Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 11-16-2014, 06:42 PM

Should I use an anti-virus software?

Hi, When I first purchased my laptop I also purchased Norton with it. After 2 years of using Norton I decided to stop paying. Within the last year or so I have not been using any anti-virus software.

Is this a silly move? Should I use anti-virus? if so, what is a good one that's free?

Cheers

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-16-2014, 07:40 PM
v7n Mentor

Under no circumstances should you ever risk your identity, safety or the safety of any valuable files like pictures or other information by not being protected by at least something.

The ones that I usually recommend are Avast and AVG as for free protection. Other people have others that they recommend. I don't like recommending free protection as today the threats are worse than ever before and they usually don't keep up.

The paid versions I am recommending right now are Webroot (the one I am now providing for my members/clients) and Kaspersky. Just in the last 2 weeks I have had 3 crypto wall 2.0 victims come to me for help (weren't protected by me at time of infection by the way ). And several other infected with random types of Trojans and viruses.

All had up to date antivirus programs installed. Some free and some Paid. Keep in mind also that Trojans and other types of information retrieval threats i.e. keyloggers etc are designed to be silent so they can get as much information as possible to send back to their makers.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:54 PM

Hey thanks TechWizard,

You can only get infected with Trojans and viruses by downloading shady software, am I correct? Like, if you don't download anything you'll be safe, right? I suppose it can't hurt getting an anti-virus software, anyway.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:38 PM
Contributing Member

I haven't used an antivirus in at least 10 years, no problems at all. If you don't go on shady websites or download shady software you'll be fine.
Of course, it is smarter to use an antivirus, the one i would recommend is AVG

Old 11-17-2014, 01:48 AM
Contributing Member

Well if you are looking for something free then I would recommend avast, but if you truly wish to secure your computer you need more then an antivirus, you will need antispyware, antivirus, antispam and firewall protection and usually they come as a full package.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator

Why do you guys think one can only pick up malware or a trojan from a shady website?

There are perfectly legitimate corporate websites that often get hacked and one can pick them up from there also.

Coming from an IT background, I personally think it is crazy not having at least a free AV running on your system.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:17 AM

Thumbs down

You should use antivirus software to protect your PC form Trojans and viruses. Avast is the best and free antivirus software .. I am using it form last 4 years.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:31 AM
Contributing Member

I would say it really depends on the operating system that you are using. If you use Mac OS or Linux then you can get buy with out an antivirus program. However the same can not be said about Windows. Windows is a magnet for viruses and you should always install an antivirus program even if it is a free version like Avira or Avast.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:43 AM
Contributing Member

I would say that it depends on your operating system if you are using command base operating system than you no need to use Antivirus software. But if you are using .exe files than you must use Antivirus Software.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:39 AM
v7n Mentor

Like G10 said even reputable and corporate sites fall victim and spread the love so to speak. Not to mention, bots, botnets etch...

These days all you have to do is connect a computer to the Internet...especially if you don't install every single update right when it is available and hope you are one of those first ones that get hit that alerts everyone else to the exploit or security hole....

BTW....just because you don't see a visible trace of being infected does not by any means mean that you aren't the good ones hide well...

Old 11-19-2014, 02:48 AM
Contributing Member

That give one some thing to think about. Are there any bennifits from using paid antivirus program above a free antivirus program?

Normally when I install windows I install an anti virus program before doing installing any thing else even the drivers.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:39 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWizard View Post
Under no circumstances should you ever risk your identity, safety or the safety of any valuable files like pictures or other information by not being protected by at least something.
I could not agree more. Even though a major way to prevent getting viruses is by using good judgement on the sites you visit, there are many other ways in which viruses can be contracted. Therefore try to get at least some form of protection, whether free or a paid subscription. I've had a variety of friends use limewire and then share with other of my friends some media files and then they wonder how they got infested. People that you trust sometimes don't take many precautions and therefore share files, email attachments that have viruses and then it's spread like wildfire.

With that being said, in regards to already having Norton, I would recommend not renewing at their requested price point. The reason why is because it's better just to buy a new subscription with Norton. They always have a 2 year new product special that is around have the price of a regular renewal. But at least get something so that you have some level of protection.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:26 AM
Contributing Member

If you sitck up with trusted sites only, you shouldn't have any troubles. Stay away from torrent trackers as well.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:09 AM
Contributing Member

Despite browsing only the "trusted" sites...man..use an antivirus. there's plenty of good freeware for home use.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:16 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillow View Post
If you sitck up with trusted sites only, you shouldn't have any troubles. Stay away from torrent trackers as well.
We all need to catch up to the 21st century

This was true 15 years ago. While it may help today it definitely does not keep you safe. The fact is that you can connect a computer to the Internet and never use it and still end up with a Trojan or virus on the computer in today's world.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWizard View Post
We all need to catch up to the 21st century

This was true 15 years ago. While it may help today it definitely does not keep you safe. The fact is that you can connect a computer to the Internet and never use it and still end up with a Trojan or virus on the computer in today's world.
This is so true. But how do those trojan's find your computer or do they find an isp and then sniff through their clients?

Old 11-21-2014, 05:01 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalds86 View Post
This is so true. But how do those trojan's find your computer or do they find an isp and then sniff through their clients?
There are really to many ways to count...the favorite it seems are bots and bot nets these days. Even Macs are being used as part of bot nets...

Like the old SETI program of the 90's they are using other peoples computers to give them the computing power to scour the 3 billion Internet users to discover things like which are still vulnerable from lack of Windows or third party updates. Which have particular ports open and available....etc...when weak computers are found the bots report back to those that created them and the information is used for whatever they have in mind....

Like I said, these days all you have to do is simply connect a computer to the Internet don't even have to ever use it...

Old 11-21-2014, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

I haven't used anti virus software on any of old or new my laptop. I know it's very risky but the anti virus software used up lots of memory and made my computer ran extremely slow. I always had a lot of files so it usually took ages to scan my computer.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:17 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodoofan View Post
I haven't used anti virus software on any of old or new my laptop. I know it's very risky but the anti virus software used up lots of memory and made my computer ran extremely slow. I always had a lot of files so it usually took ages to scan my computer.
Take a look at Webroot SecureAnywhere You will be very pleased I guarantee it

Old 11-22-2014, 04:25 AM
Contributing Member

I think it is best to carry on using antivirus software, tons of infected files are in the internet. I would like not to recommend any software to you because it is the choice of yours, note that no software will provide you a cent percent ideal protection however it may active on know virus signatures.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Closed Thread