Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 01-11-2018, 12:34 AM
Latest Blog:

Auto-update of OS - necessity or hidden danger?

Hello everybody,

Just an hour ago, I have updated my Ubuntu OS and my computer broke.
Ive easily found the problem and the solution was to restore the previous version of OS. It looks like nothing terrible happened, but I start asking myself more and more: Do I really need those auto-updates of OS?

This is not the first time when after release of new OS version (I am talking not only about Ubuntu) you can face a critical error and this is not so bad if the only problem would be to downgrade the version, but sometimes it can seriously affect your computer.

So the question is, do you use auto-update, or prefer to wait some time until it will be tested for a week or more and then install update?

Old 01-15-2018, 06:39 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:

In regards to our question, I tend to always wait a week or so before I update, so in other words I do not auto update. One of the reason is that if the update "breaks" something or causes problems to other features then I avoid a lot of stress and hassle. Also too I have seen that some updates cause major slowness on other programs and it really just gets frustrating.

At the end of the day updating the OS in my opinion is important and a necessity but I personally like to do it after "the dust settles".
Get your very own website builder online with no prior website design experience.
Check us out if you are looking to register domain names at low prices with technical support available 24/7.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:40 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself, i always do the same (waiting around a week) with all the devices when they pop up update question, had some similiar issues years ago and it had some bad ending, costing me lossing some important data, that i wasn't be able to recover.

Good luck!
Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk