Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.

Share |
Old 01-23-2007, 12:26 PM
v7n Mentor

Question Is this deal good for a poor person looking for a laptop ?

Hi all,

I know nothing nada zilch about laptops. We are going on a possibly extended vacation in the rv in the future. We figured it'd be good to take something with us on our trip, but our budget is very very slim.

Worst case, we were thinking of getting a flat screen monitor (less space and weight of course) and just taking my computer in the rv, and plugging in at campsites with internet access, for things like checking email quick, directions to our next destination and maps, campsite info in case we dont follow our route exactly and other stuff. Sad I know.

But I saw this ad online and since I dont know anything about laptops wasnt sure if this was a decent computer or not ? We dont have alot of disposible cash right now.

*** today I'm selling an EXCELLENT CONDITION, 100% fully functional Toshiba Satellite Laptop. Slim, sleek and powerful!! Toshiba Satellite Laptop w/ 1.4 GHz/40 GB/256 MB/DVD-CD-RW/WiFi -

Built-in Wireless
Intel Celeron M Processor
40 GB Hard Drive
256 MB RAM
DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
Windows XP
Microsoft Office Package
as laptop bag and wireless mouse
Comes with AC Adapter and battery holding a charge.
Priced to sell @ $400.00 frim
Looking for a quick sale!!

Thanks Linda

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

It seems ok but depends on what you will be using it for.

It is running Win XP on 256 meg RAM which will work fine but may seem like it's dragging it's heels slightly.

What progs are you hoping to run on it or is it just for Office stuff and checking mail etc?

Old 01-23-2007, 12:51 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
It seems ok but depends on what you will be using it for.

It is running Win XP on 256 meg RAM which will work fine but may seem like it's dragging it's heels slightly.

What progs are you hoping to run on it or is it just for Office stuff and checking mail etc?
G10,

Checking emails, maybe some ebay on the fly, searches for info during our travels, planning a route or changing our route depending on weather situations, checking weather for the next day etc.

Thats why I was thinking for now, just bringing my computer and getting a flat screen would be cheaper for now and when money was more available maybe then going for something better ?

I know the camping grounds have internet hookups, the last site we were at in the fall had the cables next to the electric hookups, but we didnt have any computer, not sure what kind of connections speed they have either.

Maybe for now the more I think about it, it's cheaper to just bring mine for now, we just have hubbys and my desktop, but mine has more stuff loaded into it ?

Thanks,
Linda

Old 01-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Priced to sell @ $400.00 frim
Thanks a fair price , but i would recommend to upgrade the Ram to atleast 512 MB, just a few extra bucks but worth the investment...

But it better to actually run a few programs before parting with your cash, these sales can be tricky...

Old 01-23-2007, 12:57 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiviniar View Post
Thanks a fair price , but i would recommend to upgrade the Ram to atleast 512 MB, just a few extra bucks but worth the investment...

But it better to actually run a few programs before parting with your cash, these sales can be tricky...
I am kind of worried about buying one used from an actual store, at least then we might get a 30 day warranty on it or something.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Some stores in the UK offer reconditioned systems and still offer a one year warranty. Don't know how it works out there.

Be careful if taking a PC with you as the components inside have a habit of moving ever so slightly and giving you sporadic problems.

For example: - RAM moving a tad whilst desktop systems are being moved, cards slotted in the back sliding a tad. I have seen these things happen a few times to clients, that is why we get laptops as they are designed for this.

512 RAM is definately a major plus compared to 256, especially if the video card is pulling memory from your memory stick.

The system is ok, just price up going for a 512 RAM as it will make all the difference.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:06 PM
xo mudslide

I agree with kivinar - get the extra RAM or you'll pull your hair out.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:10 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Be careful if taking a PC with you as the components inside have a habit of moving ever so slightly and giving you sporadic problems.

For example: - RAM moving a tad whilst desktop systems are being moved, cards slotted in the back sliding a tad. I have seen these things happen a few times to clients, that is why we get laptops as they are designed for this.
Thanks G10,

I will let my hubby know about that, I had no idea !

Old 01-23-2007, 01:12 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristeejo View Post
I agree with kivinar - get the extra RAM or you'll pull your hair out.
That might not be so bad, I'm seeing more gray everyday ! LOL !

Thanks, there are some things I don't have a lot of patience for.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:10 AM
Contributing Member

Depends on what programs you will install. Security systems can use up a lot of RAM. With only 256 MB it may tend to lock up. You can find new comparabe laptops online for just a little more. Check what is available.

You could also look into renting a laptop for your trip.

Last edited by delstu; 01-24-2007 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Another thought

Old 01-24-2007, 07:33 AM

Most of the time we buy what we decide we can afford at the moment.
If you can afford to throw in extra $150 to $250 (and plenty of choices in between) I would do just that, and get a brand new laptop with more power and better features. If you can wait, then do and keep an eye on sales events, look for rebates etc.

Buying a used laptop is a pretty risky proposition and I would not do it unless I knew the individual laptop pretty well. Market value of the laptop you described is no more than $150 (if that)

Also, consider these factors:
  • a celeron is pretty power hungry so the battery time will be significantly shorter than with centrino
  • laptop batteries have a certain limited life, i.e. number of charges they will take. Usually that will be around 500 times, so a two year old laptop battery will hold charge for maybe 30 minutes.
  • by the time you add extra memory (which is a must) you will have spent closer to what one of the brand new laptops linked to (above) will cost you, but you will still have godknowswhat.
  • only rich people can afford to buy garbage
good luck.

Last edited by littleFella; 01-24-2007 at 07:37 AM.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:05 AM
v7n Mentor

Wow littleFella,

Thanks for the great advice, I don't have any clue at all about laptop stuff. Battery info either, I'll take all that into account !

I appreciate it !!

Linda

Old 01-24-2007, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

Dell laptops are good value for money in that price range.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

My laptop just died, it had one previous owner. Total life was 5 years. I had it for 2 of those years. As for the battery life, mine held a charge a lot longer than 30 minutes and I used it everyday pretty much all day. I used to use it for work then brought it home for use at home. I bought a thinkpad refurbished and the only reason it died was because of a known problem with that particular model, the system board. The only thing I would have done differently was browse forums to look for common problems of the model I was looking at. I was running Windows XP on 256 ram and it was not sluggish at all, and I did most of my graphic design on that thing. When it comes to laptops and computers everyone has their opinion on what is best/better. It is like asking someone what is the best tasting vegetable. Take everything with a grain of salt.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:34 PM

Several comments:

First, if the only thing you are using the computer for is Internet-related stuff, then 256 RAM is OK with Windows XP. Since the Internet is usually so much slower than the computer, the only major difference most people will notice is that bootup takes longer. I've used XP with as little as 125 RAM, and its been fine once bootup was completed. (if you want to get into creating movies and such like, then its a different story.)

Next comment: if you get your own computer, then you have to also think about Internet security, so that it does not instantly get gummed up with viruses and such. If you don't know about this subject, then plan on facing a MAJOR learning curve. I can suggest some good sites for learning about it if you want.

Finally: as an alternative if money is an issue: have you considered getting a flash drive (cost: about $10 USD for 1 GB), and setting it up with browser, email program and such like. This can then be plugged into any PC computer, anywhere (e.g Internet cafes, public libraries, computer clubs), and in effect, that computer becomes YOUR computer. Plus the host computer can handle most of the security issues, which is easier for you.

Worth a thought?

Old 01-28-2007, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslaScotts View Post
I was running Windows XP on 256 ram and it was not sluggish at all, and I did most of my graphic design on that thing. When it comes to laptops and computers everyone has their opinion on what is best/better.
I wasn't talking best/better.
In computers it's all about speed. There isn't a great deal of speed if the machine has just a notch more than minimum memory requirements.

To you working with WinXP and 256 MB of RAM is not sluggish. To me 512 is sluggish with 1GB being the beginning of comfort zone.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleFella View Post
In computers it's all about speed.
I accept that your personal needs - or just preferences - may demand that you have a computer with lots of speed, but that doesn't mean that everybody else also needs speed. Lots of people - including people who use computers constantly - don't need much speed at all.

For example: many people do little else on their computer but write text - emails, chapters for their new book, blog entries. XP with as little as 125Mb can handle this. Indeed, once booted up and with one's favourite programs loaded, such people often find it hard to tell the difference between 125Mb RAM and 1Gb RAM!

Buying unneeded speed is silly - like buying a Lamborghini so that you can buy your milk a little more quickly from the milk shop next door.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Contributing Member

Hence my comment about people have their opinions about what is best/better. I think it is better to have a very portable laptop than one with more bells and whistles. It just depends what people want though. Now that my laptop died I am going to start doing some serious thought and reseach on what I might want this year.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamaan View Post
Buying unneeded speed is silly - like buying a Lamborghini so that you can buy your milk a little more quickly from the milk shop next door.
Well, then. We should advise that no laptop should be bought. Instead, as the travel in their RV they may stop by local libraries to check their emails and ask for directions at gas stations.

I like the lamborghini coparison though. I use it myself too, but in different contest. Having a fairly speedy CPU with too little RAM is like buying a lamborghini and being limited to drive it on a 50 yard stretch of a road.

As for 125 MB (a typo?) of RAM under XP... swapping, swapping and then some more swapping. Not good for any kind of mapping software (see the original post) most of which is fairly memory intensive. Certainly not good if you want to load some GPS devisce and have some real time directions as you drive. I tried that with MS Streets and Trips. The PC told me to take a left turn in 1000 feet but I was already few hundred feet past that turn. MS MapPoint was totally out of question on a 1.6 Celeron laptop with 256 MB or RAM.

The main premise of my original post was; why buy used and therefore of uncertain quality if for the price of a memory upgrade you can have a brand new machine with some semblance of a warranty.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:09 PM

LittleFella, if the argument is about whether the original poster (Linda_in_NY) needs good speed, then I concede all; you win hands down. My reference to Lamborghinis was strictly about unneeded speed - about, in fact, refuting the idea that computers are only about speed.

So I agree that Linda_ in_NY would be well advised to get a new computer with lots of speed ... and everybody else can send me their unwanted Lamborghinis. OK?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk