Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 09-02-2014, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunthomas203 View Post
I recommend PHP as hosting is cheaper and open source applications can be found online which may ease ur task. (considering you have asked for a comparison between java and php to choose for development).
I think you have not read Question carefully!! OP is Comparing PHP and Javascript not Java.....

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-03-2014, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Builders View Post
I want to add functionality to my website. I know neither php nor javascript. Which one should I learn? Which is easier?
If you value the opinion and experience of a seasoned web dev, then you should learn both. You should learn the simple basics of PHP (the so-called includes, operators and variables), and get a good working knowledge of either native/vanilla/pure Javascript or jQuery. The latter is a Javascript framework with a somewhat easier syntax and a lot more functionality in older browsers.

You need the PHP to include repetitive codes, such as the navigation menu, on your pages. And you need the Javascript to create so-called dynamic HTML, like toggle effects and photo sliders. If you are a beginner, I would suggest to learn jQuery.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:42 AM

PHP is not going to disappear immediately, but its positions are undermined even further by the nascent Node.js.

When the Internet exploded in the 2000s, PHP was a thing all the cool kids did. It was extremely revolutionary, because:

It was an interpreted language unlike C++ or Java which require the source code compilation
It had the ability to be used directly with HTML by mixing within its template files with a <%php ... %> markup tags
It had cheap shared hosting providers on Apache servers with a Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP (LAMP) stack
It had a functional nature which is easier to learn than the object-oriented programming

Old 09-03-2014, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osin0126987 View Post
start with HTML, CSS, javascript and then learn PHP and MySQL
I've been making websites since ages, but my clients rarely require(d) databases. So MySQL knowledge isn't exactly a requirement to make good websites, for private persons and small businesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickscrum View Post
PHP is not going to disappear immediately, but its positions are undermined even further by the nascent Node.js.

When the Internet exploded in the 2000s, PHP was a thing all the cool kids did. It was extremely revolutionary, because:

It was an interpreted language unlike C++ or Java which require the source code compilation
It had the ability to be used directly with HTML by mixing within its template files with a <%php ... %> markup tags
It had cheap shared hosting providers on Apache servers with a Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP (LAMP) stack
It had a functional nature which is easier to learn than the object-oriented programming
The question is indeed what the future will be: server-side Javascript or traditional server-side scripting like PHP or ASP(X). But for the time being, it is still all PHP and ASP(X). Which don't need installing it yourself.

Furthermore, I would doubt that the OP understands anything of what you wrote in the last part of your post.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:34 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootways View Post
I think you have not read Question carefully!! OP is Comparing PHP and Javascript not Java.....
How can we compare PHP and Javascript. PHP is a server side scripting language and javacript is a client side scripting language. PHP cannot be compared with javascript.

We can compare PHP and Java as both of them are Server side scripting languages.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
How can we compare PHP and Javascript. PHP is a server side scripting language and javacript is a client side scripting language. PHP cannot be compared with javascript.

We can compare PHP and Java as both of them are Server side scripting languages.
I Know that but that is what OP is Asking.....

Old 09-04-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:

Java is not a server-side language. It is a language to create programs. Programs which will (only) run on computers that have Java Virtual Machine (JVM) installed.

Those are two very different things. Maybe you're mistaking Java for Node.js, which is a new type of server-side Javascript?

Old 09-06-2014, 11:27 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie GTH View Post
Java is not a server-side language. It is a language to create programs. Programs which will (only) run on computers that have Java Virtual Machine (JVM) installed.

Those are two very different things. Maybe you're mistaking Java for Node.js, which is a new type of server-side Javascript?
No. JSP from Java is used for creating websites. Considering the question asked, he need to add some functionality to his existing website. This is no way related to OS based application development.

For web application development, PHP, Java, ASP.net, Ruby on Rails are some of the popular web application development languages.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:50 AM

Quote:
For web application development, PHP, Java, ASP.net, Ruby on Rails are some of the popular web application development languages.
Again: you make it sound as if Java is a server-side language, which it is not. JSP is, and it is based on Java, but they are not the same. And as the devil is often in the details, the OP won't gain much by learning Java.

Also, the OP's question was whether he should learn PHP or Javascript.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:08 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry, I meant JSP. My point was PHP and Javascript cannot be compared as one is server side scripting language and other is client side. Both are for different purposes.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum