Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.

Share |
Old 02-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Contributing Member

Archiving emails

I'm using 90MB out of 250mb of email space on my shared web hosting account.

I'm pretty sure 99.9% of these emails i dont need, but may nee dto refer back to these for account/auditing purposes in future.

So I can't delete them.

I think it would be highly beneficial for my computer speed and security of this data, to be backed up and deleted from the mailbox.

I was wondering what backup options are out there for me to use, which will still make the email valid for auditing purposes, and easy to loo up email data as well.

I'm thinking of some archived compressed format that I can read with an email viewer if I need to refer back to it.

Thanks for reading and eagerly awaying suggestions.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011, 11:47 PM
Administrator

You are only using WebMail?

Some don't know that you can set up your email program on your computer to pickup your mail from your web hosting mailbox(es).

Set up your email account(s) in the email program. (instructions are for Outlook Express but they are sim for whatever email program you choose to use).

If you travel, you can pick up your mail with your laptop and leave a copy on the web server for when you return to the office.

So after you are receiving emails on your computer, you can backup your emails a couple of ways:
  1. With the email selected, you can File, Save As, and put in a folder (mine are person/job specific).
  2. Find where the emails are stored on your computer by the email program and have your backup program back that up also.

I do both because I find it easier to find old emails by person/job plus depending on how your email program stores the emails, it could be difficult to open the archive without reloading into the email program.

You should be backing up your files anyways, so adding email to the routine shouldn't be hard.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk