Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.

Share |
Old 12-01-2012, 02:53 AM
The Controversial Coder

Microsoft Security Essentials Fails Security Test

Quote:
The tests, which were carried out over September and October, challenged home user security products against real-world scenarios, giving each a score of between zero and six in three separate categories: protection, repair and usability.

Out of 18 available points, Microsoft Security Essentials scored 10.5, falling short of the 11 needed for certification to be awarded.
Read More Here.

Interestingly MSE has failed a security test which has resulted in them losing the certification from this German company which isn't the most respected company in the security industry. However, it is interesting that this comes so quickly after Windows 8 releases with Anti-Virus as standard so that the other security companies could potentially lose a lot of clients.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Not much of a surprise. How many how often do they seem to need to update Windows? I'm even betting that 8 isn't as secure as they claim.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:35 AM
The Controversial Coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
Not much of a surprise. How many how often do they seem to need to update Windows? I'm even betting that 8 isn't as secure as they claim.
Interestingly I was watching a *nix security video on Youtube yesterday evening and I saw a related video about a Microsoft zero-day exploit since 2010 that still hasn't been fixed, which can screw up your system via network traffics to make it look like thousands of IPs are being connected to your router (semi-DoSish behaviour) and all it is is one line of code called /flood in linux.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Contributing Member

this is kinda messy...
I have MSE as my main protection, now I feel insecure.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydeee View Post
this is kinda messy...
I have MSE as my main protection, now I feel insecure.
I seriously doubt that anyone is 100% secure. But then again Microsoft security or AV would be the last on my to buy or use list.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
I seriously doubt that anyone is 100% secure. But then again Microsoft security or AV would be the last on my to buy or use list.
I was using MSE in Windows 7 for a long time, it served me very well. I now use Windows Defender (enhanced version of MSE) in Windows 8 and it's serving me very well.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

We have had many encounters noticing that Microsoft Security Essential didn't recognize the virus. However, Microsoft has another software named "Microsoft Safety Scanner" and the file is msert.exe which it should be downloaded from their site every 10 days. This happens to finds viruses that Microsoft Security Essential can't find.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:58 PM
The Controversial Coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dWhite View Post
I was using MSE in Windows 7 for a long time, it served me very well. I now use Windows Defender (enhanced version of MSE) in Windows 8 and it's serving me very well.
It's interesting that you say this - I did a search on a well-respected database and found an alarming amount of malware and other sorts of naughty programs/worms etc that aren't detected by most of the mainstream anti-virus programs, so how do you actually know that it is serving you well - what if you have 100 of the malware instances that it cannot detect.

Here is an example.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Williamson View Post
I know simply because I don't go acting a fool online. Knowledge is power and is also the most effective form of defense online.

With these so-called testing companies saying MSE fails , it's hard to listen to them when MSE is the #2 most used worldwide.

Also, MSE is certified by Virus Bulletin here (with only 1 miss back when it was practically still new):
http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archive/vendor?id=70

Old 12-11-2012, 08:29 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
I know simply because I don't go acting a fool online. Knowledge is power and is also the most effective form of defense online.

With these so-called testing companies saying MSE fails , it's hard to listen to them when MSE is the #2 most used worldwide.

Also, MSE is certified by Virus Bulletin here (with only 1 miss back when it was practically still new):
I can tell you from personal experience in the hundreds of computers over the last couple of years that we have dealt with that MSE is not that good of a system to depend on. Surfing habits do have a lot to do with effectiveness just as does updating system and third party files of course. As I have said many times, personal practices is a great impact on safety. If you look at all of the non-biased/non-money oriented reports MSE while not rated as the worst is never rated over mediocre at best.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:15 AM
The Controversial Coder

Quote:
It's very easy to not be a fool online and still get malware unfortunately - I have seen no less than three major advertisements on highly ranked and secure websites get hijacked to include malicious malware.

Quote:
This is hardly a good reason to consider it good, usage doesn't equate to security - and just for points sake I have stuck up for MSE since it was released until this time.

Quote:
I haven't heard of that site, virtustotal is used by a lot of security guys who actually care about the algorithms of anti-malware stuff, admittedly that site you linked to could be good, however for me the detection rate of MSE just doesn't cut it with the ever-evolving malware out there.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

I really don't have problems with Microsoft Security Essentials, but after i installed it every day i have new windows security updates. That really annoys me.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kova View Post
I really don't have problems with Microsoft Security Essentials, but after i installed it every day i have new windows security updates. That really annoys me.
Updates are a good thing. If they are happening every day, either there is some sort of issues MS are dealing with in terms of nasty people putting out a bunch of new nasty virus or malware type things on the Internet, or, your app is having trouble with the actual updates. My thinking is the last point though.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kova View Post
MSE uses Windows Update to obtain new definitions, unless you manually update MSE yourself.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

Determination of MSE being a viable piece of software Effectiveness + Resource usage + Cost = Seems like a good choice. I have personally also seen plenty of viruses pass through MSE ( some real nasty ones too) I have also seen nasty viruses pass through the top rated anti-virus softwares. I am going to rate the overall best anti-virus software availible on the market ever.......End-user training and awareness!

Old 01-10-2013, 11:48 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by computermedic View Post
Determination of MSE being a viable piece of software Effectiveness + Resource usage + Cost = Seems like a good choice. I have personally also seen plenty of viruses pass through MSE ( some real nasty ones too) I have also seen nasty viruses pass through the top rated anti-virus softwares. I am going to rate the overall best anti-virus software availible on the market ever.......End-user training and awareness!
I agree with you, there is no antivirus system in existence that protects 100% from everything, especially with careless user habits. I would submit that rather than running to the store and buying the latest greatest that a comprehensive approach may be the way to go. Managed antivirus protection is one option, this is a protection system offered by many different companies that use antivirus versions like Kaspersky one of the top rated systems, my system uses the Vipre Business structure and engine. The managed aspect is that there is a qualified professional that is notified of found intrusions and breaches and can offer assistance or in some packages drastically discounted or even included professional cleanings. While that doesn't guarantee the lack of getting a virus it does ensure that it will always be taken care of if/when it happens.

The low footprint of a virus program in my perspective is imperative. When you have programs that protect you from viruses but interfere with the system operation to a noticeable level what is the difference between a virus and the virus protection program?

Old 01-12-2013, 10:00 AM

Microsoft's software can't protect you completely if you wonder off on every malicious website. The best way to protect yourself from such threats is to know what you are doing. Unfortunately, many users don't..

Old 01-12-2013, 01:32 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hegyezgetg9 View Post
Microsoft's software can't protect you completely if you wonder off on every malicious website. The best way to protect yourself from such threats is to know what you are doing. Unfortunately, many users don't..
Well I do definitely agree that safe surfing habits do make a huge difference. I also agree that there is actually no antivirus program that will protect you from everything.

But the bottom line is that there is software that does a decent job, software that does a great job, and then there is software that does an okay or less job.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:02 PM

Its really a bad news for me as i have only MSE installed in my lappy

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk