Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 07-19-2013, 03:29 PM
v7n Mentor

What Should I Do If My Computer...

There are a lot of knowledgeable people here. I think it would be good to start a what should I do if thread for computers. There are always a lot of things that go on with a computer from Flash hanging causing us to have to wait 5 seconds between letters being printed out that we type which could be fixed with a simple restart of the computer, though it could also be a memory (hardware issue) or a plethora of other things...what the point of the thread is that rather than running down to the local computer store, or worse yet Best Buy and spending between $45 to $79 just to find out it was an easy fix, asking the question here may provide a fix for free and a lot faster.

Lets give it a shot and lets see how it goes. Please keep in mind the following when posting a question...
What Operating System Do You Have?

How Much Ram Do You Have?

How Much Free Space Is Left On Your Hard Drive?

When Did The Problem Start?

Is Your Computer A Desktop or Laptop?

How Old Is Your Computer?

What Have You Done So Far To Fix The Problem?
How to find out certain information

(You can find this out easily on Windows based machines by clicking the start button and putting your mouse over the "Computer" choice and then right click. A context menu will appear. Move your mouse over "Properties" in this context menu and left click. This will pop up a screen telling you your operating system version the service pack installed, whether it is 32 or 64 bit and how much memory is installed or being registered by the computer)

(You can find out what size hard drive you have, how much space is used and how much remaining space there is by clicking on the start button locating "computer" and clicking on it. This will list your available drives. Usually the C: drive is the drive your operating system is on (Windows). By putting your mouse pointer over the drive you are wanting information on and right clicking your mouse a context menu will appear. Put your mouse pointer over properties located at the bottom of this list and left click the mouse.)

If you need help on getting the information needed so we can help you best simply refer to the list above and provide the information that you are able to provide and those attempting to help you will provide you with the information they need to better assist you and help you in getting that information.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 04:40 AM
Contributing Member

This is a great thread. I think people should have a rough idea of what their problem is before seeking repair. At times with my systems I've reached a point where I knew the fault and taken it into repair and they've tried to tell me there were more problems than the one I knew, just for them to make more money.

I always think seeking help online is a good place to start and you are right this place definitely holds some knowledgeable people!

Old 09-13-2013, 03:42 AM

After reading this thread I found that its very informative because I have never done all these activities by myself when I got any trouble with my PC. I always asked my friend about the issues but I didn't try by myself. Now I think I need to learn these things by myself.

Great post Techwizard

Old 09-14-2013, 09:35 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakrawat2789 View Post
After reading this thread I found that its very informative because I have never done all these activities by myself when I got any trouble with my PC. I always asked my friend about the issues but I didn't try by myself. Now I think I need to learn these things by myself.

Great post Techwizard
Thanks...to be honest diagnosing an issue is the most difficult part of the process and where most people have the largest problem. All issues are either hardware or software issues, the trick is knowing which one it is so you don't waste a lot of time or money treating the wrong problem, that is what I am hoping this thread can help people with. Between all of us we can for sure get it right, or at least very close to right

Old 09-22-2013, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

I bought my laptop around 3 years ago $200 something and today the screen is technically dead. The weird thing is if I connected PC monitor hub with my laptop I can get my laptop screen back. I don't know how to tell this in English but I think it is a time for me to buy a new laptop

Old 09-22-2013, 08:03 PM
Rest In Peace 1946 2013

Without knowing anything about your hardware, it's very hard to do more than speculate.

Try looking through the search results at laptop display works only if external monitor, which includes items re. others who have had same or similar problems.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:17 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectMoney View Post
I bought my laptop around 3 years ago $200 something and today the screen is technically dead. The weird thing is if I connected PC monitor hub with my laptop I can get my laptop screen back. I don't know how to tell this in English but I think it is a time for me to buy a new laptop
Respectfully, did you actually read the opening post in this thread?

Old 09-22-2013, 08:59 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectMoney View Post
Though it is really bad practice I could offer a couple of typical things that could cause this.

1. As you said, it is possible that the screen is actually dead. In such a case replacing the screen is the only fix. This can cost anywhere from $89 to $189us depending on the model of your laptop.

2. While this is rare, it has happened before but usually only on older computers. It is possible that your laptop has been told to use the External port and not the internal LCD. There is usually a function +F key that turns the external monitor on and off. Though as I said this extremely rare and usually on much older laptops

3. Most laptops have a cable/wires that plug into the motherboard. Sometimes after a few years especially on computer that run hot it is possible that the wire solder has become worn and become loose causing a bad connection. You particular situation does not sound as though it falls in this area.

4. When not plugged into the external monitor, do you get a splash screen, or any type of graphics/text on the internal LCD screen prior to Windows loading, or is it consistently black? If you see a flash screen or some type of display then it is possible you have a Windows driver or resolution setting error. Attempt to boot your computer into Safe Mode and if you have a consistent picture attempt to uninstall the video drivers and reboot, let windows reinstall your drivers. You can also check the resolution settings while the external monitor is connected and try setting them to 1366x768 or below.

5. If you take a flashlight/bright light and hold it up to the LCD screen while it is on and it is not showing a screen can you faintly see a picture in the area the light is shining? If this is the case then it is possible the inverter board has burnt out, hinge wire has broken or worn, backlight needs replaced.

As you see there are a number of possibilities and depending on the surrounding conditions diagnosing the problem is extremely difficult, what was the laptop doing prior to the screen not working? Were any driver updates installed, anyone beside yourself get on the laptop that may have adjusted settings without your knowledge. Install any new software like DirectX or other graphic type software. Did you have any power surges, accidentally drop your laptop or slam the screen shut?

Having information about whether there were any type of strange happenings or behavior before it just not working would be extremely helpful.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:02 AM

How do you know if your pc has the fbi moneyback virus?

Last edited by J. H. Rasmussen; 03-22-2014 at 06:09 AM. Reason: I moved this reply from the "What Would You Do If Your PC... "-thread to this thread, as you will get better help here.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:28 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by manal18 View Post
How do you know if your pc has the fbi moneyback virus?
Hi Manal, it's usually pretty obvious if you have the FBI virus. When you turn your computer on you will not be able to do anything with it, instead you are sitting there staring at an FBI warning covering your screen stating that the FBI has locked your computer. Asking you to pay $300 to the FBI via greendot or moneypack.

Are you experiencing this? If not then what is it that your computer is doing we'll see if we can get an idea of what may be going on.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

this is a great idea!! Despite all the info available online, it's often hard to find good, straight forward answers!

Old 10-22-2014, 11:23 PM
Contributing Member

I have an interesting PC question. My onboard sound and onboard network has gone completely dead. I have an asus mother board with i3 2120 cpu. My computer starts and boots up into windows but no sound and network. I have the original driver disc but when I install the drivers still no sound and network. I even reinstalled windows a couple of time and also checked the bios to see if the audio or network wasnt disabled.

Could it be the south brige chip?

Old 10-23-2014, 06:20 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalds86 View Post
I have an interesting PC question. My onboard sound and onboard network has gone completely dead. I have an asus mother board with i3 2120 cpu. My computer starts and boots up into windows but no sound and network. I have the original driver disc but when I install the drivers still no sound and network. I even reinstalled windows a couple of time and also checked the bios to see if the audio or network wasnt disabled.

Could it be the south brige chip?
What version of Windows is this?

As to the sound not working first. Have you went into the control panel area sound area and made sure the correct driver/device is selected as default? Made sure that there is not an exclamation/problem with the drivers in device manager? Tried using headphone port?

Network problem, have you ran the Windows Trouble Shooter?

When you reinstalled Windows if 7 or previous actually deleted the Partition and created a new one for the C: drive prior to reinstalling or just let Windows do the format, and then did you do the quick or long format install?

Old 10-23-2014, 08:46 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWizard View Post
What version of Windows is this?

As to the sound not working first. Have you went into the control panel area sound area and made sure the correct driver/device is selected as default? Made sure that there is not an exclamation/problem with the drivers in device manager? Tried using headphone port?

Network problem, have you ran the Windows Trouble Shooter?

When you reinstalled Windows if 7 or previous actually deleted the Partition and created a new one for the C: drive prior to reinstalling or just let Windows do the format, and then did you do the quick or long format install?
Yes I did go into device manager and it simply does not pick up my onboard sound. It only picks up the spdif

I have tried windows 7, windows 8, Windows 8.1 and even ubuntu linux which normaly picked up all my drivers and still no sound

It picks up the network driver in device manager and in network adaptors but when you plug in a cable there is no green light.

I have a feeling that the network and sound is controlled by the south bridge chip and that that chip might be failing

Old 10-23-2014, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Yes I did go into device manager and it simply does not pick up my onboard sound. It only picks up the spdif

I have tried windows 7, windows 8, Windows 8.1 and even ubuntu linux which normaly picked up all my drivers and still no sound

It picks up the network driver in device manager and in network adaptors but when you plug in a cable there is no green light.

I have a feeling that the network and sound is controlled by the south bridge chip and that that chip might be failing
When I installed windows 7 I formatted the hard drive the long way (low level format) and directly after that installed the drive on the fresh installation of windows and still no sound. When I got the PC the sound and network worked perfectly. Could it be that the power supply is not providing enough juice for everything to function correctly?

Old 10-23-2014, 02:16 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
When I installed windows 7 I formatted the hard drive the long way (low level format) and directly after that installed the drive on the fresh installation of windows and still no sound. When I got the PC the sound and network worked perfectly. Could it be that the power supply is not providing enough juice for everything to function correctly?
Well a faulty power supply can do a lot of weird things for sure though I would think you would have more problems out of the video and hard drive, issues like freezing, random reboots etc. There is of course a chance that is happening at this point it is like a doctor and taking best guess is where we are....

Do you have multiple video cards installed via SLI? An extra heavy duty power hungry video card? If you have a bad power supply or not enough power usually will get a high pitched noise screeching through the sound card but can't take out the not so common symptoms.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:37 PM
v7n Mentor

Just to add here, if this came to me and I was at the stage you were at what I would do at this point is to put a shop Power Supply in just to take that out of the equation, if you have SLI hooked up disable it, if there were any other special cards in PCI slots remove them and unplug any unneeded drives i.e. DVD-Rom, Blueray, second hard drive etc and give it a try. If I was still not getting a response and you said you even tried Ubuntu I would recommend to the client to replace the mother board and since I always change the CPU at the same time a motherboard has a problem I would be pricing it at a CPU and Motherboard rate.

If you have had any storms, power issues and are getting problems that are taken down to having to be a motherboard or processor then replacing both takes away from a near future failure of the CPU or the Still doesn't work with the single MB or CPU replacement. I know it costs more to get both but it is the better and more permanent fix.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:48 PM
Contributing Member

It is not a clients computer, it is my own personal computer. On the motherboard it has two 4 pin power connectors and one 24 pin. My power supply only has one 4 pin and one 24 pin connectors for the motherboard. That is why I think it might not get enough power. I will try connect only the minimum things necessary like ram, hdd, cpu and remove the hard drives, graphics card ect. I have a feeling though that I will have to replace the mother board.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:51 AM

I have one question about my laptop (Dell Vostro, Win 7), bought it about four years ago.
It's running fine until recently, sometimes when I click shut down and then go to bed, the next morning I wake up and see my laptop hasn't shut down yet.
What's wrong with it? I scan viruses everyday, and the memory is just half full (250GB/500GB).

Old 10-24-2014, 03:57 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
It is not a clients computer, it is my own personal computer. On the motherboard it has two 4 pin power connectors and one 24 pin. My power supply only has one 4 pin and one 24 pin connectors for the motherboard. That is why I think it might not get enough power. I will try connect only the minimum things necessary like ram, hdd, cpu and remove the hard drives, graphics card ect. I have a feeling though that I will have to replace the mother board.
That bit of information changes everything What is the exact motherboard model?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Closed Thread