Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Share |
Old 03-14-2010, 08:28 PM

Suggestions/help rebuilding a website

Hi there - I introduced myself in Nov 09. I'm wanting to ask about building a basic website on which I can post lost and found old war pics to locate the families who 'own' them - this has been prompted by the recent theft of war pics from our family (which turned out to be valuable unbeknown to us) - now found again, thanks to a Google search, and about to be returned to us by our national library who purchased them at auction. Basically I want suggestions/advice for:
-which host would be best for this purpose (suggestions)
-including a blog?/forum? to advertise our experience and hopefully expose the trade trail that I suspect is going on with regard to pics
(am aware there could well be legal issues here so no names mentioned)
Or any suggestions at all welcome
Thanks
PS my experience is basic - have built a basic informational biz site with Yola which is not doing so well to be honest

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Administrator

The first course of action I would suggest is to sit down and come up with a plan. By doing this you will know your target audience, what their computer skills are, what they would expect from the site, the key phrases they type in the search engines when looking for your subject and be able to determine what website technologies the site will require.

If it's going to have lots of pictures then you are going to need quite a bit of space as these are big webspace consumers.

For the idea of a blog and/or forum, you are going to need a database to store entries in.

Also consider that once you get going (and you go with the forum idea), there's the amount of traffic you will get to think about. Starting out you can expect the traffic to be low but choose a hosting plan that can be upgraded later as the need arrises.

You mentioned you have used Yola. No personal experience with that but I would suggest that you take the time to learn the basics of XHTML and CSS (cascading stylesheets) so whether you decide to go with a WYSWYG (What You See What You Get) editor or choose to code manually, you can troubleshoot issues like cross-browser problems and not displaying properly.

We do have a Forum Management section here where you could have a look for ideas and see what the common problems are.

Once you think you have your hosting wishlist ready you could ask for confirmation that your list is complete in the Web Hosting forum before viewing the offers available from our own members in the Marketplace's Web Hosting section.

Oh, and you need to select a domain name suitable for your project too! Investigating this and purchasing it before you get anything like graphics and templates done is important as you chosen name could be gone by the time you purchase. Don't let on in public what name you are considering. There are people out there that will snap up the name on you and possibly try and sell it to you at an inflated price.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:13 PM

Thank you. I see I have a lot to do here. On reflection though regarding purpose I have two purposes, the one more urgent than the other. Initially and more urgently I want to put 'out there' into the public arena of my country (not the US) - the info I have regarding what I strongly suspect as an ongoing trade in these photos. (I would like secondarily to create a long term site to locate owners of old war pictures - however - my first urgency is as mentioned) Would a blog on say Google or other blog site perhaps be the way to go? In order to get some discussion going and sharing of notes with others who have perhaps encountered the same issue as we have. I've not blogged before nor set one up obviously. (I expect those who would be reading such, would be dedicated visitors to forums and blogs and I guess technically savvy regarding computers.) Or is a basic templates/build it yourself type site with the info on the way to go perhaps? But then this I imagine would take a while to be noticed on the web?? Any suggestions?? All input would be much appreciated.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:18 PM

PS I should explain, I am particularly wanting to put this 'out there' because these photos were cunningly stolen/'borrowed' off my father before he died and sold a year after he died - and I strongly suspect other old Veterans have been fleeced in this way as well. All the official paths I've tried have been a 'closed shop'. I imagine a letter to the local editor would go pretty much unnoticed which is why I suspect the web could achieve far more.
So my initial query relates to how to use the net (if possible) to my greatest advantage given this scenario.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby