Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Support Forums > V7N Forum Support

V7N Forum Support Have a problem with the V7N Forums? Get support here.

Share |
Old 07-14-2018, 11:21 PM
Contributing Member

What happened to our blog feeds?

I noticed my blog feed link is gone and I don't see them for anyone else's posts. Will they come back?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-16-2018, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

We are currently experiencing some technical issues on v7n, if i understand it correctly, then the v7n Tech Team is working on it now. So your blog feed should work again when v7n has been fixed(hopefully soon).

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

Cookies issue

I notice that when navigating around the forum too quickly (more lately than in the past), one might get a warning to wait a certain amount of seconds before accessing the forum board they are trying to view. The trouble is, intermittently, the number of remaining seconds doesn't decrease.

I'm also having a little trouble staying "logged in", which could be either a forum cookie issue, or something internal to my browser settings.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

The issue with logging in is probably the main issue on v7n, you can't log in unless you have checked the "Remember me" checkbox. However we already have that on the list of things for the Tech Team to fix.

I have however added the first issue you pointed in your post, to the list for the Tech Team to fix. Thanks for pointing it out.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

Seems to be low priority as these deficiencies have been an ongoing issue for weeks now. The lack of signature function has surely decreased traffic by a large percentage, from what I've been seeing (or not seeing ). As an owner, I'd would be making sure I'd get those eyes on the forum advertising back, or else advertisers may not want to renew.

Just saying.

Last edited by LMD; 07-16-2018 at 12:20 PM.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

One new post in 12 hours?

Old 07-17-2018, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think the login problem is resolved yet.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:34 PM
Contributing Member

I still see our old posts showing up as links even if the links aren't there. Hopefully that helps with link juice. Looking forward to the "fix" and appreciative of the V7n team.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:34 PM
v7n Mentor

Sure, I would like to see my blog feed back. And yes, I would love to add my Twitter account into the signature space. But have you noticed how much less nonsense has been posted here since signature and blog feed have been disabled? This could be a blessing in disguise and save the quality of the forum. Or whatever is left of it.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:18 PM
Community Builder

I understand the blog feed being removed, that was an old bit of code to begin with.
..but the sigs are turned off or the postbit template was edited to remove them.. Both these options are very easy fixes and the owners don't seem to really be bothered with them.
It's caused fewer post for sure but that's not always a bad thing since it's many new members that we're missing out on and most of them are spamming the place anyways.

I do hope the sigs are least come back on but in the end it's actually helping v7 since it's fewer OB links

Old 07-30-2018, 12:31 PM
v7n Mentor

I think only mods and mentors should have signature links. It shouldn't be a right, but a privilege.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, not cool when people contribute quality content in return for backlinks (as well as to be part of a community of course) but then the sigs are disabled. A surefire way to stop people from using your forum.

The end of the day, there are loads of sites/forums that people can use with the biggest threat being Facebook/LinkedIn groups and the like, so if still trying to get people to use your forum you better give them the incentive to do so, IMO. Disabling their sigs or limiting them in other ways that were otherwise free/perks for many years is going to do your forum more harm than good.

Sure, you may get some who abuse the perk but it's easy to spot them. If I disabled sigs on my forums then the activity would die right down = no newer content or new members signing up = dead forum.

I am registered at loads of new forums and see the silly things site owners are doing to try to drum up traffic. They are so desperate they are doing things that rub their loyal members up the wrong way.

I have been registered on some for many years for example and to post free advert they now come up with silly things like you must contribute 'x' number of posts every week to post ads (which were free for many years) and to have sigs "you must login once per day', etc. Just really silly. This is why a lot of the forums are dying... because sites owners are worried and doing silly things out of fear to try and keep the forum active.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:49 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Yeah, not cool when people contribute quality content in return for backlinks (as well as to be part of a community of course) but then the sigs are disabled. A surefire way to stop people from using your forum.
Agreed. But have you looked through this forum recently? What percentage would you consider quality? The only reason I can see to keep things going would be that overall the type of traffic previously attracted provides a financial benefit to the owners.
Quote:
The end of the day, there are loads of sites/forums that people can use with the biggest threat being Facebook/LinkedIn groups and the like, so if still trying to get people to use your forum you better give them the incentive to do so, IMO. Disabling their sigs or limiting them in other ways that were otherwise free/perks for many years is going to do your forum more harm than good.
Forums and blogs for that matters with quality information will always be needed. Good Facebook posts get lost. If you have something that provides a resource for those who Google related subject matters, traffic will be there. And that can stand on its own and attract new visitors. As well as like-minded members.
Quote:
Sure, you may get some who abuse the perk but it's easy to spot them. If I disabled sigs on my forums then the activity would die right down = no newer content or new members signing up = dead forum.
"Some". Not "most". Right?
Quote:
I am registered at loads of new forums and see the silly things site owners are doing to try to drum up traffic. They are so desperate they are doing things that rub their loyal members up the wrong way.
In this case what is needed is a resurrection.
Quote:
I have been registered on some for many years for example and to post free advert they now come up with silly things like you must contribute 'x' number of posts every week to post ads (which were free for many years) and to have sigs "you must login once per day', etc. Just really silly. This is why a lot of the forums are dying... because sites owners are worried and doing silly things out of fear to try and keep the forum active.
I am assuming your forum is well-enough moderated to where you can do what you do. Not every forum is like that. Not every forum owners wants to spend time on moderating, but spend time creating quality content and interacting with the real members.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitetutor View Post
I think only mods and mentors should have signature links. It shouldn't be a right, but a privilege.
To be fair, it should be all have the right to earn and have a sig enabled, or it should be disabled for everyone - no exceptions.

And while the former can be moderated by banning those that are here for the links as it's always been done, the latter will certainly facilitate the beginning of the end of this forum.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:11 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
To be fair, it should be all have the right to earn and have a sig enabled, or it should be disabled for everyone - no exceptions.

And while the former can be moderated by banning those that are here for the links as it's always been done, the latter will certainly facilitate the beginning of the end of this forum.
In that case you have lost me. The purpose of this and any forum is so that members can earn money from having signature links? I thought the reason to have forums is so that members can exchange information, learn and read up on what matters in internet marketing so they do not feel the need to spam forums for a living.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitetutor View Post
In that case you have lost me. The purpose of this and any forum is so that members can earn money from having signature links? I thought the reason to have forums is so that members can exchange information, learn and read up on what matters in internet marketing so they do not feel the need to spam forums for a living.
I don't know what you were reading, because I didn't infer that at all. You said signatures should be available for Mods and Mentors, which is convenient for you, BTW. My point was that if there is a signature function in a forum, it should be available to all, or it should be turned off for all.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:35 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
My point was that if there is a signature function in a forum, it should be available to all, or it should be turned off for all.
100% agree with that. Either allow signatures for everyone or disable signatures for everyone.

Having them enabled have many benefits for members including direct sales from the links and even help backlinks wise. There are genuine people who write quality content and the perk is they have the sig, take that away and they will just start posting at other forums that allow the perk. Even worse if you gave them the perk and after 5 years or so with 5k plus posts disable it. Do you know what that does to their SERPs, etc - ouch! That really is going to upset them if you treat them like that.

If your forum does not have the right moderators to moderate the forum properly then they simply need to hire more or better ones. If they are not able to do that the forum will die. I do not want to see that because I prefer to use forums over Social Groups because as sitetutor said say they get lost in Facebook/LinkedIn (plus have to be logged in to see the content), and I'm just oldskool and perform forums.

#forumswillneverdie

Old 08-05-2018, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

It's really nice to see all of you having an intelligent discussion.

I personally miss the blog feeds more than the sig link. It was IMHO a great form of advertising.

To correct what may be a minor misunderstanding, none of the mods on this site are paid.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

Just trying to catch up as I've been unable to log in forever.

So no blog feeds or sig links now? I bet the spamming has stopped! Are they coming back?

Old 08-05-2018, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

unknown at this time.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Support Forums > V7N Forum Support