Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
  #21  
Old 09-02-2014, 09:42 PM
rootways's Avatar
rootways rootways is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 01-06-14
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,013
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunthomas203 View Post
I recommend PHP as hosting is cheaper and open source applications can be found online which may ease ur task. (considering you have asked for a comparison between java and php to choose for development).
I think you have not read Question carefully!! OP is Comparing PHP and Javascript not Java.....
 
Reply With Quote

Advertisement

Advertisement

  #22  
Old 09-03-2014, 01:59 AM
Frankie GTH Frankie GTH is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 03-14-13
Posts: 18
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Builders View Post
I want to add functionality to my website. I know neither php nor javascript. Which one should I learn? Which is easier?
If you value the opinion and experience of a seasoned web dev, then you should learn both. You should learn the simple basics of PHP (the so-called includes, operators and variables), and get a good working knowledge of either native/vanilla/pure Javascript or jQuery. The latter is a Javascript framework with a somewhat easier syntax and a lot more functionality in older browsers.

You need the PHP to include repetitive codes, such as the navigation menu, on your pages. And you need the Javascript to create so-called dynamic HTML, like toggle effects and photo sliders. If you are a beginner, I would suggest to learn jQuery.
 
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-03-2014, 03:42 AM
quickscrum quickscrum is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 08-19-14
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 31
iTrader: 0 / 0%
PHP is not going to disappear immediately, but its positions are undermined even further by the nascent Node.js.

When the Internet exploded in the 2000s, PHP was a thing all the cool kids did. It was extremely revolutionary, because:

It was an interpreted language unlike C++ or Java which require the source code compilation
It had the ability to be used directly with HTML by mixing within its template files with a <%php ... %> markup tags
It had cheap shared hosting providers on Apache servers with a Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP (LAMP) stack
It had a functional nature which is easier to learn than the object-oriented programming
 
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-03-2014, 04:44 AM
Frankie GTH Frankie GTH is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 03-14-13
Posts: 18
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by osin0126987 View Post
start with HTML, CSS, javascript and then learn PHP and MySQL
I've been making websites since ages, but my clients rarely require(d) databases. So MySQL knowledge isn't exactly a requirement to make good websites, for private persons and small businesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickscrum View Post
PHP is not going to disappear immediately, but its positions are undermined even further by the nascent Node.js.

When the Internet exploded in the 2000s, PHP was a thing all the cool kids did. It was extremely revolutionary, because:

It was an interpreted language unlike C++ or Java which require the source code compilation
It had the ability to be used directly with HTML by mixing within its template files with a <%php ... %> markup tags
It had cheap shared hosting providers on Apache servers with a Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP (LAMP) stack
It had a functional nature which is easier to learn than the object-oriented programming
The question is indeed what the future will be: server-side Javascript or traditional server-side scripting like PHP or ASP(X). But for the time being, it is still all PHP and ASP(X). Which don't need installing it yourself.

Furthermore, I would doubt that the OP understands anything of what you wrote in the last part of your post.
 
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-04-2014, 05:34 AM
arunthomas203 arunthomas203 is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 06-24-14
Posts: 68
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootways View Post
I think you have not read Question carefully!! OP is Comparing PHP and Javascript not Java.....
How can we compare PHP and Javascript. PHP is a server side scripting language and javacript is a client side scripting language. PHP cannot be compared with javascript.

We can compare PHP and Java as both of them are Server side scripting languages.
 
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-04-2014, 05:44 AM
rootways's Avatar
rootways rootways is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 01-06-14
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,013
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunthomas203 View Post
How can we compare PHP and Javascript. PHP is a server side scripting language and javacript is a client side scripting language. PHP cannot be compared with javascript.

We can compare PHP and Java as both of them are Server side scripting languages.
I Know that but that is what OP is Asking.....
 
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-04-2014, 11:04 AM
Frankie GTH Frankie GTH is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 03-14-13
Posts: 18
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunthomas203 View Post
How can we compare PHP and Javascript. PHP is a server side scripting language and javacript is a client side scripting language. PHP cannot be compared with javascript.

We can compare PHP and Java as both of them are Server side scripting languages.
Java is not a server-side language. It is a language to create programs. Programs which will (only) run on computers that have Java Virtual Machine (JVM) installed.

Those are two very different things. Maybe you're mistaking Java for Node.js, which is a new type of server-side Javascript?
 
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-06-2014, 11:27 PM
arunthomas203 arunthomas203 is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 06-24-14
Posts: 68
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie GTH View Post
Java is not a server-side language. It is a language to create programs. Programs which will (only) run on computers that have Java Virtual Machine (JVM) installed.

Those are two very different things. Maybe you're mistaking Java for Node.js, which is a new type of server-side Javascript?
No. JSP from Java is used for creating websites. Considering the question asked, he need to add some functionality to his existing website. This is no way related to OS based application development.

For web application development, PHP, Java, ASP.net, Ruby on Rails are some of the popular web application development languages.
 
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-08-2014, 03:50 AM
Frankie GTH Frankie GTH is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 03-14-13
Posts: 18
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunthomas203 View Post
For web application development, PHP, Java, ASP.net, Ruby on Rails are some of the popular web application development languages.
Again: you make it sound as if Java is a server-side language, which it is not. JSP is, and it is based on Java, but they are not the same. And as the devil is often in the details, the OP won't gain much by learning Java.

Also, the OP's question was whether he should learn PHP or Javascript.
 
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-08-2014, 05:08 AM
arunthomas203 arunthomas203 is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 06-24-14
Posts: 68
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Sorry, I meant JSP. My point was PHP and Javascript cannot be compared as one is server side scripting language and other is client side. Both are for different purposes.
 
Reply With Quote
Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Java stormshadow Web Hosting Forum 2 06-06-2011 05:14 PM
.net vs Java juliensimon Coding Forum 14 08-17-2010 03:34 PM
Java mixelplik Coding Forum 1 04-09-2009 11:29 AM
.NET or Java? Ashish Web Hosting Forum 1 09-08-2004 11:26 PM


V7N Network
Get exposure! V7N I Love Photography V7N SEO Blog V7N Directory


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:08 PM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Copyright © 2003 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC