Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-05-2012, 10:13 AM
V7N Administrator

Thumbs down Do Use A Tablet?

I am curious about the increased use of tablets. Do you use one? What benefits have you found?

Why not just use a laptop?

Join V7N on Facebook today! facebook.com/V7Network

Old 03-05-2012, 12:20 PM

I both have an Acer laptop and an iPad. The iPad is fine for smaller tasks, but I use my laptop for larger tasks, even though its old and clunky. It's just more convenient. The iPad's screen is so small, and you can't have more than one app open at once, which is a major setback for me.

My next laptop buy will probably be an air - small and light like the ipad, but with great multitasking capabilities.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:10 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Yes I have a nice Asus tablet and look forward to getting the latest version which is faster with more memory. The tablet is fine for short trips but for serious work I prefer to spread things out over a couple of 20 in monitors.

The new tablets are blurring the lines between tablets and laptops. Asus for instance has a docking station that adds a full sized keyboard, more memory and battery time, plus you can plug in things like thumb drives or external hard drives, - the choice is getting harder.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:32 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

My father got a Galaxy Tab 10.1 for his birthday. Although he is 60 he knows his way around PC, so thankfully I don't need to explain anything (my brother on the other hand..... ).

Thing is: We have no idea what to do with it. I don't need it because I have 2 laptops (1 for work, 1 private) a PC and a Galaxy S2. He doesn't need it because when he is on the net, he sits in his home office.

He could use it in the living room, on the couch, but the our wireless range doesn't reach that far, and he doesn't want to use to much of his prepaid Internet (which is pretty expensive... 1GB is about 10€). We ordered a Asus RT-N56U wlan router that hopefully boosts the range....
Also thought about installing this thing into his car, so that he can write down his customers (he is a vet). Would be pretty cool if he decides to use it that way. Could (finally ) make a website for him with a mailform. But as it's now, it just lays around.. Poor expensive thing

Old 03-06-2012, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

For myself, I love a tablet for a quick fix / internet browsing / entertainment device. If I have to do anything that requires a lot of typing or manipulation of content... laptop all the way.

In the end, I would always have a laptop. Personally I have a workstation laptop that I do all my development on. This allows me to travel and keep on working.

Even with the IPad 3 coming out, my stance wouldn't change.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:55 PM
The Controversial Coder
Latest Blog:
None

That is my only issue with the tablet, the ingrained use of the keyboard makes me exceedingly slow on a tablet, sure I can get one that connects to my tablet but then that defeats the point of my tablet.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I have recently bought a Android based tab which was manufactured by Acer. I bought is just because to be able to work on the go (no worries on carrying it because it is light weight than the laptop). However, i won't say that i can do all the works like how i do in laptop or a PC, but at least i can complete some basic tasks/works on the go (usually i will be outing on weekends to it is useful for me)

And, if mod's or admin's don't mind, I would like to share my picture which i have taken with the New tab. May i? OK, i am sharing it. And here it is:

Old 03-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Last month i bought a tablet form myself , it is very easy to use and i really enjoying working on this.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:38 AM

There are lots of reports that iPad 3 is waited or new Android tablet is released, but the realityis that most of people use them only for browsing and playing and music listening. They don't work on them. So, is it worth buying a toy instead of buying a laptop, for example?

Old 03-07-2012, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Williamson View Post
That is my only issue with the tablet, the ingrained use of the keyboard makes me exceedingly slow on a tablet, sure I can get one that connects to my tablet but then that defeats the point of my tablet.
Forgot to mention I also have the zaggmate keyboard case for my iPad 2. It's a excellent keyboard, feels like a laptop. The problem is the inability to get an overview of your apps without constantly switching from one to another.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:22 AM
Contributing Member

You should not compare a laptop to a tablet, they're different 'beasts'. I have 2 laptops (a big one for my web design work - we travel a lot so i need its mobility) and a small one for conferences. I also have a Nook Color (which is some sort of a tablet), to carry with me in trains or when I know I'll have to wait for hours. I can read books on it, that's what I use it for

Old 03-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Latest Blog:
None

I'm a network administrator at a school and I have both an iPad2 and a laptop.

I only find use for the "reminder" feature in the iPad, and also the wifi finder that I can download of of appstore. Sometimes I have to catch those students trying to cheat with mobile hotspot when doing a test so I use the wifi finder on the iPad, just more convinient to walk around with that rather than the laptop.

Rest of the work I find hard to do on the iPad tho I know there is apps to control and manage a whole network which Im yet to try.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojo View Post
You should not compare a laptop to a tablet, they're different 'beasts'. I have 2 laptops (a big one for my web design work - we travel a lot so i need its mobility) and a small one for conferences. I also have a Nook Color (which is some sort of a tablet), to carry with me in trains or when I know I'll have to wait for hours. I can read books on it, that's what I use it for
Agreed, they are very different, this is just all a mess with the post-pc era and all.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:03 PM
v7n Mentor

An iPad with a protective Otter Box fits nicely into a saddlebag. I use my laptop for work, and I'd be hesitant to put it at risk like that too often. IPad is a handy tool to have along just as a quick reference even just on quick trips in the car. Carrying the laptop around makes you look obsessive... nobody notices an iPad.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:15 PM

All the time... My Asus Transformer Prime also suits as a laptop. It comes with a keyboard dock that almost makes me ditch my Alienware M11X R3, but no, not yet. If the tablet business keeps growing (we already have quad-core tablets).....

Old 03-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Count me in I used it for quick browsing and email check and playing games also. It's quite handy compared to laptops which is much heavier.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Tablets has several advantages over a laptop. First, it is portable. You can bring it almost anywhere unlike with bulky laptops. It is simple enough to use. Just point and point your finger on its screen and you'll be able to get what you need to get done.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Hmm I guess in the future I'm going to buy me a Tablet my primary use for it will be connectivity from the internet where ever I go. Right now I use a Smart Phone called Samsung Galaxy Ace an android base it's small compare to the counterpart of the tablet it self every apps on the android market for smart phone is also available for it's tablet counter part.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:51 AM
Latest Blog:
None

I am wating for Akash tablet which is the cheapest tablet in market for now! costs around $35 only. http://www.akashtablet.com/

Old 03-12-2012, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karvy1 View Post
I am wating for Akash tablet which is the cheapest tablet in market for now! costs around $35 only.
Errr, it is the first time I hear about such tablets....

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk