Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 04-27-2017, 04:44 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Anyone know how to restrict access to certain websites?

I have just caught a member of staff red-handed scrolling through Facebook. (I wouldn't usually mind but she's not in the good books as it is).

Is there a quick and easy way to restrict access to Facebook etc.. whilst at work?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-27-2017, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Take a look here, http://smallbusiness.chron.com/block...ees-12326.html, the approved sites bit will probably be useful. I would, however, communicate/reiterate with your staff that it's against the rules to access websites irrelevant to their jobs during company time.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:59 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

@woomeister - Thanks for the links!

Yeah, I've already communicated about using mobile phones extensively. Teenagers eh! Thanks though, I'll have a chat with her!

Old 04-27-2017, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflat9 View Post
@woomeister - Thanks for the links!

Yeah, I've already communicated about using mobile phones extensively. Teenagers eh! Thanks though, I'll have a chat with her!
My company has a social media policy and when we hire a new tech, they must sign this and agree to it.

If they don't read it, they end up fired anyways.

Employee's can be on social media accounts but only when on break and not using a company laptop or desktop. People try to block there browsing history but our servers can still tell when someone is on social media sites.

Never mind the security camera's are pointed at employee's desk and other places which can be zoomed in. I'm a team lead and had a suspicion about a employee breaking a company policy so I was able to review the taps and I was right.

It warranted a firing coming straight from the employee handbook people keep forgetting to read when hired.

It might be wise to hold team meeting and go over some work stuff but go over certain things you can not do on a company desktop and laptop while not on break.

Who ever runs the servers the company use's talk to them.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
My company has a social media policy and when we hire a new tech, they must sign this and agree to it.

If they don't read it, they end up fired anyways.

Employee's can be on social media accounts but only when on break and not using a company laptop or desktop. People try to block there browsing history but our servers can still tell when someone is on social media sites.

Never mind the security camera's are pointed at employee's desk and other places which can be zoomed in. I'm a team lead and had a suspicion about a employee breaking a company policy so I was able to review the taps and I was right.

It warranted a firing coming straight from the employee handbook people keep forgetting to read when hired.

It might be wise to hold team meeting and go over some work stuff but go over certain things you can not do on a company desktop and laptop while not on break.

Who ever runs the servers the company use's talk to them.
Working in an environment like this sounds like hell...or 1984! If companies want to have motivated staff I think decent relationships need building and it would appear the desire to 'fire' people for misdemeanours is on your agenda! I understand the issue with people time wasting on social media sites though!

Old 04-30-2017, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

In my company every one can be at social media, can have fun and rest as much as they want.
Everyone as objectives that they have to archive and thats it how they manage their time is with them. As long they do what they are ask for well then they can have as much fun as they want.

But answering to the question you can block on your router certain webpages.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:19 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflat9 View Post
I have just caught a member of staff red-handed scrolling through Facebook. (I wouldn't usually mind but she's not in the good books as it is).

Is there a quick and easy way to restrict access to Facebook etc.. whilst at work?

Thanks!
Try Untangle dot com free software version. Easy to use !!. Let me know if you need my help installing it. PM !

Old 05-03-2017, 01:52 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordpressmigrator View Post
Try Untangle dot com free software version. Easy to use !!. Let me know if you need my help installing it. PM !
Thanks, looks like I have to buy it though, could do with a free version!

Old 05-03-2017, 01:57 AM
Contributing Member

Most routers have the ability to restrict access to certain websites. A Linksys router I had a decade ago could be configured for restrictions! Here's how you can do it on Linksys https://www.technipages.com/block-ce...linksys-router

The procedure to do it on other routers is similar

Old 05-03-2017, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

What i recommend for the future is just choose better your employees having a good team is the most important part of a company.
When you cant trust them to manage their time and have to cut their access to certain webpages i think that is a symptom of a larger problem that if not addressed will keep on growing.

Kinésio Tapes - Best Price/Quality ratio

Old 05-05-2017, 03:26 AM
Latest Blog:
None

You can use RMM tools to track or Internet security tool for your needs

Old 06-07-2017, 04:25 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woomeister View Post
Working in an environment like this sounds like hell...or 1984! If companies want to have motivated staff I think decent relationships need building and it would appear the desire to 'fire' people for misdemeanours is on your agenda! I understand the issue with people time wasting on social media sites though!
I think banning social media sites is necessary what if your client need some task to be done in certain deadline and all because your employee was busy on his or her social media account the task remain incomplete and that leads to client loss which is not something any company would want.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by angad View Post
I think banning social media sites is necessary what if your client need some task to be done in certain deadline and all because your employee was busy on his or her social media account the task remain incomplete and that leads to client loss which is not something any company would want.
Totally agree with it ! We should see both the sides to be fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaguar View Post
Most routers have the ability to restrict access to certain websites. A Linksys router I had a decade ago could be configured for restrictions! Here's how you can do it on Linksys

The procedure to do it on other routers is similar
We can restrict the website's but its not possible to restrict the https facebook version with the router only. You need a proper firewall to do that.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:39 PM

You can use an Antivirus program like Quickheal. It has parental control feature to block websites.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

that is where firewall comes in part, but it does cost heavy in case of hardware firewall to integrate with your LAN network. With firewall they are monitored every of their network level activities performed in company computer, as it takes place between your intranet (LAN) and internet. Using hardware firewalls also provide higher level of security LIKE Trojan backdoors, Session hijacking, DOS & DDOS attacks, viruses, cookie stealing and hence preferred for servers where security has the top most priority.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:22 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordpressmigrator View Post
We can restrict the website's but its not possible to restrict the https facebook version with the router only. You need a proper firewall to do that.
Yes you can. See these linksys instructions http://www.linksys.com/us/support-ar...icleNum=135668

Old 06-20-2017, 10:06 PM
Contributing Member

Different step in blocking a website. I dont know if your question is to block on a certain pc on you're office. If that the case, I suggest to open this, A step by step how to black a website.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/24907...-websites.html

Other way blocking certain website is by router restriction...

Old 06-22-2017, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

if you are using a router it is an easy way to block websites.
Just visit 192.168.0.1 (or) 192.168.1.1
Enter Login Details
Go to Advanced setting
use parent control option to block websites.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:07 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Have you done it yet, because I have an easy way for your problem
Just open run tab and add the following link: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
-> Open host file by notepad -> enter at the end of notepad file: 127.0.0.1 website you need to prevent. Done

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Closed Thread