Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.

Share |
Old 02-02-2010, 12:31 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by king aaron View Post
if youve been lucky/unlucky enough to grab and test a copy of the new windows 7 beta, what do you think of it? here's my review

installation went ok (slow as usual)
gui looks good
but then it all goes wrong

looks like vista with a polish, maybe have the same problems as vista

i installed as usual, booted into system, then logged in, then logged inagain, and again, but couldnt get into the system. un installed, format (quick) and reinstalled, this time without seperate user accounts, i was root. booted, and got in. then looked around, nice gui, nice feel, then i tried using the browser, i.e as usual was at a snail pace, didnt connect. tried several times, no joy.
ok, onto apps. the usual suspects are there. media player, messenger, and the likes.
media player works fine, apart from anything other than windows codecs.
messenger didnt like me, wouldnt connect,
lots of dos cmds missing (as is the trend)
but as far as a beta goes, not a bad effort. needs lots more works though.

as far as comparability issues go, i did not get a chance to test, as the system got the old bod syndrome. so that where i ended my test. although in the 4 hrs it did run, it was running fine. but after the bod i could not get it to boot again, so i gave up. even tried a restore, but i do not think that was ready yet either.

anyone else had a go of it? what did you think?

what are your specs?

Installed it on Core 2 Duo, 3gb RAM, 256 VRAM Nvidia
Free Space is about 40gb since I have WinXP on another partition.

Windows 7 RTM Installation for me took in more or less 30 minutes.
Tested the apps almost same speed with Win XP or a bit faster but absolutely faster than Vista.
Tested copy and move of files, and it copies faster than XP.
Tried playing Perfect World - MMORPG from LevelUpGames and based on my experience in Vista, playing it in Win 7 is much faster, and I can even set the game graphics to high without slowing.
The graphics of the game is also smoother compared to Win XP both set in High settings.

BTW Perfect World works in both 32 and 64 bit Windows 7 no problem

I did not encounter any blue screen since installation, have you check if you met the requirements of windows 7? you can check it using Win 7 upgrade advisor

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 04:15 AM

yeah window 7 is nice but m still using xp :p

Old 02-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaz24 View Post
yeah window 7 is nice but m still using xp :p
Thread title is "test and review" not opinions. don't spam just to have a post.

Last edited by jerrodmc; 02-02-2010 at 06:20 PM.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:47 AM
Banned

So I have wound up with a scrazy glitch on Windows 7 tonight...here is the story.

I was attempting to resize my manmade internal turned external hard drive (640GB) and realized that the 7 partitioner couldn't do it (because of where the free space ended up).

This hard drive has two partitions...Windows 7 (E:...my OS reinstallation partition) and My Disk (F: contains all my stuff). I downloaded the free paragon tool and attempted to resize but it needed to restart. No biggie so I did and half way through the installation I bumped the drive and the re-size failed

So...I rebooted into Windows to find out that my desktop was completely screwed up, notification icons were re-arranged, and the system clock was set back to August 12, 2006

Before I even thought about tackling that dillenema...I went ahead and backup to do a clean install.

This time I decided on using Windows 7 Ultimate instead of Home Premium (x64...for fun) and let the installation run its course. OS is reinstalled and when I got to the desktop...sure enough it gave me a lovely message that "This build of Windows 7 is not geniune

Old 02-03-2010, 02:58 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuktar View Post
"This build of Windows 7 is not geniune"
hahaha. busted

I finaly got my card reader installed and working on windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
by following komku's instructions which can be found here: http://komku.blogspot.com/2009/06/wi...w-to-make.html
Downloaded the driver specific to my card reader (Vista driver, haven't tried XP driver though).
Then installed it using the method found on the link. And it works.

Still can't find solution for the battery issue on win7 rtm 32-bit though. Will try to test the workaround ("Draining battery and recharging, must be off while charging).

Old 02-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

Guess it's a bit early that i have stated my card reader was working perfectly coz' its not.
Tested some memory cards and have encountered problem detecting microSD card attached to its adapter.
Card reader is working perfectly on WinXP and has no problem with reading microSD but apparently not on Windows 7, although I managed to install the driver it's still has issues since its for vista.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:55 PM

Windows 7 is the best Windows ever, IMO.

Works as fast as XP, looks as good as Vista with Aero + has a lot of small details that are extremely useful, like when it tells you which program is using a file you can't delete.

Libraries are a very good way of having all your files in a place, yet stored in different folders (yeah, gotta try it to understand).

Resource usage is not much higher than XP, it uses maybe 100-200 Megabytes more of RAM. CPU and Videocard usage (Core 2 Duo + Radeon 3470) are not noticeable at all.

I can have 30 Firefox tabs open and play Fallout 3 with Winamp or Youtube playing music and it switches between them quite fast (I've got 3 Gbytes of RAM).

The only thing I had problems with recently was IPv6. I don't use it, but for some reason it had the exclamation mark in Device Manager. I just disabled it and forgot about it. Seems to work.
Also, the 64-bit version of Vista was giving me very strange problems with video playback (it was either slow or distorted), and I don't know about 7 as I'm using the 32 bit edition.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Contributing Member

Windows 7 battery issue solved by workaround method, battery mus be drained and recharged or simply recalibrate.

Turned on the laptop but did not boot up on windows just accessed the bios. I left it to discharged the battery. When the battery is empty, I plugged it to recharged until its full.
Then turned it on and tada! no x sign on the battery, no "consider replacing your battery" notification.

BTW all me test on my card reader compatibility is all for nothing, -_-; my laptop manufacturer has released a new card reader driver for windows 7 x86 and x64.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

Well another encounter with a Windows7 bug, I can't edit registry keys.

1st method tried:
Tried running normal regedit and edit some key and returned with a message "Can't write new registry key. Access Denied."

Tried running with "Run As Administrator" and tried editing again. Still the response is the same. Access Denied.

Tried enabling the Real Built-in Administrator Account. And tried editing again. Still response is the same. Access denied.

Tried Setting Permission by right clicking registry key folder and selecting Permissions.
Selecting my administrator account and granting "Full Access" but when I tried to save
message error said "Can't create new permission environment. Access Denied"

Tried also taking ownership of the of the keys and still Access Denied.

Tried editing group policy editor where I set my account can take onership to any object. Still not working.

Last resort tried rebooting in "Safe Mode" then all that I've mentioned here I can now Access.

I tried taking ownership of the registry in safe mode and rebooted on normal to test if I can now edit it since I am now the owner but still "Access Denied."

So I guess I will have to reboot in Safe Mode every time I will edit a registry key. Is this OS more security freak than vista that I cannot edit registry in normal boot?

Old 02-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

Funny, Seems its only on my 64-bit Windows 7. I can edit the registry on my girlfriends 32-bit Windows 7 and can also take ownership of the keys.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:42 AM
Contributing Member

i have been using the Window7 for 2months now. and i should say its great. i have no problem with it, except it needs minimum 1 Gb RAM. i have never used Vista, thats why perhaps i like the 7th interface so much! this is my opinion

Old 02-18-2010, 02:38 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
But i think Windows XP is better than windows 7.....
why do you think so?

Old 02-18-2010, 02:55 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
But i think Windows XP is better than windows 7.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elison View Post
why do you think so?
Guys, the thread is for:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuktar View Post
Put you test and review about Windows 7.

Bugs
Fix
modification
tweaks
clarification
doe's and dont's
So please post experiences on bug, and how to fix them, or workarounds.
Information posted should be useful to those who are thinking about upgrading to windows 7

Please don't spam post just to increase post count.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:31 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrodmc View Post

Please don't spam post just to increase post count.
oh, please i am sorry. I just wanted to ask why he preferes Xp to try to prove that 7th is better. i really think so.it has a lot of libraries that help you to have everything organized, i like its interface very much. and its games! i am fan of Majong...here i dont need to install it
also i like that if i have 10 folders opened they dont occupy all tray.
sorry again if my previous reply looks like smap

Old 02-18-2010, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elison View Post
oh, please i am sorry. I just wanted to ask why he preferes Xp to try to prove that 7th is better. i really think so.it has a lot of libraries that help you to have everything organized, i like its interface very much. and its games! i am fan of Majong...here i dont need to install it
also i like that if i have 10 folders opened they dont occupy all tray.
sorry again if my previous reply looks like smap
Ok, maybe you should have added the statement you have posted above on your post answering Robinson's post. I would have been much better since you have stated what you like and experienced in windows 7.
I did not mean to be unfriendly or anything though, It's just that we should at least help the mods here by making less post that lacks quality.It would make their job easier
It would also help the readers of the thread since usually they are looking for post that can help them.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:07 PM
Contributing Member

Gotta say it is essentially a version of vista with less bugs. I use it on my virtual box but only for things like webcam that are difficult on my Linux machine. I use to love windows but since i went to Linux, I've never looked back. To answer the actual question though, I'd have to say it has been bug free for me since i started using it. they've really started to perfect the Windows OS that was once a complete piece of junk.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:52 AM
Banned

Recently have a crash report and BSOD while installing Adobe CS4 and using firefox 3.5.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:12 AM
Contributing Member

The following is the other face on Win7:
1) When some external device (like External Network card, WiMAX device etc) is plugged out without safe removal, you will get a blue screen of death.
2) I found many softwares not able to run on Win7. Too annoying many times!!

Old 02-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Banned

ZDNet: Last week, reports about Windows 7 using too much memory made headlines. However, ZDNet has since uncovered that the executive quoted in the stories--Devil Mountain CTO Craig Barth--was really a pseudonym for InfoWorld columnist Randall C. Kennedy. In addition, supposed customers of Devil Mountain Software who were cited in the articles say that they don't use the company's software.

Kennedy's employer, IDG, and the Web sites for which he wrote (InfoWorld and Computerworld) have since severed all ties with the writer.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Banned

I'm using Windows 7 and didnt found any problem yet. The only thing i hate is its update service. It founds a update daily and start downloading it. Im seeing from couple of weeks that these updates start filling my drive's free space. Now I have stopped its service.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk