Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Share |
Old 05-05-2009, 11:02 AM

Unhappy LOAD TIMES for website HELP!

Tried posting this here before but cannot find it, so I will retype it.

I just finished a site, and it's all flash. I need advice kind of fast. I did not account for average load time, as I assumed on my uber fast connection that all was well. Well...to my dismay, it seems at least that some people are reporting that it takes nearly 2 minutes to load.

site is http://www.traceymayer.com

I have all the content loading before the homepage shows. It was suggested to me to load sections/content dynamically. I'm thinking that's what I should have done. It's simple enough to do, isn't it? What would you do, load sections dynamically? (should that have been a no brainer?).

Please visit, and tell me how long it takes to load to the homepage and what speed/kind of connection you have. It would really help me a whole lot to know.

Thanks.

P.S. critiques (be mean if you have to) on the site are welcome.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlishyFlashy View Post
Please visit, and tell me how long it takes to load to the homepage and what speed/kind of connection you have. It would really help me a whole lot to know.
Took about 1 minute 30 seconds to load on a 5mbps fiber optic network.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:49 PM

wow. are you serious? 1 minute 30 seconds? holy cow. i thought it was a little long to load around 28seconds for me, but hopefully acceptable.

i forgot that i had an 18Mbps + connection.

honestly, what is the web standard for web page loading time? sounds like a newbie question, but I really want to know. To me, the marker is "how long would I want to wait for a site", and for that I might say 10 seconds or so....

so i knew i was pushing it, but over a minute im thinking is far beyond too long (especially on a 5Mbps like yours)....and im guessing that the average user has maybe 1.5 Mbps connection??

anyone else, please chime in and if nothing else, just tell me about how long it takes to load and what connection you have. now im kind of worrying.

what is the web standard so to speak of acceptable loading times?
also, what is currently the average connection speed people have?
what speed should site be designed for?

i really appreciate any and all input.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:04 PM

don't mean to double post or seem impatient. and i know that several of these views were mine, but there are maybe 10 of you that viewed this, can you please just time the load times (approximate), and tell me how long it loads...

even if you don't know your internet connection speed (although preferred).

thanks.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Administrator

1 min 30 secs on cable

Old 05-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

contact your hosting provider... or probably the flash you made was to huge to load... or it could due of the scripts that you put into.. make a review to your site..

cable 50mbps took 2 mins..

Last edited by bakizoo18; 05-05-2009 at 02:27 PM.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:25 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:

I just finished a site, and it's all flash.
The site is overbuilt, redo it.

Quote:
I need advice kind of fast. I did not account for average load time,
When you build a site, a 56k dialup connection should be the standard, not a high speed connection.

The entire home page should be no more then 100k. Some people say the home page should not be anymore then 75k. So whatever it is that you "built", redo it and make it less then 75k or 100k.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:29 PM

yes you are correct. the hosting provider is fine. but I made the website as one whole flash file, so you will not see the main page, until the whole thing is loaded.

my swf is just over 21MB.

difficulty on scale 1-10 (10 being most difficult), how hard would it be to reprogram, or to program it from scratch to have sections load dynamically, as opposed to how it is now?

it is a full flash site, and i understand there are probably tons of full flash sites that load large content like video, hi res images, etc. but those only take mere seconds (maybe 10 at most) on a slower dsl connection at worst; so how long would you say is acceptable (range perhaps) to wait for main page to load??

is there a professional web standard?

Old 05-05-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post

When you build a site, a 56k dialup connection should be the standard, not a high speed connection.

The entire home page should be no more then 100k. Some people say the home page should not be anymore then 75k. So whatever it is that you "built", redo it and make it less then 75k or 100k.
wow 100K! if you were to 'push' it, and consider it's done in flash (and it needs to be) what would the limit be size wise?

when a site is built, is it still standard to build around a 56K connection? couldn't you argue that the average connection would be at least 768K now?

thanks for input.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:39 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
That means that your site is at least 210,000 times larger then the recommended size of 100k. If you reduce the recommended maximum size to 75k, then your site is 280,000 times larger then the recommended size.

Quote:
is there a professional web standard?
Less then 75K - 100K. Anything over that and dialup users start clicking the back button.

Quote:
when a site is built, is it still standard to build around a 56K connection? couldn't you argue that the average connection would be at least 768K now?
thanks for input.
Well, if you had used dial up as your standard, we would not be having this discussion now would we?

And then there is server load. Having to process 21 megs everytime the home page is loaded will take its load on your server. Traffic goes up - server falls to its knees and begs for mercy.

100K - fast load times and easy on the server.

There are two major factors here - server load and load times. Even if you want a 700k page, the server load is going to be really bad.

Last edited by ~kev~; 05-05-2009 at 02:44 PM.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
That means that your site is at least 210,000 times larger then the recommended size of 100k. If you reduce the recommended maximum size to 75k, then your site is 280,000 times larger then the recommended size.
you mean 210X right? still you are right. and i know that has been a standard forever, but even nowadays? i don't want to exactly draw an analogy to screen resolution, as people design sites to 1000 pixels wide now as opposed to 800 pixels, because there is a small percentage that have lower res. screen.

so, if you were to hazard to draw an analogy with file size, would you say maybe 500KB now? Granted, that's still 40X longer than usual, and that explains, why people with a 3 Meg high speed connection are still taking almost 120seconds to load.

ur right about server load. as it is, even if you were to humor me on the file size, for a 3 meg high speed user, which is probably greater than average, it still takes a 1 minute 30 seconds at best, which is not acceptable.

how many seconds is the threshold? 15seconds?

Old 05-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:

Less then 75K - 100K. Anything over that and dialup users start clicking the back button.

Well, if you had used dial up as your standard, we would not be having this discussion now would we?

And then there is server load. Having to process 21 megs everytime the home page is loaded will take its load on your server. Traffic goes up - server falls to its knees and begs for mercy.

100K - fast load times and easy on the server.

There are two major factors here - server load and load times. Even if you want a 700k page, the server load is going to be really bad.
yes i agree with you brother... but there will be a solution on this one... i will try to ask some of my flash developer friends... and hopefully they can come up with an answer..

Old 05-05-2009, 03:06 PM

i really appreciate it bakizoo. thanks. the solution is probably to create the sections to load dynamically, no? as opposed to stuffing all images, menus, etc. in one big container file?

Old 05-06-2009, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
It took forever to load on my pc You can optimize your site by making a library where you could just call any component from your server, this can really decrease your file and you could make your homepage a real 100kb file or better, less than 75kb. You could just make separate file(which represent as the pages of your site) and from the homepage you just call them if thery're clicked by users...

Here's some good examples ( just for reference)
Dancing Masters Studio
Indian Restaurant

Quote:

That's what I was gonna say

Old 05-06-2009, 07:21 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:

so, if you were to hazard to draw an analogy with file size, would you say maybe 500KB now?
Ok, fine. Since you insist on having these huge files, lets take a look at server load.

Lets say your site gets 1,000 people per day - which aint much. Your going to burning around 500 megs of bandwidth everyday. A gig every 2 days, 15 gigs a month.

Somebody check my math on all of this.

60,000 hits - 30 gigs a month
90,000 hits - 45 gigs a month
120,000 hits - 60 gigs a month

At around 60 - 70 gigs a month your going to need a dedicated sever. But your only going to be serving around 120,000 hits a month.

In comparison, my main forum gets over 220,000 hits a month and only uses 70 - 100 gigs of bandwidth every month.

My math might be off. But you will be using at least 5X the server resources, as compared to a standard website. You will need a dedicated server 5X sooner.

Its a lose - lose situation. High load times = high bounce rate and high sever load.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:30 PM

sorry, i have been vacationing with my newly found money! kidding. not really

i appreciate all the feedback, i know the site is crappy, and if i knew how to write code to load the site in sections, instead of pieces I would have, but hopefully the client doesn't end up thinking so. what is that last link supposed to mean. i know its a tutorial, but...??

Old 05-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

Wow that is a very large site !

Old 05-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

21 MB is insane!

Took my 1024kbps connection about 5 minutes to load it. I'll talk to a friend of mine who does flash developing, but I doubt you could bring that to less than 15 MB.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:50 PM
v7n Mentor

Wow. That was quite long! I didn't finished opening it. 2mins and still got the loading screen.

I don't think it is a good idea to have this kind of sites. Unless it is an authority site or has a very good reputation and popular. But for a new site, definitely a big NO. People will get bored and will instantly close their window.

Hope you can fix it in some way. Good luck.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby