Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum > Social Network Marketing

Social Network Marketing Social media discussions. (Facebook, Twitter, Digg, MySpace, LinkedIn, etc)

Share |
Old 11-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Administrator

The Top 4 Myths About Semantic Web (a.k.a. Web 3.0)

Quote:
The Internet is often prone to confusion. All this immediacy and constant status updating can leave people lost when it comes to deciphering the true game changers, like Semantic Web. Will this new, smarter technology affect the way you work online? Yes. Is it all about metadata? Not exactly. Here are the top four widespread myths about Semantic Web (and why you should care):

Huffington Post and Google, have already jumped on the semantic web wagon and are seeing a lot of success.
The Top 4 Myths About Semantic Web

Read up on how you are contributing to Semantic Web via all those social sites you belong to.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-23-2010, 12:27 AM
Administrator

Google Hotpot

If you are participating in Google's Hotpot:
Quote:
Every time you rate a place on Google, we get a better understanding of your likes and dislikes: sushi or steak; coffee or tea; a quiet room with a view, or somewhere near the pulse of city nightlife. Once we can discern your tastes, you’ll start to see recommendations in your search results of places chosen specially for you, with explanations of why you might like them. As you rate more places, you’ll see more and better recommendations anywhere you search for local results on Google -- at your computer or while on the go with your phone.
Ratings and recommendations on Google - Google Hotpot Help

Are you getting the picture of what Semantic Web is about yet? They are going to decide what you want to see, not you.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:36 AM
Administrator

Understanding Google Maps & Local Search – Developing Knowledge about Local Search

Related information about how Hotspot and Google Local are connected:
Quote:
Google has now implemented a new, limited review profile called a “Places Profile” that allows reviews to be shown but requires a new, quasi private profile with at least a public nickname to proceed.
Google Places Now Requiring New “Places Profile” For Reviews

Old 11-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Google wants to know all about YOU

Quote:
Things are getting weird
And so before I leave, let us consider recent statements from Google’s Eric Schmidt;

“I actually think most people don’t want Google to answer their questions, they want Google to tell them what they should be doing next.”

“(…) we know roughly who you are, roughly what you care about, roughly who your friends are.” (source; WSJ )

Essentially, in the future, we will be able to allow Google to think for us. Sounds appetizing don’t it? And just for fun, since we’re going there, seems that Google has also invested in a company that processes DNA. Maybe someday they will know us all right down to the molecular level huh?

So I shall leave it to you, dear reader; do you believe Google (or any powerful company) knowing you better is a good thing? Will it make your life more convenient? Or is this something that has the potential for abuse if it goes out of control and is accepted as the norm?
Read more: Google wants to know all about YOU

Old 11-29-2010, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

What an interesting question to start my Monday considering the Wikileaks thing going on. So, all I can think of at the moment, having only had a half cup of coffee so far, is... will I get any cash back for it, Google?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum > Social Network Marketing