Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.

Share |
Old 07-20-2009, 04:04 PM

I miss some of functionality of 6 over 7 and 8. The whole favorites is a nightmare to
organize on the fly and the button setup is hideous.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-21-2009, 01:10 AM
Banned

My old version of Internet Explorer (6) is now dead. On both computers.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:21 AM
v7n Mentor

IE6 has caused me enough headaches in the past too. Thank god for css hacks.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:24 AM
Contributing Member

i have IE6 in my computer but i did not use it. i use firefox for browsing or any other works. i use IE6 some but i don't get any problem from them. i think its ok.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:11 AM
Contributing Member

Just like me, I really hate using IE especially IE6 and the only way to get over it is to use other reliable browser and never use IE again.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomassi View Post
...Thank god for css hacks.
And those will come back to haunt you later. e.g. when we went from IE 6 to IE 7 there were tonnes of sites broken (including major ones) initially.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Even if you don't generally use IE, you still need to update it to combat it's flaws as it is an intregal part of Windows.

If you have an audience visiting the website that is still using IE6 for reasons beyond their control (e.g. management, IT dept. locked down upgrades) then you can install IE6 in a virtual machine on your own computer for testing purposes.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

IE6 is still very popular being the default browser in MS operating systems.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:38 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahmaan View Post
My old version of Internet Explorer (6) is now dead. On both computers.
Cooool.

I wonder when will we STOP taking IE6 into consideration when we design templates.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:52 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by htmlbasictutor View Post
And those will come back to haunt you later. e.g. when we went from IE 6 to IE 7 there were tonnes of sites broken (including major ones) initially.
I try to stick to the standard as much as possible, but for small stuff(usually div placement) I use the hacks.

Never had problems with them in the past. It's a simple form of "if viewer is using IE6 use this piece of code, if not use this".

Old 08-13-2009, 01:35 AM
v7n Mentor

The MSIE engineering team has posted a blog entry to respond to crazies who post articles that inspire threads like this.

=-=-=-=-=

For technology enthusiasts, this topic seems simple. Enthusiasts install new (often unfinished or “beta”) software all the time. Scores of posts on this site and others describe specific benefits of upgrading. As a browser supplier, we want people to switch to the latest version of IE for security, performance, interoperability, and more. So, if all of the “individual enthusiasts” want Windows XP machines upgraded from IE6, and the supplier of IE6 wants them upgraded, what’s the issue?

The choice to upgrade software on a PC belongs to the person responsible for the PC.

Many PCs don’t belong to individual enthusiasts, but to organizations. The people in these organizations responsible for these machines decide what to do with them. These people are professionally responsible for keeping tens or hundreds or thousands of PCs working on budget. The backdrop might be a factory floor or hospital ward or school lab or government organization, each with its own business applications. For these folks, the cost of the software isn’t just the purchase price, but the cost of deploying, maintaining, and making sure it works with their IT infrastructure. (Look for “nothing is free” here.) They balance their personal enthusiasm for upgrading PCs with their accountability to many other priorities their organizations have. As much as they (or site developers, or Microsoft or anyone else) want them to move to IE8 now, they see the PC software image as one part of a larger IT picture with its own cadence.

Looking back at the post on Digg, it’s not just IT professionals. Some of the ‘regular people’ surveyed there were not interested in upgrading. Seventeen percent of respondents to the Digg IE6 survey indicated that they “don’t feel a need to upgrade....”

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...g-pov-ie6.aspx

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk