Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.

Share |
Old 03-06-2010, 12:17 AM
Banned

Question How to connect through Telnet

Hi friends. Here I have a very interesting query for you i.e. how to get connected via telnet. I also wanna know the working of telnet with file sharing techniques. I knew that networking admins use it to connect PC so i wanna go for it as I am always curious for learning. I am waiting for the help eagerly.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

Telnet is usually used for command based machines like Linux, Unix etc. For windows, usually RDE (Remote Desktop Sharing) is used. You can use your windows command prompt to telnet other machines however. Use telnet /? on CMD of windows and it will show you all the options with which you can use telnet.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:42 AM
v7n Mentor

This no longer works on Windows7 (Telnet not supported I guess) but in XP or earlier simply open a command prompt and type something like this:

“telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl” (without quotes)

This particular Telnet address will show you StarWars Ep. IV done entirely in ASCII animation.

Just replace the above Telnet address with whichever one you're trying to connect to.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani_938 View Post
Telnet is usually used for command based machines like Linux, Unix etc. For windows, usually RDE (Remote Desktop Sharing) is used. You can use your windows command prompt to telnet other machines however. Use telnet /? on CMD of windows and it will show you all the options with which you can use telnet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarLab View Post
This no longer works on Windows7 (Telnet not supported I guess) but in XP or earlier simply open a command prompt and type something like this:

“telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl” (without quotes)

This particular Telnet address will show you StarWars Ep. IV done entirely in ASCII animation.

Just replace the above Telnet address with whichever one you're trying to connect to.

I think my problem has been misunderstood here. I have asked about the way or process to connect the two PC (or more) via telnet. This tut doesn't show how to do that. Rather I request you to share any link to tutorial for telnet. Also wanna know about its working procedure.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

File transfers via telnet:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=49573

There are better methods though. Maybe if you told us what you were trying to do, we may be able to give a better solution.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:56 AM
Banned

Ok. I have 4 PC in my home. When I need to share some data then rather I need to use USB drive or the file sharing system of windows. So I searching some basic service of windows than I came to know about the telnet. Even messages can be sent via it. So I was asking for the working process of it in XP. Basic tuts doesn't helped me out.

And drmike your new avatar is quite impressive.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

If you have them networked, I'd just use the file sharing system of windows. It's already there and setup. You don;t have to worry about anything else.

Could have sworn that XP took telnet out. Running Vista here so I can;t check.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:59 AM

Networking is the best solution of this thing..If you want to share data with other PC than networking is the best solution of this all.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Banned

Here asking all about the connectivity via telnet. I don't think that commands will be differ in the vista as compare to XP. I am requesting again for the tuts on it. Still unable to find the desired answers. Plz mods and admin help me out.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Banned

You have to configure telnet server in all systems to login from all systems. You should use tool like kpym telnet/SSH server. In this tool even you can configure SSH and you can use any command line utility in your windows XP system.

This tool might satisfy your curiosity.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewebhostingdir View Post
You have to configure telnet server in all systems to login from all systems. You should use tool like kpym telnet/SSH server. In this tool even you can configure SSH and you can use any command line utility in your windows XP system.

This tool might satisfy your curiosity.
I'm always against installing and using another program when you should have the ability currently to do what you want.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:38 PM
Banned

We can not say that Telnet is better then other because compare to Telnet ,sharing data by using Network is better.By sharing data we find output without affecting to other system or user easily.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:39 AM
Banned

try to configure your network file sharing, then use teamviewer to remotely use other computer, telnet is a little bit difficult to use on retrieving file, because it doesn't have the GUI thing, and more prostrating than that is every thing you do have to be executed by code or command.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk