Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.

Share |
Old 03-14-2011, 01:35 AM
Contributing Member

why my cd-rom cant work well?

I have to admit that i am really not good at hardware. In fact, I dont use my cd-rom fruquently, just two weeks ago, i wanted to watch movie from optical disc. It is very long time before i used cd-rom last time, so it took me half of hour to open it, and I do every thing before it word, such as kick the host, pry with toothpick which is instead by spoon when it is fractured......The second time i use cd-rom, i have to do such crazy think like the first time..........can anybody tell me what i should do to make cd-rom can work well?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-14-2011, 02:53 AM
Contributing Member

since it is a mechanical component it should be kept clean even if you are not using it .
you can send it for a service or you can open the try just by inserting a needle in the small hole just below the tray .

Old 03-14-2011, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Don't use the CD-Rom as a cup holder.

I don't really use my cd-rom at all on the laptop but it still works. Never use a spoon to try to pry open the CD-rom. Like mentioned earlier use a toothpick or paperclip to stick it in the little hold on the outside of the CD-rom to pop it open. This method is a like a fail safe method if you can not get it to open and need the CD.

I have to use this method at work a lot because i work on refurbished computer's. People need to not fiddle with there CD-rom all the time. Every few days just open and close it. If you break it and need to install a new OS or a software you will be out of luck because you broke the CD-rom with a spoon.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:11 AM
The Controversial Coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Don't use the CD-Rom as a cup holder.
I use Floppy Disks as mine nowadays, it's like a technological salute to them.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Blue Rose Mentor

If it sticks when you try open it, it could be a mechanical failure. A way to rule this out would be to check if your Computer still recognizes the player. You can also check if there are an problems in your device manager. It should show a little triangle or red cross if there are problems. (Assuming you use windows XP).

If it is mechanical, look at the condition of the player when you open it. Open it gently though, or you could damage it further. Using the method snakeair mentioned will do the trick. Look at the inside of the player, if there is too much dust, it could be clogging the mechanics (the gears that open and close the door), and you would have to have it cleaned out before putting it back in your PC.

I have two drives, and believe me, its impossible to use on as a cupholder, the other door keeps knocking my coffee out of its place

Old 03-14-2011, 11:20 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks all reply.
It is a bad news that my cd-crom cant work any more, maybe I have do big harm to it, said like snakeair may because of spoon. I have make somebody repair it. I promise I will never be rude to it from now on......

Old 03-15-2011, 01:22 AM
Blue Rose Mentor

Any PC component needs to be maintained regularly, whether you use a component or not. With my desktop, I clean the entire case from to to bottom almost once a month. The dust and residue that builds up from her fans slows her performance and overheats her.

If you're worried about breaking the PC, take it to someone that knows what they're doing, like a PC tech or similar. They will be able to clean the components and case and make sure your PC remains in tact and working properly. We have many tools we use to clean computer components, right down to anti static cloths we use to wipe down dust. Also make sure the PC is powered down before you try clean it. Sticking your hand in the case is never a good idea. You could either damage the computer with Electrostatic discharge (ESD) or hurt yourself touching something you're not supposed to when its switched on.

Areas on a PC that pick up the most dust are the fans and heat sinks that are above the graphics card and CPU chip, any fans used to cool the inside of the PC case, and the power pack. I would not recommend you cleaning that on your own

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.

Last edited by Dreamrage; 03-15-2011 at 01:23 AM. Reason: losh

Old 03-15-2011, 02:10 AM
v7n Mentor

Could be two reasons. The cables connected to your cd-rom could be damaged or not attached properly. Strangely it could be either power cables or data cables and cd-rom will malfunction.
The other reason could be mechanical. Sometimes the tray of the cd-rom slips on it's tracks and that can cause it to either stay open or closed. It happened to me a couple of times. What I did is pry it open all the way and then slammed it shut. Not too hard though you don't want to break it completely. This will jam it back into it's proper track. After that it will open normally.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:55 AM
Contributing Member

As for me, I think that any tech stuff must work constantly without problems. But when there is a break for some period of time, could be problems with its work. So use it constantly, or just do not use at all.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamrage View Post
Any PC component needs to be maintained regularly, whether you use a component or not. With my desktop, I clean the entire case from to to bottom almost once a month. The dust and residue that builds up from her fans slows her performance and overheats her.

If you're worried about breaking the PC, take it to someone that knows what they're doing, like a PC tech or similar. They will be able to clean the components and case and make sure your PC remains in tact and working properly. We have many tools we use to clean computer components, right down to anti static cloths we use to wipe down dust. Also make sure the PC is powered down before you try clean it. Sticking your hand in the case is never a good idea. You could either damage the computer with Electrostatic discharge (ESD) or hurt yourself touching something you're not supposed to when its switched on.

Areas on a PC that pick up the most dust are the fans and heat sinks that are above the graphics card and CPU chip, any fans used to cool the inside of the PC case, and the power pack. I would not recommend you cleaning that on your own

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.
Very helpful advice, now I have the new cd-rom now........By the way, I never use it at cup-holder.....

Old 03-17-2011, 12:46 AM
Contributing Member

You've done a lot more crazy things with your cd rom, i guess you might take a new one. haha

Old 03-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Blue Rose Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulaishiwo View Post
Very helpful advice, now I have the new cd-rom now........By the way, I never use it at cup-holder.....
You're welcome. I am glad you were able to get the problem sorted. none of us actually used our cd trays as cup holders. It just a long standing joke about cd trays, and there was even a joke executable file spread around between myself and my friends that said click here for an instant cup holder, and when you clicked, it opened a cd tray.

Anyhow, if you do have any other problems, don't hesitate to ask. I'm here to help.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:30 AM
Banned

it may be due to lence problem if it is so then cd rom must be replaced b'coz it can not be repaired anyways you can see by cleaning the lence may be it starts working

Old 09-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

Clean you cd-rom with tissue paper and try again .

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk