Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 05-22-2007, 01:25 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Intel's Quad-Core Processors

http://www.intel.com/quad-core/

* Up to 54% better performance for intense multimedia applications, streaming movies, music, and more with powerful Intel quad-core technology¹
* Up to 53% better performance when enjoying immersive 3-D gaming²
* Up to 79% faster performance for highly-threaded applications when creating multimedia and 3-D content³
* Up to 8MB of L2 cache and 1066 MHz Front Side Bus for an unrivaled multitasking experience

What's next?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-22-2007, 07:18 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I'd like one.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:53 PM
Contributing Member

I'm still running on AMD XP2000+

think I need to upgrade MB/ PROC/ RAM / HD fast.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:07 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I'd like two of those on this
Add about 8Gig RAM and a couple of 1 Terabyte hard drives, one 52" plasma TV and I am never leaving my House. They can take the car and the furniture.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:07 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
Spam 999 Calls

Processors are getting so advanced these days. I just wondered where the limit is ever going to be.

It is perhaps logical to think that in a few years' time, our systems will be at least 16, 64 or maybe 128 core CPUs! It won't be surprising by then, but do we really need this much power for home computing?

Old 05-23-2007, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

So much processing power is not needed in computers but there is a deal between the software vendors and hardware manufacturers that means they both let the public play catch-up and that way money constantly flows.

I would only ever buy what I need and not the latest as I know exactly how these manufacturers work.

Also, you must remember that the tests Intel did were run using specific software that makes the processors look good.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:26 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I do agree with You. And I do know that most of the "minimum requirements" that are on the packages of software are set way higher than what it actually should be.
I would have to disagree however as to their testing of the equipment. There are far too many companies, magazines and so on that do their own testing of the hardware that it is almost impossible to cheat.

As for playing the catch-up game it's not always as cut and dry as that. I for example do a lot on my current machine that brings it to the very edge of it's capabilities and often I have to postpone some of the tasks because it cannot handle that much at once.
The only way I can do the work that I have to sometimes is by having two or three PCs running at the same time. Which is really costly.
The machine I do need to be able to do everything and get more than two to four hour sleep a day would actually cost me about 30-40 thousand dollars.

I do understand that I am making Your point as I speak, but only slightly as I have to do what people pay me for or I eat nothing.

I do agree also that all that processing power is not really needed in a day-to-day life of most of the people, but it does make it easier for some of us. The only reason that it is that expensive is because people who have money to burn always want the latest and that's what drives the price. I mean does anyone really need a Blu-ray DVD player in their house? But for a systems manager or a medium to large company this is a perfect way to store their backups and so on.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

My example would be something like MSWord compared to Lotus SmartSuite.

Both do similar things and hell, there are things that Lotus 123 can do that Excel can't.

The size of your hdd comes into play here and also the cycles used by ones CPU, depending on which product one chooses.

Software companies nowadays create too much bloatware compared to companies of the past.

When I worked for IBM, I remember the techinques used to market and convince people that they need such and such.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:41 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

For me the marketing of a product never worked. I am the curious kind so I always try to find out whether it is true or not what they say about the product or anything else for that matter. sometimes it is very interesting, though to observe how the marketing works. To me personally Intel's Core2duo is the first good chip they have ever made, I am an AMD person. But I see many people switching brands just because they saw this cool commercial about the chip. I still haven't switched brands yet as I am waiting to see how the quad going to actually perform. The only reason I would get it is so I can keep it for a couple of years, not because it is the latest thing.

I think that iPod (and the new Macs)is the perfect example of what You are saying. Everyone went crazy for them because the advertising was massive and it looks so shiny. To me it's it's an overpriced piece of junk.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk