Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss computer issues, tech gadgets and hardware, operating systems, browsers, broadband and wireless, virus, trojan, and spyware help.

Share |
Old 09-18-2008, 08:36 AM
v7n Mentor

Getting rid of adware/spyware etc

So while I was out of town a couple weeks ago I had someone over house-sitting. They apparently went on some bad sites and downloaded crap, and now my computer is all messed up.

The following browsers are hijacked on my computer: Firefox 3, IE7, Opera (not sure what version), Chrome. The only browser not hijacked on my PC is Safari.

I have run AdAware, Spybot Search & Destroy, and AVG. AdAware doesn't find anything, and AVG hasn't found anything significant eithe. Spybot runs and finds 3 problems, two malware things and a browser hijacker. I have it fix them, test out the browsers, and they're still messed up. So whatever it is, it must not be catching it. And, those three problems keep re-appearing.

A friend suggested to do a restore, but I'd like to avoid that if at all possible... I have so many files on there. My external harddrive is busted also, so so much for that... argh. I plan to do a complete backup this weekend, but that takes forever... in the meantime I want my PC in working order.

What can I do? How do I find the evil and be rid of it?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

First off download, install and scan with these two free programs (in this order) ....

MBAM > http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Superantispyware > http://www.superantispyware.com/

If there's anything left, or you're still having trouble after that, report back and we'll try some other stuff.

OJ

Old 09-19-2008, 06:20 AM

try using spyware doctor

Old 09-19-2008, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

Am using AVG at home

Old 09-20-2008, 07:00 AM
Artist & Motion Designer

Julie what are the problems you're experiencing? Have you tried loading into windows via safemode and with no network and running the scans?

Old 09-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member

If you have money just buy a paid anti virus

Old 09-23-2008, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

I'm using Spyware Doctor for removing spyware and malwares.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:05 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ncryptabl3_lick View Post
Julie what are the problems you're experiencing? Have you tried loading into windows via safemode and with no network and running the scans?
It hijacks my desktop background and screensaver, not allowing me to make the changes. If I do searches on any search engine, it won't let me click the results, and instead opens a new tab with some ****ty site I did not ask for.

On a related note, my computer yesterday decided not to boot up anymore. Well, it will boot up, but not windows. I can only get windows up in safe mode. It is running Windows XP Media Center. In safe mode i cannot see any of my desktop files.. only My Docs. Is there a way in safe mode, or some other mode to get at my desktop files and put them on an external harddrive? if i get those files, and My Music... I'll be happy... and then I can do a restore on the entire PC.

Any suggestions??

Old 09-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Julie

What could be an idea would be for you to put your hdd into another computer as a slave and for you to run a full virus check/malware check on it and then some more checks with some online utilites also when it is slaved - Reason for this is just to make sure that you are not risking dragging over any virus/malware over onto the other drive.

There are some good ones like Trend Micro for doing the scans but I actually use Kapsersky as I use their paid for suite anyway.

After this, search for the required files and drag them over into a folder created on the master drive.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Artist & Motion Designer

Ya this sounds more like a virus to me if you can't load windows at all. Damn.

I'd be careful about slaving it in another computer, it could corrupt that one too. But it's the best bet if you have data on there that you want to keep. Just keep in mind if you transfer data from an HDD that is infected, you stand a good chance of carrying over the virus as well.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk