Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.

Share |
Old 02-04-2017, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Google kills support for Gmail in these Chrome versions: Check if you're affected

Please check

Quote:
Some Gmail users may soon find themselves at a higher risk for security problems and without access to updates and new features. Google recently announced via a blog post that Gmail will no longer support Chrome Browser version 53 and earlier.

Beginning on February 8, 2017, a banner will appear at the top of the page in Gmail for users who access it from Chrome version 53 or earlier encouraging them to upgrade their browser, the post said. At the time of this writing, Chrome is on version 55, which contains several key security features, the post noted.
Continued at: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/...oure-affected/

Any feedback on this news?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2017, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member

Number of people affected by this will probably be very less. Windows XP + Vista have about 10% market share put together. (as per these stats https://www.netmarketshare.com/opera...10&qpcustomd=0)

Internet Explorer used to be the dominant browser when these OSes were the prime OS, plus there will be people using outlook for mail. These two put together will probably have 80-90% share of the 10% so share of chrome would be around 1-2%.

I guess best thing for these people to do would be to switch to Firefox or use a mail app like outlook.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

Most users left Gmail when the password hack took place over a year ago. Gmail has historically been one of the worst email services for years, and users should have moved away by now! This will probably be the death Knell.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:50 PM

When I don't want spam to my main email address, I sign up using my gmail as I never check it. lol

Old 02-04-2017, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

I have a Gmail ID that I purely use as a proxy. Whenever I sign up for spammy stuff I give that ID. Same goes for phone number. I have a burner phone number that I give for store promtions, discounts & also to people I don't want to hear back from!

Old 02-09-2017, 01:11 AM

Basically the new version will keep a strong check on the security of websites and the certificates they hold. The sites will have to keep their security uptodate else chrome will show them as not secure.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:55 AM
Contributing Member

I use Gmail as my secondary email account - gets more spam than the primary but not like one of the make-it-and-abandon-it designated junk mail accounts I have had over the years. I have my game's site email forward to the Gmail account.

But I use Thunderbird for both email accounts with a daily Firefox visit to Gmail for a couple seconds to glance at titles and delete spam. I do that when I do my quick wander through my free hosts to keep them active.

The current crop of spam is showing a sad lack of originality and lacks entertainment value...................

Old 02-11-2017, 06:39 PM

If you ask me, I would definitely prefer gmail than yahoo's. I think you'd get spam if you are not that vigilant enough in using/sharing your email ad. I've been using my gmail account for years already. So far, I haven't received any significant amount of spams.

Old 02-11-2017, 08:11 PM

My company is moving to Google suite like tomorrow. The migration starts and I run the 3rd shift which goes in tomorrow night. I'm pretty much sure there will be problems and I can't access certain things to do my job as the boss.

Our whole company which is world wide is migrating at the same time. I hate google at times and now I am forced to love them when I go to work. I have to download a new app to get email working on my phone as it's a work phone and personal phone.

Google Chrome is now our default browser at work to use for all things.

We are going into partnership with them.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk