Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum > Social Network Marketing

Social Network Marketing Social media discussions. (Facebook, Twitter, Digg, MySpace, LinkedIn, etc)

Share |
Old 08-13-2010, 07:03 AM

Website vs Social Media

I think this topic is getting hotter with an increase popularity of social media sites. In my opinion it should not be matter of choice between website and e.g. Facebook. The website is essential, and the social media sites are places where you should be if your potential clients hang out there.
Website and social media are highly relevant and both can feed into each other and create a stable foundation to your business.
1. Website is a virtual reflection of your business, your e-business card, which provides your existing and potential clients with key information about you, your product/service, allows them to contact with you.
2. Social Media (e.g. Facebook, Twitter) are valuable and useful tools, allow your customers to spread the word about your business and take an active part in your brand building.
What is your point of view?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2010, 08:51 AM
v7n Mentor

Right, every business should have a website. Even small-time businesses, bands, clubs, organizations should. The trick is to get the 'meat' of the content on domains you own and pull in traffic from social media sites by using teasers or excerpts.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:29 AM

I guess when you look at this page, upper potion social media and Web site is down that is bottom portion is website.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:24 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, I agree, both are significant in making the business work, there are a lot of of techniques, but I can say this two helps the most.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Contributing Member

I agree as well. They compliment each other and do not compete. Some people like apples, some like oranges.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:40 AM
Contributing Member

Social Media is just another tool to help your business gather exposure. by combining it with your website it will add exposure and posible traffic to your site.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:12 AM
Administrator

I would say the first priority is your website:

1 ) You are in control because you own the domain and web hosting (assuming this is in your own name and you have kept everything separate, not bound by some contract that it's in someone else's name or you loose the domain if you change hosting). Hopefully you also own the design and technology behind it so you are in control of it's destiny.
2 ) You are in control of and can provide useful information for your target audience. i.e. You provide content that once a visitor arrives they are drawn in to read more, buy something or whatever the motive is to drive traffic to the site.
3 ) You are in control of the on-site search engine optimization of the site (if it's built the right way) so the site can be found in the search results.

Why did I keep saying "You are in control"? Because on social networking, bookmarking sites and places like Hubpages you are not. They could be gone tomorrow. They could be gone after years (e.g. GeoCities).

These places are "accessories" to your business. Yes you should participate on the ones where you are going to get a return on your investment into them (i.e. where your target audience is) but they shouldn't be Your Business anchor like a website is.

Case in point: GeoCities was a free hosting account provided by Yahoo! It was around for years and some people built their whole business on this account. When Yahoo! closed GeoCites, there was no way to forward your business traffic to a new location. These people had to start all over again from scratch.

I'm not the only one of this opinion:
Quote:
I wanted to take a little more time today to discuss that idea and then offer some reasons why you might forego a site in favor of Facebook (or any other popular social site) and then explain why I think having your own site is so much more important and why it’s more valuable to you than your presence on Facebook.
Why Your Website is More Valuable Than Facebook

There is a diagram in that article to show you how you use your website as your "home base" as the author calls it and social sites as feeders to the website.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:55 AM
Contributing Member

it depends, there are some products/services, where you don't need to have a websites to show everyone what do you have, you just simply post them on some social networking sites (Facebook) or ebay...

Old 11-09-2010, 05:20 AM
Banned

Your only using social media sites is because for advertising, market positioning and promotional efforts, your presence is scattered across the web. Ans still your website is your online center of operations, plain and simple..

Old 11-10-2010, 01:19 AM

Social media is more of interacting with your old school friends and family or relatives abroad. It's much cheaper to connect with them via social media so I think it's way better.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteersR View Post
Social media is more of interacting with your old school friends and family or relatives abroad. It's much cheaper to connect with them via social media so I think it's way better.
Social media may be cheaper than setting up and maintaining a website, but it's not a matter of one versus another. Social media is very good for interacting with people, but if you're using it for your business, the end goal is to get people to go to (or continue going to) your business. That's where your website comes in, as it contains business information and details.

If you get someone online interested in what you do through Facebook and Twitter, it would help a lot to have a website for them to go to. Not only would it make it easier for them to find out more about your business, a website is something they could easily pass along to others if they want to recommend you.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:38 PM

Both are good for marketing and promotion but Social Media Networks are more effective and significant in these days...

Old 11-12-2010, 12:40 AM
Banned

website is important and it represent as your online brand...social networking is where we people use to go to interact and communicate

Old 11-17-2010, 07:15 AM
Banned

I dont think that your website and social media should be a question of which you should use! Both are essential! The social media sites are great for networking but you need a website to have all of your products and whatever!

Old 11-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteersR View Post
agrees with this, most social media i've seen monitors recent updates on facebook, current tweets and other socal networking updates

and some are also news content aggregator where you can choose those which are relevant to your business then post your updates either on facebook or twitter. definitely a tool for business monitoring and exposure.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:26 AM
Contributing Member

Of course using both of them together is the best choice but I have another opinion too. Its possible that a website reach to it's purpose without using social media sites. Using social media sites doesn't guarantee having more traffic or sale. Using social media sites is one way and there are many other good ways too.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

The internet industry will not be as competitive if there is no website. Website composes the web. People can generate business through their own website. But how can they market it? Social media is one that could help them sell their business. If it is a website alone, there is no chance that your website will hit the mark of its expected sales through your products. Facebook is a good choice as far as marketing your site in the web si concern. You can meet up potential customers through this social media site. For me, facebook has become a good medium between a seller to the potential customers in the web.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:14 AM

Well, website and Social Media can't stand Opposite to each other. Infact both should go together for maximum benefit. A website can be in our control and can be modified as per our requirement but in case of social media only restricted user rights are provided to us. We can't control or change the theme of Social Media as per our needs.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

I think that you should utilize both. If you have a website or a blog you can send your visitors to that no matter where they are. With social media people discuss topics and that is where you come in if you are a marketer.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:59 AM
Contributing Member

Totally two different concepts: your website is an independent business, and the social media sites, like Facebook, is where you promote your business.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum > Social Network Marketing