Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.

Share |
Old 02-20-2019, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

Let's discuss backup plans

My current backup system leaves a bit to be desired. I want to make a complete disk image to be able to do a full restore. I might not be able to get some of the software reloaded. Stuff I use infrequently but do use.

Critical data and programs adds up to less than 200GB.

There are a lot of ways to do it: external USB drive, docking station via USB, flash memory sticks and probably some I failed to mention.

For space and ease of use the memory stick method sounds the most simple, not the fastest or cheapest.

What do you use and why?

My WD drives entitle me to a free, probably older version of the Acronis software but I don't mind spending $50 for something better.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2019, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

I use Acronis, and love the "clone" feature. It can be a little tricky to get to work, as some systems may, or may not have issues, but it's worth a try. And, you have to have your "wits about you" when choosing the source and target drives if using the cloning function. I know this may sound simple, but in the Acronis interface, when using the clone function (especially if your machine has a WD, and your external is a WD), you have to be absolutely sure what you are doing.

Why do I like the clone feature? If I have a disk crash, I can just swap out the drives and I'm good to go. No installing the OS, software and data on a new drive - just take out the old one and put in the new one.

That said, there is at least one programs (like QuickBooks) that isn't "clone happy". There is something you have to do with QB on the new drive (can't remember exactly - remove one file somewhere in the install?), to get it to cooperate, but it's just a one-time thing, and all my other software run just fine.

2 cents

Last edited by LMD; 02-20-2019 at 07:05 AM. Reason: add

Old 02-20-2019, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

I don't do QB. I tried it out to help a friend and found it not to my liking. I use Quicken for the last 30 years or so.

I found my 500GB passport drive and made a backup + a recovery CD using Windows. That was a slow process via USB 3.X.

As I only have about 10 months to ditch Win7, I may buy an SSD and install Win 10. That might cost be a new Quicken version and maybe a couple of other things.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:12 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
I don't do QB. I tried it out to help a friend and found it not to my liking. I use Quicken for the last 30 years or so.
I just use it mostly for invoicing, tracking who owes what and some query of data now and then.

Quote:
I found my 500GB passport drive and made a backup + a recovery CD using Windows. That was a slow process via USB 3.X.
I know it may sound silly, but the key with backups are testing them for a recovery. Have you tried recovering anything from the backup as a test?

Quote:
As I only have about 10 months to ditch Win7, I may buy an SSD and install Win 10. That might cost be a new Quicken version and maybe a couple of other things.
Oooweee! Win7? You are certainly testing the envelope. But hey - if it works and your happy with it's performance, then good on ya.

SSD - yep, I'd go for it.

I can't recall when I went to Win 10 - maybe two years ago? With my last system, I took the free upgraded from Win 7 to 10. Normal computing operations were better with memory and some notable performance increases, but it wasn't without some glitches, and certainly not as good as a clean install. With my latest machine (Lenovo ThinkCenter) Win 10 came pre-installed.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post

I know it may sound silly, but the key with backups are testing them for a recovery. Have you tried recovering anything from the backup as a test?
Not yet. I'm going to find a spare drive and test it soon. I just used windows system backup so testing individual recovery is not an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post

Oooweee! Win7? You are certainly testing the envelope. But hey - if it works and your happy with it's performance, then good on ya.

SSD - yep, I'd go for it.

For me, 7 is the most stable version of windows ever. I hate to change and be forced into learning new stuff and new names for old functions.

The update was more or less forced on me during the period of time when I was working my tale off on one house or the other. Some stupid driver was missing and I just used the roll back feature. Unfortunately the security updates end in Jan 2020 and I have to do something by then.

I may just buy an ssd, get win 10 and save this hard drive just in case. I have spare main boards, cpus, memory etc. I even have one new case left.

I know I am going to lose some software no matter which way I go.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
For me, 7 is the most stable version of windows ever. I hate to change and be forced into learning new stuff and new names for old functions.
I found 7 a real trooper. It lasted quite a while for me. I opted not to upgrade to 8 or subsequent version 8 updates/upgrades. When 10 was offered for free, I hesitated for the longest time, then backed up my drive and opted for the upgrade. A clean install is much more desirable (for a lot fo reasons), but I went ahead with it with great trepidation. On looking back, the one thing I noticed right away was with 10, booting was faster, and more importantly, I could see that it managed memory much more efficiently. At least that's what I noticed.

Quote:
I know I am going to lose some software no matter which way I go.
Or, at least have to upgrade some software.

I was Ok with hardware as far as I can recall when going from 7 to 10, but had to upgrade a couple of sw packages. QB was one. Cant remember the other...senior moment.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

I'm fairly sure my 2006 version of Quicken and old Photoshop won't work.

My Photoshop Elements is a toss up but I've been thinking of upgrading that.

Office Suite is a toss up. For what I paid it shoul!

Audio CD Creator may be the one I really can't do anything about. I think they were sold.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

I'm going to attempt a clone backup maybe tomorrow. I'm hoping it goes well. I'll post back here either way if I get around to it.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

I think I have decided that Acronis True Image works a lot better than windows backup and the route I am going is to use an internal SSD in an external USB 3.0 case. I just don't have any spare SATA drives that are new enough to trust. Plus I love the small size of the SSD.

I wasn't able to find large flash drives from a name I trusted to be real for a price I was willing to pay even though that was the preferred method.

I scored a couple of empty cases with cables on EBAY for $5 each. I will just match the SSDs in each computer and will be good to go. Not the cheapest option but one that seems to please me.

This method allows for an instant test of the backup by simply booting from the external drive.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk