Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-31-2017, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Fake USB and SD cards

I have just been watching the British TV show 'Fake Britian' and they mentioned how scammers have started selling fake USB memory sticks and SD cards that are sold as being larger capacity than they actually are. They showed a supposedly 16GB USB drive that actually only had 1GB of storage, the scammers rig them so that Windows sees them as 16gb so you can't tell by looking at what the OS reports. After you copied 1GB of data the drive just starts to over write existing data so you think its working ok.
I just tested a 32GB SD card i bought off ebay a few month ago with the free program H2TESTW and it reports that only 8GB of the SD card can be written, plus it was supposed to be a class 10 but only managed class 2 speeds. I am glad I realised now as I have only used about 6GB of storage on the memory card at the moment and i have now backed all that up so haven't lost any data. i have reported the ebay seller as they are stilll selling these SD cards on the site, I suspect that a lot of these dirt cheap high capacity memory cards and sticks on ebay are going to be dodgy.
If you have bought any cheap USB drives or SD cards i would try testing them before you loose any data.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2017, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

I'm surprised that such problems are being discovered en masse just about now. I encountered something like this nearly 5 years ago. An 8 GB pen drive had only 2GB storage space & no attempt was made at concealment. It was only the packaging that said 8 GB, my machine said it was only 2GB. To get around such problems I only buy from known sellers, either from stores or directly sold by Amazon.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

The ebay seller i bought my SD card from has over 10000 feedback so looked reputable. it says they have sold over 300 of these memory cards so thats potentially 300 other people who dont know they bought a fake and by the time they realise they may just think its gone faulty and buy a new one.
Ebay don't seem to give a dam unless it affects their profits.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

It the last 6 months I bought 3 Micro SD cards from ebay which turned out to be fake - all 3 128GB

In windows all cards showed the correct size. However once you fill the card up half way the transfer speeds drops to a crawl and just finishes - and the files show up on the card as the correct size.

So some people will only notice once the card is half full. By that time it could be months after and you have already given feedback by then.

I now use a program called H2testw to test before I use the card to make sure.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy99 View Post
The ebay seller i bought my SD card from has over 10000 feedback so looked reputable. it says they have sold over 300 of these memory cards so thats potentially 300 other people who dont know they bought a fake and by the time they realise they may just think its gone faulty and buy a new one.
Ebay don't seem to give a dam unless it affects their profits.
Can't you return the product to the seller for a refund? Even aliexpress has a mechanism for returns & refunds (and these exchanges take place all the way between your home country & China) so I'm assuming eBay would too.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:43 PM
Latest Blog:
None

ohh ... i heard in india fraudsters sell toy usb drive, nothing will be happen if you put into the usb , in uk atleast you are getting 1 gb

Old 04-18-2017, 02:28 PM

LOL I'm curious to know how much money they are saving. Im sure a bunch have been tracked down and had the feds come knocking at their door.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:43 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Yes, Its happen on online shopping sites ... they have share some duplicate or dummy products on sites..

Old 04-19-2017, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

so what thing we should do to avoid scammers product.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk