Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.

Share |
Old 07-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

Graphics Card annoyance

Hi all, not a serious issue, just annoying. I swapped my hard drive from one type of laptop to another (both Dell's but different models) and I had an ATI graphics card installed on the original laptop with the appropriate drivers. Now in this current laptop, I am not sure what graphics card there is, but I keep on getting a pop-up alarm message indicating "ATI drivers not installed". Not sure what this is. The drivers are on the hard drive, as they were working in the first laptop. Is this alarm coming up because the drivers are on the HDD....but there is no ATI Graphics card on this PC, or is there an ATI graphics card on this machine, and I need to re-install the drivers again or something on the HDD to make them find this card? Hope I have made the issue clear. Perhaps knowing how to find what kind of graphics card I have might help as well. Any ideas?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Senior Web Developer

Quote:
but I keep on getting a pop-up alarm message indicating "ATI drivers not installed". Not sure what this is. The drivers are on the hard drive, as they were working in the first laptop. Is this alarm coming up because the drivers are on the HDD...
It would be a good practice if you switch the HD between machines to do a clean install of your whole operating system, otherwise your machine will be using wrong drivers not only for the graphics card but also for your chipset and it can damage your hardware over time.

If it is not possible to reinstall the OS, I would suggest you use a driver cleaner program to remove any remnants of old drivers, and then install the appropriate drivers for your new hardware.

Quote:
Perhaps knowing how to find what kind of graphics card I have might help as well. Any ideas?
Use this program to find out what GPU model you have:
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
It will also give you other interesting information such as temperature, fan speed, etc.

Also if you need any other information about your machine (CPU, Motherboard, etc...) use this program:
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Old 07-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

If you run XP click start>control panel>performance and maintenance>system
On system properties click on the onglet hardware>device manager>display adaptor then right click uninstall

You should have a restoration disk from the computer manufacturer with your graphic card driver, then reinstall the graphic card driver from the disk restoration and follow the instruction.

It should work fine.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the tips. Any recommendations on a particular driver cleaner software, or would it better to use a program that would actually find out what drivers I need and then install them?

Old 07-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Senior Web Developer

Did your new laptop come with a driver CD/DVD? You can start by using those rather than installing any other program to find drivers.

As for removing the old drivers... there are some paid and some free ones. I'd say if you can afford it look for a paid one because they are safer and they keep backups and have several other tools, I think the most known are drivercleaner (paid) and driversweeper (free).

Also you can follow Natural Element's advice and remove the drivers straight from the Windows Hardware Management screen.

When I changed my graphics card I had similar problems to yours and used driversweeper. It did the job very well, it removed the old drivers, then I restarted the computer and installed the new ones.

One important note, remember to have the new drivers installer ready to use and you don't have to look for them after you clean the old ones. Because after uninstalling the drivers your screen will look bad (you will likely get low resolution and 256 colors), then browsing internet for drivers on those settings is a bit annoying.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

No CD or DVD as it was a refurbished laptop I bought. So I have been looking at some software on the internet, and found Driver Detective. This seems to scan and detect what drivers your PC needs then goes out and finds them and installs them. I am not sure however it removes old drivers. So maybe I need to use something like this to install the correct and up-to-date drivers....then use a driver cleaner to remove all the unused ones....?
Thanks again for your assistance.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Senior Web Developer

Quote:
So maybe I need to use something like this to install the correct and up-to-date drivers....then use a driver cleaner to remove all the unused ones....?
It would be better to remove the old drivers before installing new ones, because the clean up program might accidentally delete new driver files.

Did you run GPU-z as I recommended in the first post? that program tells you what graphics card you have, it's just a matter of going to your manufacturer's website and downloading the drivers.

Feel free to copy here what GPU-z shows and I'll look up for the website where you can download the drivers.

Regards.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:17 PM
Contributing Member

hmmm I'm just wondering have you use a system restore to restore the previous once before it gone haywire?

Old 09-02-2009, 07:14 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadywebber View Post
Thanks for the tips. Any recommendations on a particular driver cleaner software, or would it better to use a program that would actually find out what drivers I need and then install them?
I recommend driver cleaner Pro v1.5,you can download from the website http://www.afterdawn.com/software/de...leaner_pro.cfmfor free.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:41 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the tips. Seems there is a lot more work to this than I initially imagined. Will try and clear current unecessary drivers then intall required ones and see how it goes...

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk