Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum > Social Network Marketing

Social Network Marketing Social media discussions. (Facebook, Twitter, Digg, MySpace, LinkedIn, etc)

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 02-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Latest Blog:
None

timeline in facebook

I just upgraded my facebook profile to the new facebook timeline and i found it very hard to use. It's overly confusing and you would not know what to do next. Anyone out there who's using this right now please give me some of your thoughts and reviews for timeline.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:53 PM
v7n Mentor

You get used to it.

You no longer see all the stuff like where you posted on other people's pages or commented on their posts. You can find it yourself, under the "Activity Log" button at the top, but now everyone else won't see every comment you make and every move you make on FB.

That's good for privacy, if you don't want all that shared. It caused me some problems in the past. But if you want your friends to know what all is going on, they aren't going to be able to see it unless you post each item to your timeline.

One thing I would mention, if you keep date-sensitive information private, you're going to need to update that. Mine is set to show my birthday, for example, but not the year (not like they can't guess pretty close from my graduation dates). But it's suggested to avoid identity theft not to let your birthdate be public (if anyone stole my identity, they'd give it back, LOL!). But when you activate Timeline, FB will automatically put in date order everything from the day you were born, they dates your children were born, the dates you graduated schools, had various jobs, basically any information it has, even if you have it set to private.

Otherwise, you can't really arrange stuff on it. It runs in order of newest at the top, and has a 2-column design. Stuff moves randomly from one column to the other with no meaning, and sometimes you will see the same item in both columns (especially if you delete things). Mostly it will show things you post TO your timeline, like pictures and videos you share, anything you post to game feeds, etc. You really have no control over the ordering, though you can set things not to be shown there, or you can manually remove them by clicking on the pencil mark in the upper right of each item.

I hope that helps, if you're having trouble with something in particular, I'll try to help.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Actually I don't know how it will be in the first. For previewing purpose I've enabled the timeline on my profile. And now I'm afraid that i am unable to roll back to the previous profile look. Actually I didn't like the timeline thing but now there is no way to get back to the previous, so I've adjusting my brain to set with the timeline. But, if i get a option to roll back to the previous look, i will go for it for sure.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:17 PM
v7n Mentor

Yes, I did the same. "Preview." But there is no way to change back at this time, as far as I know. It's my understanding that FB has delayed making it mandatory across all profiles, to gauge the reaction to it.

No matter, believe me, just about the time you start to really like it, they will change it. I actually liked the original FB profile, which looked quite a bit like timeline, except you had full control over what it showed and in what order.

Honestly, I just like the banner photo. Beyond that, I prefer the old style. But I don't think they will be letting us change.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:33 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

There is no specific time line .As per my opinion it should be update instantly.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

I don't want to change. I'm still crossing my fingers that Facebook doesn't force us all to make the change. From the Timelines I've seen, I think having to look for posts on both sides of the line is SO confusing!

Social Media - Facebook Friend Requests
------------------------

Old 02-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Well, I hate to break this to the ones who do not wish to upgrade to timeline but that is going to happen eventually. You might find it difficult to use the interface but we all are aware that FB has updated their interface in time and we have not liked it but we still got used to it. We just need time to accept the Timeline version and get used to it. It is very easier to find the logs of your activity or older posts through Timeline. Well, for me advantages wins over the drawbacks

Old 02-25-2012, 02:13 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Well it might be a bit troublesome but you will soon used to timeline secondly there something very interesting in timeline you can view your older Facebook posts by just clicking.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JashandeepMax View Post
There is no specific time line .As per my opinion it should be update instantly.
What are you talking about?

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 03-23-2012, 03:25 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

I also not liked timeline feature of facebook.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:48 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Time Line from Face Book is the really existing feature to make face book profile eye catching and attractive. We have updated our face book profile with our company logo. We hope that you all also enjoying face book time line feature. Wish You Good Luck.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired Ink View Post
You get used to it.

You no longer see all the stuff like where you posted on other people's pages or commented on their posts. You can find it yourself, under the "Activity Log" button at the top, but now everyone else won't see every comment you make and every move you make on FB.

That's good for privacy, if you don't want all that shared. It caused me some problems in the past. But if you want your friends to know what all is going on, they aren't going to be able to see it unless you post each item to your timeline.

One thing I would mention, if you keep date-sensitive information private, you're going to need to update that. Mine is set to show my birthday, for example, but not the year (not like they can't guess pretty close from my graduation dates). But it's suggested to avoid identity theft not to let your birthdate be public (if anyone stole my identity, they'd give it back, LOL!). But when you activate Timeline, FB will automatically put in date order everything from the day you were born, they dates your children were born, the dates you graduated schools, had various jobs, basically any information it has, even if you have it set to private.

Otherwise, you can't really arrange stuff on it. It runs in order of newest at the top, and has a 2-column design. Stuff moves randomly from one column to the other with no meaning, and sometimes you will see the same item in both columns (especially if you delete things). Mostly it will show things you post TO your timeline, like pictures and videos you share, anything you post to game feeds, etc. You really have no control over the ordering, though you can set things not to be shown there, or you can manually remove them by clicking on the pencil mark in the upper right of each item.

I hope that helps, if you're having trouble with something in particular, I'll try to help.
After reading your post, I think I want to switch to Timeline since it seems to give more privacy. I'm still using the old interface.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Latest Blog:
None

I have been using timeline for months now and I find it okay. I must admit that I hated it at first and there's no way to get back to the original page but it might just be a part of our nature as humans who basically do not welcome change.

It's just a matter of learning to adapt changes and everything would turn fine.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Rose View Post
After reading your post, I think I want to switch to Timeline since it seems to give more privacy. I'm still using the old interface.
You are going to get timeline whether you like it or not. Facebook is switching everyone over to Timeline btw.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 04-12-2012, 03:36 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Once you get timeline, you'll have 7 days before anyone else can see it. This gives you a chance to get your timeline looking the way you want before other people see it.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:46 PM

I updated my Timeline but had to search the Internet for instructions due to so many unknown terms being used.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I guess I found the right place to ask if I'm alone to find that timeline full'o'bugs and laggy?

Old 04-13-2012, 05:53 PM
V7N Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czorny View Post
I guess I found the right place to ask if I'm alone to find that timeline full'o'bugs and laggy?
I have not had an ounce of trouble with it and actually like it a lot. It feels much more personal.

Join V7N on Facebook today! facebook.com/V7Network

Old 04-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

When it comes to personal pages - yeah, that's true. The ability to make as many images of Your Preciousness(not really yours, Cricket, but some generalized unit, let me call it that way) as simply possible is priceless. And I'm again almost not sarcastic.

But. Take business pages - any real improvements? No damn way.

I can understand the new FB marketing policy for business pages (Zuckerberg is greedy for another billion or two, forcing marketers into paid ads), but I won't ever say I like the thing.
The fact that FB execs take dubbel-care for their own asses doesn't mean I gonna take care of them.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:26 PM
V7N Administrator

I am posting more now on The V7N page than I ever have.

Join V7N on Facebook today! facebook.com/V7Network

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum > Social Network Marketing

Closed Thread