Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 12-15-2013, 08:17 AM
v7n Mentor

How do you protect your pictures and files?

It is a fact of life today. Be it a sad fact or just a fact

Most of our lives circle around our computers and other electronic devices. Most of us have years worth of pictures that have been taken with our phones or digital cameras sitting usually on our hard drives on the computer. Others have website files or other important files sitting on their hard drives.

What methods do you use to make sure you don't lose them? Personally I have websites I developed years ago still on my hard drive, the wife has the years worth of kids, grandkids, pets etc pictures on our hard drives. Some of those pets sadly are no longer with us, the grandkids and kids are growing up fast than they should and we would be devistated if we lost those memories as there definitely is no way to duplicate them.

We have three different backup methods that we use...they are backed up on the computers of course, we also have external hard drives that we backup to and then use an online backup service. I figure with all three of these it is going to take a major end of the world type happening for us to lose those pictures and files.

What methods do you use and why do they make you feel safe?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

I have backups on both USB flash drives and DVD discs as well as stored across multiple email services as an email to myself (Gmail and Outlook.com).

Old 12-15-2013, 11:08 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dWhite View Post
I have backups on both USB flash drives and DVD discs as well as stored across multiple email services as an email to myself (Gmail and Outlook.com).
I use that a lot, Skydrive is also a favorite...the big problem is that if that local media gets damaged or if there is a large amount if kinda falls short...wife and kids have several gigs of pictures for one example...I get external hard drives and USB drives in all of the time from people begging me to try and save the information that's on them...it's hit and miss as to whether I can save it or not unfortunately...that's why I have so many different ways of backing up...backup of backup kind of guy now

Old 12-15-2013, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

I use a NAS drive, a USB HD stored separately and DVD back-ups. If you are trying to save the RAW files it adds up sorta quickly.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

I use a hard drive, and remote backup services. However, I think I will add a DVD backup for my files.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:31 AM
v7n Mentor

I lost my wedding pictures 13 years ago. I still hear about it to this day...Online backup and local storage backup to make sure that never happens again for me...I've had a lot of CD's where out or get scratched over the years so tend to shy away from that one...

Just had a local business that was relying 100% on online backup that got hit with the Crypto Lock virus...that was a bad scene, they do it differently now, have external media backup too.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:06 AM
Contributing Member

My backup is in my drives, Flash drives in laptop, pc stored same backup in pc and laptop moreover dropBox rocks

Old 12-16-2013, 12:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWizard View Post
It is a fact of life today. Be it a sad fact or just a fact

Most of our lives circle around our computers and other electronic devices. Most of us have years worth of pictures that have been taken with our phones or digital cameras sitting usually on our hard drives on the computer. Others have website files or other important files sitting on their hard drives.

What methods do you use to make sure you don't lose them? Personally I have websites I developed years ago still on my hard drive, the wife has the years worth of kids, grandkids, pets etc pictures on our hard drives. Some of those pets sadly are no longer with us, the grandkids and kids are growing up fast than they should and we would be devistated if we lost those memories as there definitely is no way to duplicate them.

We have three different backup methods that we use...they are backed up on the computers of course, we also have external hard drives that we backup to and then use an online backup service. I figure with all three of these it is going to take a major end of the world type happening for us to lose those pictures and files.

BY BACKUP IT MANY LOCATIONS WE SAVE THAT DATA AND FILES & IMAGES

Quote:
I lost my wedding pictures 13 years ago. I still hear about it to this day...Online backup and local storage backup to make sure that never happens again for me...I've had a lot of CD's where out or get scratched over the years so tend to shy away from that one...

Just had a local business that was relying 100% on online backup that got hit with the Crypto Lock virus...that was a bad scene, they do it differently now, have external media backup too.
YOU CAN TRY TO BACKUP YOUR DATA FROM HARD DRIVES FOR GETTING YOUR PICTURES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seomaster5 View Post
My backup is in my drives, Flash drives in laptop, pc stored same backup in pc and laptop moreover dropBox rocks
BY THIS YOU CAN PROTECT YOUR DATA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
I use a NAS drive, a USB HD stored separately and DVD back-ups. If you are trying to save the RAW files it adds up sorta quickly.
OKK...IT CAN WORK OR NOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
YOU CAN USE SKYDRIVE FOR STORE YOUR DATA ON INTERNET

Quote:

TRY FOR BACKUP BY EXPERTS

Last edited by snakeair; 12-22-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:26 AM
Contributing Member

Alright.. If you want to backup your website images and content. You can ask your hosting provider for regular backup of your data. The easiest way..

You can also setup a google drive and backup your data easily which will be online.. Dropbox is also good for sharing and keeping backup of your files.

Pen drives cd write also good option, but what happen if some just stole your pen drive or cd.. i think using latest technologies of using google drive or drop box.. as they backup all user data..so you have minimum chances of your data going lost.....

Old 12-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

Google Drive backing up all of my files makes me feel safe. Having the private files encrypted with TrueCrypt makes me feel safer. Also doing regular full hard drive backups onto an external device makes me feel untouchable.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:34 PM

The more aware we become of the importance of our data the more we choose and take measures. Most people find it difficult to make backups because they have copy of everything, including the 10 diff pictures of the same thing from diff angles... at very high resolutions!!! it makes backups a headache.

For pictures, documents and software:
I have an ordered folder on my desktop computer, this has diff folders for everything, diff categories in DVD style folders. I burn each folder on DVD. I also make another copy to my external hard drive that remains on a safe place. I'm now working more and more on my laptop so I have like... a mirror (desktop - laptop). I also make constant copies to my big flash drive (current work). I don't usually trow away my DVD backups, I usually keep the latest backup and the one before this, DVDs and CDs can fail anytime even if they are new.

As for the websites... it became kind of a problem (too many gigabytes) so I worked hard to make my sites even smaller (they were already small). I just cleaned the servers to save space. I usually have 2 or 3 servers. All my websites work with my own CMS so, each day a new backup is made, every week one global backup and each week a master backup.

This backup is sent to another server and also to my skydrive.

that's it

Old 12-22-2013, 01:30 PM
v7n Mentor

There have been some great suggestions here. I would like to propose that there are three primary methods to back things up. We are talking our personal files such as pictures, videos, and our important documents.

The only real way to ensure that no matter what happens we don't lose our files it is necessary to employ all three methods...

We as human beings have a primary habit of not thinking about the worst that can happen to us on a regular basis. In fact if you do constantly think about catastrophic happenings then it is considered unhealthy

THe truth is that depending on where it is you live we are constantly at threat from fire, flood, hurricane, tornado or some other type of catastrophe that could wipe out everything locally, it unfortunately happens multiple times a year to others in fact. We have a tendency to think it is never going to happen to us but the reality is that it is always possible.

Storing pictures and files to our local hard drive, copying those files to DVD-Rom, and/or external hard drive and then back that up again using an online service is the only way to ensure that no matter what type of catastrophe that hits, or what may happen to us locally we have a copy of our files somewhere.

Most of the time the only reason that people don't use all three methods is cost, the average online backup service cost is $60 a year, the average external hard drive is $79+ but if we shop around and are frugal enough we can get it for even cheaper than that, well worth being absolutely sure that our irreplaceable pictures ( or even worse our wife's irreplaceable pictures ) and our important documents are safe no matter what.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:01 AM
Banned

but if we choose online backup tools then we share our personal data with global internet. it makes a risk for our data and private information . so what you tell me the safe Zone for
for that process.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:17 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vn24 View Post
but if we choose online backup tools then we share our personal data with global internet. it makes a risk for our data and private information . so what you tell me the safe Zone for
for that process.
How do you figure you are sharing your data with the internet by using an online backup service like Livedrive or Carbonite or one of their resellers??

The backup and restore process uses AES-256bit Military grade encryption during the file transfer I actually believe your files are likely more safe backed up with these companies than when they are sitting on your computer to be honest, especially if you are using free, cheap, or low quality antivirus protection.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:41 PM

You can do the RAID and off-site backup. They are the best way to preserve.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurotaTakumi View Post
You can do the RAID and off-site backup. They are the best way to preserve.
Got anything to add to:
Quote:
?

Old 01-20-2014, 10:14 PM
Banned

I've been using portable hard-disks. I think they are safe. As one of the hard disks is only for repository and other is a regular one to be used for daily work. But as the technology progressed we've USB portable hard-disks which I find better to use.

I had been using the portable hard-disks with adapter and once you lost/damaged the adapter it becomes tough to get the data back. Perhaps one of the disadvantage.

I've not used much it but I thinking to explore google drive now. Also, gmail users are given 15 GB of space online, that's other area I'm exploring now.

Thanks,

Old 01-22-2014, 07:46 AM
v7n Mentor

As a matter of full disclosure I sell online backup. I don't think this is biasing my recommendations but just to be on the safe side I wanted to disclose that

There has been Gmail data loss and there is always Google Drive data loss...

Now, whether the Google Drive data loss is caused by Google or it is a result of user error, in most cases it is something other than Google. According to CloudHQ there are a number of loss incidence that go undiagnosed so who knows...

Quote:
Unknown - The cause of data loss issues is unknown for 22% of all cases. This research mostly came from Google Forums when a user would make a post about their data loss problem and the situation was unable to be resolved or was never answered.
http://blog.cloudhq.net/post/3521553...rive-data-loss

I do believe that story is about a year old but still relevant to the point. I believe it was October of 2011 when a large number of users of Gmail lost all of their emails and contacts as well as calendar settings/information.

One incidence and I can't find the stories at the moment but can get them if you want was a data loss caused by users having their gmail logged into while they went to infected websites and a particular script/malware caused the data/email loss and it was permanent for those unfortunate users.

So how do I recommend making for sure you never lose data. You are doing a good thing with the external hard drives. First question, are they always connected to your computer? If they are then threats like the Cryptolocker virus will encrypt the files backed up to those connected external drives as well as your internal hard drive. Secondly, God forbid but bad things can happen to us where we live or work. There are fires, tornados, earthquakes and more that can affect us locally, not to mention power surges (again if your external hard drives remain connected they are at risk just like your computer). All types of things that can damage or destroy our local equipment regardless of surge protectors or battery backups.

As for free services, they really do have it set up that they are not liable for lost data or information. While they likely take the same precautions to make sure they don't you are talking about a free service so what real liability do they have? Using a program like MailStore which is free for home use at http://www.mailstore.com/en/mailstore-home.aspx allows for backup of the major free online mail services like Gmail etc...you can back the database up locally too so no matter what you have your old mail etc...

Now to online backup, companies like Carbonite, Mozy, and Livedrive charge and therefore are financially liable and go to great extent to ensure that your information is safe. They backup offsite and online, with their programs the backups are automatic. For an extra fee Carbonite will include external drives...Livedrive includes them up to 5Tb size...if you need more information about the differences between companies and services let me know....

Using a local system that is backed up by an online service then your information is safe pretty much no matter what happens. Using the mail backup program and having that database backed up with everything else then all of your mail is always safe as well. In the CryptoLocker example I know for a fact that if you are infected and thus all of your files are encrypted this is likely to include those that are backed up to your online backup. Livedrive has announced they do have the ability to restore the non-encrypted previous backup files in a mass restore allowing you to get access back to the clean files...

Another little tidbit there is a difference between backup and storage. Google drive and Skydrive are more of a storage service than a backup service. They are convenient but not really to be depended on as a reliable online backup solution.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

For my work laptop, I use the Windows 8 File History tool.

This is like the 'Previous Versions'/Shadow Copy feature in Windows Server, but not quite as elaborate.

Currently I use this tool and backup to a USB HDD, but it's not ideal as you have to remember to plug it in!

I am in need of a NAS, I will be buying a Synology unit shortly for this purpose amongst other things, I will then back the NAS up to external USB disks.

I also use dropbox to then backup the files I consider most important to the cloud.

On top of this I do system image backups so I can recover the OS from bare metal if I need to.

If you are running a business then you can't be too careful IMO.

Conrad

Old 01-26-2014, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

Livedrive or Carbonite are quite good option but I am not sure every one would like to go for it. Not only it will cost but also many are ready to take risk of storing in mails like Gmail which gives plenty of space to store.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Closed Thread