Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 05-20-2010, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

How long does your mouse last?

Am I cursed with bad luck with computer mice or do others experience a limited lifetime for their computer mouse?

I go through a 2-3 a year. I know they are going when it stops communicating with the PC and if I unplug the usb and replug it'll work again for a few hours. Eventually it will stop working altogether.

I prefer logitech, but have similar problems with all brands. Some last a little longer than others, but never more than 6 months. The mouse gets 8+ hours of use daily.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

That is bad luck.
I have to change mice only every few years or so and it's not a communications issue.
Usually, one of the buttons is worn out.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

I went through 2 last year. The one I have now is starting to have a problem holding down the left-click. I keep losing the blue bar when I'm trying to select. I have to press firmly on the button to get it to hold. Time for a new mouse.

My last mouse had some weird short somewhere that turned left-click into right-click (left-click would open context menus!) and the right-click button didn't do much at all.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:48 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

About every 2 years i need a new mouse. My buttons get worn out or just stop working as in get stuck. I use a wireless mouse and of course replace the batteries if it stops working. (sometimes that's the fix) lol

Old 05-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Artist & Motion Designer
Latest Blog:
None

I have two Logitech Trackballs. One has lasted well over 8 years and counting. My newest second one is about 4 years old I think. I haven't touched a regular mouse in over 10 years!

Old 05-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

I'm facing problem with keyboard. In a year, I do change a minimum of 2 keyboards (Logitech make). With regard to mouse, I use Microsoft. Its good.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Contributing Member

Most of my mouse have been with me over 5+ years and still working. However, most of the change I made, sometime before the second year, are because of my own need. Sometime I just found the mouse cannot work well with glass so I was going out and find some replacement. I bought it but the old one is still good. Not a good money usage discipline anyway.

Find your Best Rated Web Hosting. Company Today.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:43 PM
V7N Administrator

I need to buy stock in a mouse and keyboard company because I go through a few a year, and it's usually the expensive ones. I am admittedly very rough on them though.

Join V7N on Facebook today! facebook.com/V7Network

Old 05-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

How long does your mouse last?
That depends on how long I let the cat play with it.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
I need to buy stock in a mouse and keyboard company because I go through a few a year, and it's usually the expensive ones. I am admittedly very rough on them though.
I am with you there about buying stock! And I love how everytime I buy a new one it says lifetime warranty on the box, but I never bother to see what it takes to get a replacement.

As far as keyboard, it is victim of me being a clutz with coffee. The nice part is after your done using the blow dryer on it the room as a pleasant coffee aroma for a few days.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Artist & Motion Designer
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
That depends on how long I let the cat play with it.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:49 PM
v7n Mentor

This pic oughta sum it up.

Borrowed that shot from a blog... hopefully the attribution he put on there isn't indiucating he stole it and over-wrote the right one.
Attached Thumbnails
How long does your mouse last?-skeleton.jpg  

Old 05-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Artist & Motion Designer
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mporgsoft View Post
it says lifetime warranty on the box, but I never bother to see what it takes to get a replacement.
Save the box next time and when it craps out, pack it up, put in your return address and mail it. See what happens. Can't hurt and I'd bet within a few weeks, you get a new one. Wouldn't hurt to call them first though (;

Old 05-20-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mporgsoft View Post
Am I cursed with bad luck with computer mice or do others experience a limited lifetime for their computer mouse?

I go through a 2-3 a year. I know they are going when it stops communicating with the PC and if I unplug the usb and replug it'll work again for a few hours. Eventually it will stop working altogether.

I prefer logitech, but have similar problems with all brands. Some last a little longer than others, but never more than 6 months. The mouse gets 8+ hours of use daily.
Just out of curiosity, if you go through 2 or 3 Logitech mice a year, why in the world do you prefer them? Don't you think it's time to change brands?

Most of the time, my mouse comes from either HP or Compaq (before and after they were bought by HP), and usually with a full computer system. I've never had a mouse go out on me, although I have had to clean the ball mouses many times.

As far as Logitech goes, I believe I've tried two different wireless desktops from them, and both were absolutely atrocious. Unless you consider 3 feet to be almost the same as the advertised 6-10 feet.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:55 PM
v7n Mentor

Fwiw, one of my pups destroyed a laptop & a wireless keyboard recently, and I replaced the wireless keyboard and mouse with a Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5000 Keyboard & Mouse combo. I'm a heavy user, and this is easily the smoothest mouse I've ever owned and I love the keyboard too. More features than some of the more expensive stuff I looked at and so far not a glitch.

Hard to get me to speak kindly about something with the MS logo, and very seldom I effusively praise ANY hardware. In this case I offer a very high recommendation. If you need to replace one now this combo is strong.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member

Well I think your mice are fine. Since you use them 8 hrs. Anyway my last mouse lasted for 5 years but I didn't use it for 8 hours. I hate wireless mouse they consume so much of battery and heavy too.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:27 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

I had an interesting incident about my mouse. Around five years back, when I bought new CPU, I forgot to buy a new compatible mouse for it. When I got clue about this it was already 11 PM and almost all major shops were closed so I moved into a local shop which was about to close. When I asked him for a mouse than initially he refused for it cause he wanna go home quickly but when I requested than he gave me a local mouse. Initially I thought that once it got wrecked of than i'll buy a new wireless MS mouse but my luck that mouse is still working pretty good and I am waiting for a chance to buy a new mouse

Old 05-21-2010, 03:10 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I have a cheap one I bought it 2 years ago and I'm still using it. Its a Nortek Egos laser (wired). I guess yours is only badluck.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Banned

Good mouse should last for 3 years or more, even when it's mouse for game players, offcourse it cost

Old 05-22-2010, 09:44 AM

Hmm, that sounds bad. I only faced this problem once, but that time, the mouse lasted for more than 5 - 6 years. And 8+ hours usage a day, doesnt makes a difference. I use Microsoft mouse at present. Its good, try using this one.

Thanks.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk