Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.

Share |
Old 08-11-2009, 07:15 PM

How Do I setup a Multiple Monitor Computer?

I would like to setup three or four monitors on my computer. I want the screens to have individual properties but also be connected in a panoramic fashion. Can I add more video cards or should I get a ready made unit that supports several monitors? If so, where's a good place to look for one?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-11-2009, 08:21 PM

Configuring Multiple Monitors on your PC

Three Hardware based ways to Setup Multiple Monitors

1) You can get a USB to VGA Adapter, or USB to DVI Adapter that will allow you to add an extra monitor to your computer via any USB2.0 Port. You can also add multiple extra monitors by using multiple adapters. This is a great option for viewing documents, surfing the web, using Microsoft Office and many other business tasks. This is not a good option for intense graphical situations such as HDTV, Blu-ray, Gaming and 3D / CAD Workstation applications. For those types of scenarios, it is highly recommended that you purchase a high-powered multi-monitor workstation or a Matrox Dual or Triple Head2Go.

2) You can replace or add an extra video card to your existing computer, depending on how many monitors you wish to support. Although this sounds easy enough, this is a rather complex solution for a beginner, especially when trying to find a compatible graphics card. For this reason, I am going to write an entirely seperate post on that topic and will link to it here, very soon.

3) You can buy a pre-manufactured multi-monitor computer. The best place to purchase a multiple monitor computer is at: [url removed].
They carry a multi-monitor computer line called SUPER PC that can support from 2 to 16 monitors.

Once you have your multiple monitor system set up and ready to use, you will need to enable all of your monitors in your “Display Properties” Control Panel. Here is a great link to a complete and animated walkthrough of how to enable your multiple monitors in Windows.

This is what it will look like when you are done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_avGStqZOI

Good Luck!

Last edited by Kream; 08-12-2009 at 05:28 AM.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:42 AM
Artist & Motion Designer

The easiest thing to do would be to buy a dual-head video card and an extra monitor. Dual head video cards are just about standard now though some will differ in that they might not be dual dvi but you can get an adapter if one is VGA. The adapter will range in price from $5 to $15 USD

For three monitors you can get a second card or the Matrox Triple Head To Go, linked in the post above but I can't say yay or nay to its quality or resolution as I've never used it.

The best method for three monitors is two cards but if you have two cards with dual outputs on each card then you're primed for fours monitors so you might as well go for four and get full native resolution on all four.

Dual monitors are pretty much plug and play nowadays. Even card manufacturers will have display options to tweak dual monitors if the default system settings aren't cutting it.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:39 AM
No Longer Active

Dang it! I just barely made it to 2 monitors and now you have me craving 4!

Old 08-12-2009, 11:52 AM
SEO Fanatic

that won't look natural anymore Cricket...

Two big monitors is enough

Old 08-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Artist & Motion Designer

This was just released on Engadget today:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/12/l...handles-qwxga/

Old 08-19-2009, 07:01 AM
Banned

I have found one article which may help you:
http://daggle.com/my-multimonitor-se...ne-computer-76

Old 08-20-2009, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

I had the same idea and I was sure it would be very difficult, but now I think your information will help me to hadle it.Thank you so much!

Old 08-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

If your computer is a desktop,you should buy an external monitor and another video adapter.you can also upgrade your current video adapter that can support muliple monitors,you can do it as follow: plug a monitor into the external VGA port of your laptop and turn on the Dualview feature of Windows XP.
To turn on Dualview, follow these steps:
1.Right click the desktop, and then click Properties.
2.In the Display Properties dialog box, click the Settings tab.
3.Click the Display list and select your external monitor.
4.Select the Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor option. Click Apply or OK.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:00 AM

UltraMon software is excellent for managing multiple monitors.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk