Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 11-05-2016, 09:10 AM
v7n Mentor

Did You Know You Can Still Get Windows 10 Free Upgrade?

Not many people know about this but you can still get Windows 10 Upgrade for free. Microsoft is still offering the free upgrade for people that use Assistive Technologies.

The catch is that there is actually no catch. Microsoft is not checking whether you actually use assistive technologies or not. Microsoft will announce when they do decide to stop this free upgrade option. The web page where you can get the update is

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/acce...ndows10upgrade

Another point is that you may already be using assistive technology in Windows and not even realize it. Though it is definitely there to assist people that have disabilities it also includes to name a few

• On Screen Keyboard
  • Sticky Keys
  • Narrator (Windows Reading, taking voice commands etc)
  • Mouse Options and Pointer Options
  • High Contrast (Designed for Color Blind also good for those that need a change in screen etc)
This is a very short list of the options available and that you may already be using or find helpful. Bottom line is that you can still get the free Windows 10 Upgrade if you want to.
www.pchelper123.com

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-07-2016, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Of course they are still offering it, not only do they offer it for free, they actually PUSH people and upgrade the soft automatically in some cases..

And it is the worst thing one can do... It will completely break your PC, it will slow it down to the point when you'll literally go crazy.. This is because once you do that, the machine is continually using a 100% capacity of your disk for indexing files (some bug from the upgrade)..

When I did it my machine became completely useless.. You can read the same reviews on many many sites, it's simply a bad choice... If you want to install Windows 10, do it from scratch by first formatting your entire PC.

Delete everything, and do a fresh install, only then, it will work fine.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Who View Post
And it is the worst thing one can do... It will completely break your PC, it will slow it down to the point when you'll literally go crazy.
I had the complete opposite happen. The machine started faster, was a moderate improvement in loading and unloading apps (memory handling too) as well as shutting down faster too. Mind you, it's still far from perfect as I had a couple of apps to upgrade and a couple of other anomalies, but as far as hardware, I went unscathed. I'm still glad I upgraded.

Quote:
This is because once you do that, the machine is continually using a 100% capacity of your disk for indexing files (some bug from the upgrade)..
Never experience this issue and still periodically check memory and cpu usage.

Old 11-08-2016, 01:40 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Well I guess that you are one of the lucky ones then

Because almost everyone I know who upgraded had this or a similar issue.. The discussion threads are flooded with complaints and bad reviews.. Eventually, all went well once I did a clean install, but the upgrade itself, it really screw things up for me..

Not only that, but my lap top's cooler starting heating like crazy.. It got into the mode of shutting down on its own, all the time when I run any app which uses more CPU. At first I thought maybe there's dust in it or there's something wrong with the cooler, so I changed it, I cleaned it, I did everything, and still, the problem remained the same.

It was from the indexation, it overwhelmed the machine.. Once I did a clean install, ALL of these problems dissappeared.

I'm sharing this just in case someone is facing the same issue. I hope that for most everything will go well as it did for you @LMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
I had the complete opposite happen. The machine started faster, was a moderate improvement in loading and unloading apps (memory handling too) as well as shutting down faster too. Mind you, it's still far from perfect as I had a couple of apps to upgrade and a couple of other anomalies, but as far as hardware, I went unscathed. I'm still glad I upgraded.

Never experience this issue and still periodically check memory and cpu usage.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:58 PM

windows 7 is the best

Old 12-21-2016, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
I hope that for most everything will go well as it did for you @LMD
Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones.

I'm going to get a new machine with Win 10 installed sometime in the next couple/few weeks, so once I get all my apps loaded and other crap I need to run, I'll see how the new box runs Win 10. Mind you, the new machine will have a superior CPU, caching, ram etc, but I'll have to keep that in mind when comparing.

Right now, I'm having boot issues with my wireless mouse/keyboard. In another thread here, unless I boot the machine without the wireless stick plugged into the USB, it gets stuck in a "loop". If I boot without the stick in, once the OS is loaded, I then plug the stick back in, and to date, no issue.

It started happening a couple months ago during a bunch of OS updates. Sheesh!

Old 12-22-2016, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

According to my mother, Windows 10 sucks and I have to teach her a few things this weekend when I go over there.

Old 12-24-2016, 10:40 AM
v7n Mentor

Really not a lot of usage difference between 10 and 7 for regular users most of the time...for the other stuff using the search bar pulls it right up
www.pchelper123.com

Old 02-17-2017, 10:45 AM

I have 2 computers, one with windows 7 and one with 10, and the 7 is simply more convenient and easier to work with. I personally don't like all these cubes in win 10.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:27 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal2070 View Post
I have 2 computers, one with windows 7 and one with 10, and the 7 is simply more convenient and easier to work with. I personally don't like all these cubes in win 10.
But windows is built to have windows 7 features, so you may have to meet cubes all the time

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk