromosome of a cell with it actually amounts to creating life.
It seems all they have really done is artificially replicate a chromosome. Right?
Got to be some money in that somewhere though.

That certainly makes it worth doing. ( couldn't find my 'tongue in cheek' symbol )
humm ... is this it?

[YT]7edeOEuXdMU[/YT]

Last edited by rabble; 05-23-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:34 AM
Banned

Was the development of nuclear capability used only to bring power etc to people? Nope. It was used to create earth destroying weapons.

Was discovering how to use atomic power used for the benefit of mankind only? Nope...it, too, was made into weapons capable of destroying entire cities....military and civilian alike.

In a century, perhaps half at this rate, human beings will be unrecognizable by modern standards. We will have modified ourselves, either to adapt to other environments, or just for the amusement of it, to the point where we will have little in common with contemporary people. I can envision the most popular Christmas present of the next century a do-it- yourself life kit, and mothers haranguing their children that if they don't start cleaning up after all those life forms they've created, they're not going to be allowed to have any more!! (Some things won't change.)

Thank you for the observation that we have been genetically modifiying plants and animals for centuries. Every time I encounter a troglodyte who whines about the superiority of the "natural" vs the "man made," I wonder what planet he's from. Certainly not the one where farmers mate animals to produce superior breeds, where Norman Borlaug cross pollinated wheat and rice and saved a billion people from starvation.

It's not that you aren't correct to note the dangers; at least you are among the few who got it right--it's not change that will be the problem, but the speed of the change. While the guy who first brought fire back to his clan was doubtless greeted by a chorus of hand wringers wondering if we had the wisdom to utilize this new discovery properly, the fact remains that we're still here. After each world altering discovery, and the--not necessarily unfounded--worries that we will lose control of our new tool, we persist. Fire, electricity, nuclear fission; we survive and flourish.

I think what' missing (and though the point has been made before, it's worth reiterating) is the recognition that we didn't create ourselves. We are the product of billions of years of evolution, and that has endowed us with inquisitive intellects, the ability to formulate methodology with which to ask questions and answer them. The failure to use that capacity is not just a waste, but a betrayal of all the generations of humans and pre humans who lived and died before us.

While we do share most of our dna with the other carbon based species inhabiting this rock, there is also a dichotomy that must be considered. As much as we have in common with all other life, we are also radically different--we are the only species on this planet that can leave it! And we will. Minds as inquisitive as those of humans can't be confined to just one planet.

I'm amused by the notion of nature as "mother." Would anyone consider a proper parent one who murders her children just to start all over again? Yet, every 90,000,000 years, old mom nature gets bored with the way evolution is proceeding down here, drops a big rock on the planet, wipes out around 90% of the species, and starts all over again. The universe isn't hostile to us, nor does it love us; to nature, we're just zip lock bags full of dna, and our only function is to contribute that dna to the process of evolution, after which, we can just wander off somewhere and drop dead.

Nature, I think, miscalculated; by giving us intellect, it altered the power balance. Now,we're giving the old girl some competition.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:52 PM

Its wonderful to live in a time when things like the possibility of creating life is going on all around us. But you are right -jannah is awesome- about what evil will be done with this type of finding.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:03 AM
v7n Mentor

I'm not all that impressed. What viruses do to a cell
is much more awesome and viruses don't even have a brain.

I don't buy the argument we should do things just because we can.
A lot of what we humans do because we think we are gifted with intelligence
actually proves how dumb we are.

Last edited by rabble; 05-26-2010 at 11:08 AM.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:57 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Artificial living cell will benefit humanity?
Kinda like the way nuclear power has helped humanity solve it energy problems?

Hiroshima and Nagasaki
3 Mile island
Chernobyl
And now we have to worry about terrorist getting ahold of a nuke?

Oh yea, I see a lot of good coming from artificial life. We can "somewhat" control a nuclear weapon. But a new bacteria or virus? Thats going to be a different story.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Forum Lobby > Controversial Social Issues