Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 07-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Firefox running very slowly.

When I first turn on my machine or right after a reboot, Firefox runs slicker than deer guts on a porcelain doorknob.

Within minutes however, it's running very slowly. Pages take foreeeever to open and foreeeever to load with limited functionality (scrolling delays, etc.) until completely loaded and even then everything is slow. Switching from one tab to another is even delayed.

Deleting the cache does not help. I've uninstalled all add-ons but those I use very regularly (Adblock Plus being one I kept). I've upgraded to 3.5. I always work with at least 5 tabs open, often many more, as well as a number of other apps. I have dual 2GHz core processors and 2 gigs of RAM. This is a laptop.

I hate to say it but these symptoms seemed to begin around the time I started staying logged in to v7n all day (and into the night). At least two tabs are dedicated to v7n at all times even while I'm working on other stuff.

Anybody else experience this or know what's wrong? By the end of the day (x week, x month), it really adds up to significant time consumption so I have to do something. I've just been "living with it" for too long.

As always may the sheer volume of my gratitude warm your very being for months to come.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I've been noticing this too since I upgraded to 3.5. Some forums I'm on will act like a slideshow when I scroll up/down but all is fine when I restart firefox.

Possible memory leak maybe?

Old 07-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Also I should mention that I've run deep scans (complete HD) using Ad-Aware, Spybot and Avast. Have also downloaded and run the MS scan tool. And naturally disk cleanup and defrag.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Coding Tiger
Latest Blog:
Happy New Year 2013

I didn't notice that delay on my PC, only the delayed start time...

You can only hope, like I do, for a quick release of FF 3.5.1

If I knew this would happen I'd never have upgraded...

Old 07-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I was having this problem even before I upgraded. I had hoped the upgrade would fix it, but no.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Also, there's no overall delay on my machine, just in FF.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Oh, and restarting FF doesn't help, only rebooting my machine and then it's good for a few minutes.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Senior Web Developer
Latest Blog:
None

It sounds like a memory leak, but it since not everyone experiences this, it might be related to your addons or skins rather than the browser.

I suggest you try disabling the addons that you have installed. First disable them all, then enable them one by one and test the browser. At the moment that you notice that it leaks then the reason will be the last addon you activated.

My firefox opens very fast and I don't have any leak even on a 3 year old laptop with only a few addons installed.

edit: it can also be because of some of the pages that you often browse. I noticed that opening some googledocs causes my browser to leak. In case you already tested the addons, try opening different pages until you find the one that causes the leak.

(+54 9) 1155 601 661

Old 07-09-2009, 02:44 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

i didn't notice any slowdown , maybe it comes from your computer and not your browser

Old 07-09-2009, 02:56 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

No, I noticed the same thing.

Firefox 3.5 still has some bugs in it. Mine ran slowly too, and even crashed. I had to do a control alt delete -then end firefox.exe process. Then restart firefox with a new session. After a few hours on it would begin to load pages slowly.

I uninstalled firefox 3.5 from the control panel (add and remove). Then I downloaded firefox 3.0.10 from Oldversion.com. 3.0.10 can still be updated and works better than 3.5 for me.

Here's the download if anyone needs it.

http://www.oldapps.com/firefox.php

Old 07-09-2009, 04:13 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I thought it was only me who experienced slow down of FF. It keeps on hanging when opening 4-5 tabs.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:38 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

hmm... fortunately I didn't experience any of that weird stuff going on in FF, even though the my PC at home is five years old now. So, what you guys are saying its not a hardware problem since some of you mentioned only firefox is running very slow and everything else is OK. maybe somethings wrong with firefox version 3.5

Old 07-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
I suggest you try disabling the addons that you have installed. First disable them all, then enable them one by one and test the browser. At the moment that you notice that it leaks then the reason will be the last addon you activated...
Would you include plugins?

Old 07-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Senior Web Developer
Latest Blog:
None

Here is a list of addons that are known to have performance issues:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions

Look at that table and compare with your list of extensions, see if the ones that you have are in that table and if you experience any of the issues mentioned in that website, try disabling it.

If that solves your problem (if it does stop the leak) it might be worth looking for an alternative to that extension

note, I don't know how up-to-date that list is, since now there are newer versions of most of the addons, but I hope it helps anyway.

(+54 9) 1155 601 661

Old 07-09-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
When I first turn on my machine or right after a reboot, Firefox runs slicker than deer guts on a porcelain doorknob.

Within minutes however, it's running very slowly. Pages take foreeeever to open and foreeeever to load with limited functionality (scrolling delays, etc.) until completely loaded and even then everything is slow. Switching from one tab to another is even delayed.

Deleting the cache does not help. I've uninstalled all add-ons but those I use very regularly (Adblock Plus being one I kept). I've upgraded to 3.5. I always work with at least 5 tabs open, often many more, as well as a number of other apps. I have dual 2GHz core processors and 2 gigs of RAM. This is a laptop.

I hate to say it but these symptoms seemed to begin around the time I started staying logged in to v7n all day (and into the night). At least two tabs are dedicated to v7n at all times even while I'm working on other stuff.

Anybody else experience this or know what's wrong? By the end of the day (x week, x month), it really adds up to significant time consumption so I have to do something. I've just been "living with it" for too long.

As always may the sheer volume of my gratitude warm your very being for months to come.
All new generation browsers are slow , the problem is that they are all trying to justify themselves and are fighting over a diminishing market ,due to the recession. Microsoft makes it impossible to leave the page, if I could I would , but what todo next, well the answer is clear go back 2 generations in Browser technology, or play the game , clean your Registry in the morning ,again in the evening and maybe in the middle of the day , use 2 or 3 cleaners as reg cleaners have fallen behind.Ohh Driver software , I have 3 , none are able to meet their claims, back to the stoneage "Anybody out there"???UA

Old 07-09-2009, 07:36 PM

I found Firefox and Explorer of Microsoft a little bit Slow to, i prefer now use Google Chrome,
and in less one year, Google will made a Google Chrome OS (Operatiing System) For FREE
ATTENTION Microsoft!!!
.........YES.........

Old 07-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

It's interesting you should say that...I'm checking out Google Chrome at this very moment.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:58 PM

Browser Google Chrome or Operating System ?
You don't work for GOOGLE :-)

Old 07-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I'm checking out the browser because I'm tired of how slow FF is now. No I don't work for Google.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:14 PM

I See that you like Pure water, do you like Health Product to
see my link, we are create a tool that you can use with you
hown business and create new prospect with!
My business is [Link Removed]
you can see the presentation video [Link Removed]

Last edited by Muddy; 07-09-2009 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Sorry, drop linking is not allowed.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk