Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 08-02-2010, 03:15 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Solution for Excel Number Stored as Text

Hey all,

Sorry I don't post as much as I should over hear. Just wanted to post this here for anyone that may have run into the issue with Numbers Stored as Text in Excel.

My original blog post is here: Number Stored as Text Solution

Excel's 'Number Stored as Text' issue is tough to deal with, especially if you are having 3rd-parties fill out Excel templates for you. A lot of times when people copy and paste numbers into Excel, they are stored as 'Text' not 'Number's. This is an issue for any aggregation, summation, etc. functions that you may want to run on the data set. There are ways to fix them by hand, teach users to Paste Special -> Values, as well as correct the issue with VBA/Macros.

However, the solution I found after exhausting my googling abilities is much easier then all of those. All it takes is a little learning about Array Formulas, also know as Ctrl-Shift-Enter (CSE) Formulas. These array formulas allow a single function, such as VALUE() to take place on a large range. For example, doing =SUM(VALUE(A1:A100)) then pressing Ctrl-Shift-Enter (instead of just enter) will calculate the value of the cells, regardless if a Number is stored as a text or a number.

More information and screenshots can be seen on my blog post, but I wanted to share this useful tip with V7N

Old 08-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

i always thought you could just paste and then format the cells as integers...that's what I have always done at least. Did that not work for you?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk