Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum > Social Network Marketing

Social Network Marketing Social media discussions. (Facebook, Twitter, Digg, MySpace, LinkedIn, etc)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-10-2010, 08:09 AM

High PR social bookmarking with nofollow vs low PR with dofollow links?

On one side there are high PR social bookmarking websites, like digg and http://www.reddit.com/ that use the "nofollow" HTML tag

and on the other side are low PR websites that don't use this tag and offer quality links like http://business-planet.net/ , http://www.pricespecs.com and others.

Which of them do you consider that offer more for a blog?

Old 03-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Contributing Member

Looking for an answer to this question.

It is my understanding that Bing and Yahoo do not take into consideration the "No Follow" tag, whereas Google does. this could change at any moment, but if its true and you want to rank on Google, id stick to the dofollow sites probably for now.

Maybe split it 80 / 20% Do Follow with No Follow.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:55 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Social bookmarking sites are considered the great source of traffic. So, if you are using these sites for traffic then there is no matter of DoFollow or NoFollow. But your object is increasing SEO values then DoFollow is better.

Thanks
Franky

Old 03-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

I would go for relevance. Traffic is the real object. If you stop worrying about follow or nofollow and simply go for what really works for your niche, you will get PageRank and visitors.

Let's connect on Google+ and share what we're reading and writing.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:14 PM

Do follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovimmm View Post
On one side there are high PR social bookmarking websites, like digg and http://www.reddit.com/ that use the "nofollow" HTML tag

and on the other side are low PR websites that don't use this tag and offer quality links like http://business-planet.net/ , http://www.pricespecs.com and others.

Which of them do you consider that offer more for a blog?
With out a doubt I would want 10 do follow low pr links than one no follow high pr link. Unless the high pr link just generated traffic on its own.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

i prefer traffic and don't care about dofallow or nofallow.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:20 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
??

I just read an online book by a guy who explained that he was having lots of dofollow links but his keywords ranked 13th and 14th. He decided to experiment and added 60 nofollow links. And guess what - the keywords went up to the 3rth and 4rth place. So, it may be better to have a diverse mix of links rather than dofollow only.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:10 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

If your aim is to increase SEO value then you should stick to the Do follow links

Old 01-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
??

Quote:
Originally Posted by palme View Post
i prefer traffic and don't care about dofallow or nofallow.
Me too, but I build links to increase the SERP, so that I have more organic traffic from google and other search engines. The traffic from social media websites comes and goes, be it dofollow or nofollow. And oftentimes, people don't even read much of what you posted.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

When I link build I usually seek out do follow blogs to comment on but not always. If you make informative and useful comments on popular sites it will benefit you. I'm a regular at Techcrunch.com, that site has excellent traffic so the chances of your comment being noticed is good. I also found some cool blogs from others who comment, and many of their blogs turned out to be do follow. Becoming successful on the internet is all about popularity, so get yourself out there in an "all of the above" approach and you will gradually build up your traffic numbers.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:58 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

With respect to getting traffic do follow or no follow do not matter.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelS View Post
I just read an online book by a guy who explained that he was having lots of dofollow links but his keywords ranked 13th and 14th. He decided to experiment and added 60 nofollow links. And guess what - the keywords went up to the 3rth and 4rth place. So, it may be better to have a diverse mix of links rather than dofollow only.
Very interesting. Do you recall the name of the book?

Old 01-15-2011, 04:14 PM

I've heard the safest thing is getting both Dofollows and Nofollows because getting just one type of link looks "unnatural" in the eyes of the Google monster. Same thing with having all your links from just social bookmarks or just directories. Vary up your link building campaign to involve everything for the best results. However, that being said, getting links from dofollow, high PR, sites within your niche are probably still the best!

Old 01-17-2011, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Having a varied link profile does look more natural. I do a fair amount of blog commenting these days because we have a blog challenge. I don't care whether they are followed or not. And if you are blog commenting for the right reasons, it's not a consideration. Most people don't even know what a nofollow attribute is.

I'd even wager a link profile with a large number of followed blog comments and few or none with the NF attribute would be prime target for a Google spam filter. On the other hand, the only thing the no-follow attribute controls is the passage of your PageRank; it doesn't mean that other factors can't flow, does it? See what the experts say when asked whether nofollowed links influence SERPs.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum > Social Network Marketing