Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
  #1  
Old 09-01-2016, 10:40 AM
dsc81's Avatar
dsc81 dsc81 is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 08-31-16
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 50
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Linux, Mac, or Windows

In this republic of V7N. I would like to know which OS do you use for your computer?
Let me start I use Centos7
 

Advertisement

Advertisement

  #2  
Old 09-01-2016, 11:26 AM
TechWizard's Avatar
TechWizard TechWizard is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 07-26-07
Location: Georgia
Posts: 6,156
iTrader: 2 / 100%
I do remote computer repair for Windows and Mac based computers. Have to use what I fix. I also have Linux (CentOS and Ubuntu not actively using them at the moment though) Main computers used are Windows based both 7 and 10 mainly...
 
  #3  
Old 09-02-2016, 09:31 AM
dsc81's Avatar
dsc81 dsc81 is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 08-31-16
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 50
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Thanks for sharing.
I do also have mac for my laptop. But I don't use Windows anymore since 2003. Because I have a virus nightmare in my office
 
  #4  
Old 09-02-2016, 09:41 AM
Angry's Avatar
Angry Angry is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 08-10-16
Location: Germany
Posts: 35
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc81 View Post
Thanks for sharing.
I do also have mac for my laptop. But I don't use Windows anymore since 2003. Because I have a virus nightmare in my office
I use windows. They are compatible, reliable, supported by every developer in the world, powerful, cheaper and so many other positive things I love windows. Ok they are not that fancy or fruit related, but im ok with it
 
  #5  
Old 09-02-2016, 12:47 PM
shibaa987 shibaa987 is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 02-05-16
Location: Bangalore, India
Posts: 159
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I use Linux for development and Windows for normal day to day usage because application support is more and stable as compared to Linux.
 
  #6  
Old 09-02-2016, 09:50 PM
torat hossain's Avatar
torat hossain torat hossain is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 06-29-16
Location: dhaka
Posts: 67
iTrader: 0 / 0%
i use windows on my PC. because windows is easy to use and i have lots of apps on windows 10 store, and i always like to play games and windows give me the freedom to play any games on my PC. but i also heard the Linux is also very useful but i don't know about dual booting.

Last edited by torat hossain; 09-02-2016 at 09:51 PM. Reason: typing mistake
 
  #7  
Old 09-03-2016, 08:10 AM
TechWizard's Avatar
TechWizard TechWizard is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 07-26-07
Location: Georgia
Posts: 6,156
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by torat hossain View Post
i use windows on my PC. because windows is easy to use and i have lots of apps on windows 10 store, and i always like to play games and windows give me the freedom to play any games on my PC. but i also heard the Linux is also very useful but i don't know about dual booting.
Dual booting is not difficult really, not usually anyhow

I just created a dual boot environment for a local member who depends on a program that will not run on any Windows newer than Windows XP. I offered the solution of having Windows 7 to be able to have a modern computer and a dual boot into Windows XP so that if they need to use that program they still can.
 
  #8  
Old 09-03-2016, 10:52 AM
dsc81's Avatar
dsc81 dsc81 is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 08-31-16
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 50
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWizard View Post
Dual booting is not difficult really, not usually anyhow

I just created a dual boot environment for a local member who depends on a program that will not run on any Windows newer than Windows XP. I offered the solution of having Windows 7 to be able to have a modern computer and a dual boot into Windows XP so that if they need to use that program they still can.
Hi,
I found you said Windows XP right? Are this version of Windows already entering End of Life? Are they still have support for Windows XP? I heard from many of my friends that Windows XP is the best Windows that Microsoft ever develop, unfortunately it's already entering end of life.
 
  #9  
Old 09-03-2016, 03:19 PM
TechWizard's Avatar
TechWizard TechWizard is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 07-26-07
Location: Georgia
Posts: 6,156
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc81 View Post
Hi,
I found you said Windows XP right? Are this version of Windows already entering End of Life? Are they still have support for Windows XP? I heard from many of my friends that Windows XP is the best Windows that Microsoft ever develop, unfortunately it's already entering end of life.

Windows XP is beyond it's end of life. Whether it was the best or not is strictly a matter of opinion for most people. Personally I am a Windows 7 fan. There are a lot of features in Windows 10 that I like as well though.

For limited use especially in the situation I mentioned there are still reasons to use Windows XP. When money has been paid on software that will only work on Windows XP then using it for just that software is conventional. Providing the dual boot provides the best of both worlds so to speak. Using it inside of Virtual Box for some is also an option, for others it is to much of a hassle and to complicated. Providing the solution that best fits the person is what I strive to do...
 
  #10  
Old 09-04-2016, 09:19 AM
dsc81's Avatar
dsc81 dsc81 is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 08-31-16
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 50
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWizard View Post
Windows XP is beyond it's end of life. Whether it was the best or not is strictly a matter of opinion for most people. Personally I am a Windows 7 fan. There are a lot of features in Windows 10 that I like as well though.

For limited use especially in the situation I mentioned there are still reasons to use Windows XP. When money has been paid on software that will only work on Windows XP then using it for just that software is conventional. Providing the dual boot provides the best of both worlds so to speak. Using it inside of Virtual Box for some is also an option, for others it is to much of a hassle and to complicated. Providing the solution that best fits the person is what I strive to do...
Thank you for your explanation.. You are a tech wizard
 
  #11  
Old 09-04-2016, 10:10 PM
snakeair snakeair is offline
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018
 
Join Date: 12-31-07
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 54,771
iTrader: 3 / 100%
WIN10 for personal home laptop for online stuff.

WIN7 on old laptop I use for when I do side computer jobs for people in my apartment complex as I have stuff on there to help me do my job as in contracts, excel doc's...etc
 
  #12  
Old 09-05-2016, 12:14 AM
Colorgraphicz Colorgraphicz is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 08-19-16
Posts: 32
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Both windows and Linux (linux mint)
 
  #13  
Old 09-05-2016, 07:43 PM
lovelyncook lovelyncook is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 08-11-15
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 346
iTrader: 0 / 0%
WIN10 for both personal and business stuff.
 
  #14  
Old 09-16-2016, 03:11 AM
Jhonnyedward Jhonnyedward is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 07-12-14
Location: Provo
Posts: 11
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I use latest version of windows 10 os.
 
  #15  
Old 09-18-2016, 04:04 PM
VENETX VENETX is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 08-19-14
Posts: 20
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Personal working computer Windows.
Easier to manage
 
  #16  
Old 09-18-2016, 05:12 PM
TechWizard's Avatar
TechWizard TechWizard is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 07-26-07
Location: Georgia
Posts: 6,156
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by VENETX View Post
Personal working computer Windows.
Easier to manage
In all honesty even those with little or no Linux experience will have just as easy a time with a Graphical Interface in Ubuntu etc as opposed to learning the environment of Windows. Even those familiar with Windows or Mac would have little difficulty adapting themselves to Linux using a GUI interface. Many may even find themselves having an easier time of things.
 
  #17  
Old 09-18-2016, 05:45 PM
VENETX VENETX is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 08-19-14
Posts: 20
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWizard View Post
In all honesty even those with little or no Linux experience will have just as easy a time with a Graphical Interface in Ubuntu etc as opposed to learning the environment of Windows. Even those familiar with Windows or Mac would have little difficulty adapting themselves to Linux using a GUI interface. Many may even find themselves having an easier time of things.
Ive had Centos as a OS for my desktop for 1 year. But then again I couldnt do much with it. I really did enjoy it as it was a lot faster and didnt have any errors or problems.

But I am always a windows type of guy when working. For my servers all I have to do is PUTTY in and of course do my work from there. installing GNOME would diff. slow down my server and its really pointless.
 
  #18  
Old 09-18-2016, 06:50 PM
TechWizard's Avatar
TechWizard TechWizard is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 07-26-07
Location: Georgia
Posts: 6,156
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by VENETX View Post
Ive had Centos as a OS for my desktop for 1 year. But then again I couldnt do much with it. I really did enjoy it as it was a lot faster and didnt have any errors or problems.

But I am always a windows type of guy when working. For my servers all I have to do is PUTTY in and of course do my work from there. installing GNOME would diff. slow down my server and its really pointless.
I was definitely talking about home users on Linux

While you can put a GUI on a server it kind of is pointless and detrimental to the server. Gotta love Putty
 
  #19  
Old 09-18-2016, 07:05 PM
VENETX VENETX is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 08-19-14
Posts: 20
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWizard View Post
I was definitely talking about home users on Linux

While you can put a GUI on a server it kind of is pointless and detrimental to the server. Gotta love Putty
oh hahahaha yeah home users with Linux is good to be honest!
Easier to add printers too XD
 
  #20  
Old 09-18-2016, 11:31 PM
bilalnaveed bilalnaveed is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 08-06-16
Location: Lahore, Pakistan
Posts: 44
iTrader: 0 / 0%
I'm sorry for asking here a childish question ? , can anyone tell me what is os for computer ? tell me so I can get this knowledge !!
 
Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows vs Linux sofy60 Web Design Lobby 12 11-24-2005 06:29 AM
Linux OS vs Windows XP IIS 5.1 discusman Dedicated Servers 12 03-15-2004 09:24 AM


V7N Network
Get exposure! V7N I Love Photography V7N SEO Blog V7N Directory


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:37 PM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Copyright © 2003 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC