Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum > Social Network Marketing

Social Network Marketing Social media discussions. (Facebook, Twitter, Digg, MySpace, LinkedIn, etc)

Share |
Old 02-19-2011, 08:54 AM
v7n Mentor

Utilising facebook properly

I have a facebook account... Not a page and have about 800 friends.

I regularly post links onto facebook about issues we are discussing on my forum with a link back to my forum.

I'm getting plenty of traffic through the links and find when ever I post a link to facebook I end up with about 20 odd guests viewing that thread on the forum.

My question is that many of the topics I post to facebook have room for discussion and everyone ends up discussing it on facebook commenting on my link! How can I encourage or manipulate people to do the commenting on the thread on the forum rather than using facebook comments?

Any ideas, tips or suggestions on how I can convert these people into users and get the using the forum to talk about the topics I post?

Thanks!

Last edited by Midwifery Online; 02-19-2011 at 08:59 AM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2011, 03:41 PM
v7n Mentor

Don't just post the link on your facebook, ask them to comment on the forum as well. If they don't know what you'd like them to do, how can they do it? You could also mention they're missing forum comments only posting to the facebook area. That could entice some, if they're already in a mood to talk about it, to visit another place talking about the same thing. They might want to weigh in there as well.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:56 PM
v7n Mentor

I don't just post the link literally, but put in a sentence.

Blalblalba... What's your thoughts or opinions?

So i try to entice them to participate they just do it on the facebook profile! Lol

I have once before said to come comment on the forum and they still posted on the facebook profile.

I don't want to seem too pushy to get them on the forum but do it more subtly ifyswim?

Old 02-19-2011, 05:12 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwifery Online View Post
I don't just post the link literally, but put in a sentence.

Blalblalba... What's your thoughts or opinions?

So i try to entice them to participate they just do it on the facebook profile! Lol

I have once before said to come comment on the forum and they still posted on the facebook profile.

I don't want to seem too pushy to get them on the forum but do it more subtly ifyswim?
The problem with subtlety ma'am is that some don't respond well and need hit in the head with a board I completely agree with not wanting to seem pushy, but some just won't "get it" that you'd REALLY like them to post to the forums unless you find a tactful way to do so, and do it outright. Not to mention, subtlety misses with people when they're busy, and what not. Just be yourself, you obviously have manners, and ask them outright, with the same manners and wonder that is you. I'm sure you'll get results

Old 02-20-2011, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

I feel like i get the same results when i submit V7N threads to facebook. I get a bunch of likes and maybe one or two comments but i'd like the people to reply to the V7N thread. I'm trying to get my facebook friends to join V7N by showing a few good topics that are being dicussed on here.

Sometimes you might have to smack your friends in the head to get them to understand what you are trying to do. Also since people can access FB on there mobile phones, it's easy for them to respond to fresh content on facebook rather then login to the forum.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:46 AM
v7n Mentor

I have noticed that I do get a lot of 'guests' trying to reply to the topics on my forum when I post them to FB/Twitter. But because they have to register they never bother following through.

So what I have done is enabled guest posting to others threads ONLY for a couple of certain forums (with captcha) which I regularly post content from onto the social networking sites.

I'll see how that goes, but now I need to figure out how to change the default username 'unregistered' guests to something else on the guest posting form!

Old 02-20-2011, 10:25 AM

What forum software are you using? So we can try to seek out a answer about changing the "unregistered" to guests or guest poster...etc

I'm sure there is a way to do this.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:42 AM
v7n Mentor

I'm using Vbulletin...

Old 02-20-2011, 11:05 AM

Have you tried changing the usergroup title in your usergroup settings?

Old 02-20-2011, 11:15 AM
v7n Mentor

The name of the group is Unregistered / Not Logged In so it doesn't match up anyway but no I haven't tried changing it.

It would be great if I could find a mod which just automatically registers a users if they post as a guest then reminds them later via PM to add an email address.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:17 AM

Now that would be a good mod. I have not check yet but ask the folks over on www.vbulletin.org if there is a mod for this.

Better link is this one: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=198

Old 02-20-2011, 12:39 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
I feel like i get the same results when i submit V7N threads to facebook. I get a bunch of likes and maybe one or two comments but i'd like the people to reply to the V7N thread. I'm trying to get my facebook friends to join V7N by showing a few good topics that are being dicussed on here.

Sometimes you might have to smack your friends in the head to get them to understand what you are trying to do. Also since people can access FB on there mobile phones, it's easy for them to respond to fresh content on facebook rather then login to the forum.
So hit them with the board already slithers Post something like, "here's a good reason why I think you should join me over at V7N", and then your link

Old 02-20-2011, 12:43 PM

Cricket does that already on FB. They listen to her and not me.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:46 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Cricket does that already on FB. They listen to her and not me.
Use a bigger board? Borrow hers?

Old 04-12-2011, 03:10 AM
Banned

I was also having the same problem, whenever i would post something my added friends would start commenting on my posts of Facebook but not on my threads well, i guess i should try with what others answered in here and yeah i am also using Vbulletin...

Old 04-13-2011, 03:02 AM

Even if would have been there then i would also prefer to post a comment on facebook only..who'll bother to make an account & then post his/her comments..only 1% would bother making an account on the forums.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegratedS View Post
Even if would have been there then i would also prefer to post a comment on facebook only..who'll bother to make an account & then post his/her comments..only 1% would bother making an account on the forums.

This. Some people just can't be bothered to sign up or are just casual passer-bys who happen to have a thing or two to say. But I guess it's better than not getting any reaction at all.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:31 PM

I think it is because people already have accounts in facebook, so it is much easier to comment on your facebook profile rather than creating an account with your forum. Does your forum has a "Login with facebook" function? that might help.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:46 PM
No Longer Active

In my very humble opinion, you need to establish strong relationships in multiple venues so that you can build a solid network. Some folks are simply more apt to comment in specific locations. While some love forum settings, other prefer blogs, or networking sites. Over time, if you have built a truly interactive friendship with those in your various networks, when you ask them nicely if they could do you a huge favor and respond to a thread (in the forum) that is important to you, they will. Keep in mind though that social networking is not a one way street...

You might like these thoughts on it also...
http://tech.v7n.com/2011/02/16/socia...-to-be-social/
http://blog.v7n.com/2011/03/21/youre-doing-it-wrong/

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum > Social Network Marketing