Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum > Social Network Marketing

Social Network Marketing Social media discussions. (Facebook, Twitter, Digg, MySpace, LinkedIn, etc)

Share |
Old 02-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Facebook Files IPO: What It Means For You

Show me the money. (It's a quote from a movie)

Quote:
Facebook shocked no one by filing an initial public offering of its shares today.

The filing was the first glimpse into the company's inner financial workings and, as expected, Facebook said it would try to raise $5 billion when the company's shares begins trading - a number that could eventually be raised to $10 billion and would ultimately value the company between $75 billion and $100 billion.

Today marks the day that Mark Zuckerberg goes from being the guy who makes world-changing technology to the guy who makes money. (He could be worth $20 billion when all is said and done). And it also means today is the day you stop being a Facebook user and become a Facebook customer.

That can mean good and bad things for you, the end user. But one thing is certain: Facebook will never be the same again...
Continued at: http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...ans_to_you.php

Your thoughts on this news?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

The Facebook 'IPO' ( OT ? )

I'm not a fan of Facebook, but would like any feedback on the 'IPO'. How will Facebook benefit any investors, HOW WILL THEY MAKE MONEY FOR INVESTORS ? And how do you use it in regards to SEO?

The reason I ask this is because I think Facebook is nothing but a hyped up version of MySpace. Mark Zuckerberg, ( Mark Suckerberg), more power to him, I guess, and he's got all that free million dollar hype from the media on a daily basis, life can't be better, I guess.

I don't get it, have we lost the concepts of 'original content ?

Old 02-02-2012, 03:45 AM

Facebook's Biggest Risks Explained

Maybe some of information mentioned in this blog post below will help answer a few questions people might have. I understand that there will be ton's of questions about what this IPO is going to do to Facebook from this day forward and more information will be brought up in this thread about it.

Quote:
Facebook is about to jump into unfriendly waters. If founder Mark Zuckerberg thought the company faced fierce competitors in Silicon Valley, he is about to find that the denizens of Wall Street are not nearly so forgiving. There are risks to going public. How does the world perceive your company? Can the platform grow and maintain its edge? The trick for Facebook will be to balance the concerns of its shareholders with the need to push the boundaries of innovation. This is no easy task.

In its S-1 filing today, Facebook outlined a litany of risks for the company going forward. Monetizing the mobile user base in a system dominated by its competitors will be a major challenge going forward. Diversifying its portfolio away from its reliance on advertising will be a big task, one that Google has never quite figured out. We take a deep dive into Facebook's risk factors below.

What Are The Risks?

Facebook's risks are fundamentally tied to the fact that nearly....
Continued at: http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives..._explained.php

Old 02-02-2012, 05:07 PM

A Ludicrous Value Proposition, If Not From Facebook

Another story to read.

Quote:
Some weeks ago, I happened to drive by an evangelistic church whose outdoor marquis speaks about as well of the present times as any I've come across. "And there followed hail and fire mixed with blood," it read, "and they were cast upon the Earth. Like us on Facebook!"

The initial public offering of Facebook stock, now likely to come in May, is as much a test of faith as any corporation has ever given its prospective shareholders. To Facebook's credit, its prospectus, as given in its Form S-1 filing yesterday, makes its plea completely and carefully. Many companies provide a perfunctory paragraph to investors under the "Risk Factors" heading. Facebook's entry reads like a self-indictment.

Most of its money is made from a source that is unreliable, with no guarantee of long-term viability. That's not my second-rate financial analysis of the matter; that's Facebook's own explanation. From Facebook's Form S-1:
Continued at: http://www.readwriteweb.com/enterpri...roposition.php

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum > Social Network Marketing