Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Share |
Old 07-24-2011, 07:32 AM

Question Website Safety

Hi All,
I am brand new to web design so bought software that can keep it as simple as possible. I bought Serif Web Plus X5 to this end as I do not wish to outsource the jobs and have no html experience. I have not begun yet to create a website but will be doing so in the next few weeks.

My question is this... what do I need to do to ensure my website(s) once up and running are safe from hackers etc? How can I keep them water tight?

Thanks in advance for any feedback anyone gives to this post. Billi

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

well, even the cia gets hacked into on occasion so being "water tight" is almost a myth.

anyway, when you are ready for hosting make sure the host uses Apache and allows you to create .htaccess files per directory, this will make blocking and locking things up much easier.

you also want to make sure the host allows for you to change file permissions, and never set any files to 777 or 666 unless you know what you are doing.

for the inputs/forms on you site, make sure they all use some sort of escape or sanitize before posting data straight to the database. never post directly to the db.

make it a habit to read your access and error logs, the data there is invaluable and not just for security.

and make backups in case all else fails.

there is much to talk about; just read all you can, sites like askapache.com, perishablepress.com, and w3schools.com are great places to get familiar with.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:48 AM

That's really great Fooini... it's a foreign language now but will not be when I've done the research on all you've said. Thanks so much for taking time out to help me

Old 07-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

If someone wants something bad enough. . . they will get it

In regards to the content, graphics & overall design . . . its impossible.
Best solution is to brand your website to it's fullest potential and gain awareness in your target industry that way you don't receive any imitators :p

As far as the software, scripting, coding and (or) databases . . . best thing is to have full control over your server and not use reseller host. Protect yourself with tight security, ive had some novice host actually login and download my designs & scripts a number of times.

Goodluck~

Old 07-27-2011, 02:43 AM

Thanks Rack for your help and support. There's a whole lot I need to get clued up on.... But I will.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:15 AM
Contributing Member

Good practice is to periodically change the password to access C panel, FTP, e-mail and DB and allow limited privilege to users in dealing with the database...

Old 07-27-2011, 05:04 AM

Infoman... Thanks a lot for your input. Do you know or anyone else by chance know of a basic course I can buy that will explain all this type of thing for beginners. I've spent months researching the business side of things and no time researching this side of things so really need to get up to speed. Thanks.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:11 PM
Contributing Member

Feel free to email Bill.
jay@advanox.com

My portfolio & experience is pretty solid and I dont mind giving free consultations here and there, usually I always have the answer but when I don't I always know who does, so I'll help guide you in the right direction.

Primary thing ofcourse to avoid hackers or issues is KEEPING YOUR PASSWORDS as secured & complicated as possible. Use auto-mated passwords (most webhost provide this).

Pretty much;
A. MAKE HARD PASSWORDS (WITH NUMBS, SYMBOLS & LETTERS)
B. BACKUP YOUR DATA (Static content & databases routinely)

Aslong as you backup your data you should be fine. If you are hacked then you can recover and remedy the damage. Only additional issue would be if you think someone is going to steal your material and re-dist/re-use it. If thats the case then consider Encryption software. Theres many out there.

All in all, be prepared to spend $1,000's on software unless your pirate -.- lol.
Being ligit is best!

Old 08-01-2011, 03:41 AM

Thanks Rack. I appreciate your input. What do you mean though "be prepared to spend 1000's on software?" I have bought Serif Web Plus x5 software hoping this will be enough to create web sites with. Also, do you know of a good Branding course?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby