Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Share |
Old 07-24-2011, 10:35 AM

Is this too much to charge for a website?

Hello,
I am creating a website for a fairly large corporation. They do work with metal and manufacturing, so they have the money to do this. I am meeting with the CEO soon and I need to know if I am overcharging. I am aiming for 2, 3, or 4 thousand dollars. I am creating them a custom web-suite (tons of code), and maintaining the code. Is this a fair deal?
Thanks!
IP

Notes: Web-Suite = CMS

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

if they are established and you are building something large from scratch with ongoing maintenance, then say 1k-3k wouldn't be overcharging.

Last edited by fooini; 07-24-2011 at 11:05 AM.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

How much time will you spend on it? And what's the usual fee per hour?

Old 07-24-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winelady View Post
How much time will you spend on it? And what's the usual fee per hour?
I plan on working 10(AM)-Midnight every day until they are happy with their result. It would actually save them money to just work an initial plan. Retention costs 5-10 dollars a month. I don't like to charge per hour.

Last edited by IP Address; 07-24-2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Grammar Typo

Old 07-24-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP Address View Post
I plan on working 10(AM)-Midnight every day until they are happy with their result. It would actually save them money to just work an initial plan. Retention costs 5-10 dollars a month. I don't like to charge per hour.
The real question isn't what hours you'll be working - it's a matter of how much time you expect to spend developing the site. If it's a large and complex site, it will probably take you longer than you initially expect.

If there are multiple people or departments that have to OK the site, expect to spend even more time. I'd suggest trying to have just one person as your contact point with the authority to resolve internal disagreements over the site.

What's covered by a 5-10 dollar retention cost? If that just covers hosting, it's probably OK, although probably a bit low. If you end up spending more than an hour each month maintaining the site, you're basically working for free at that point.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Could you provide more information such as how many pages will you be designing. Are you going to be adding the content or will they add it. Is there any dynamic scripts involved (such as newsletter).

Old 07-24-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailoredVPS View Post
Could you provide more information such as how many pages will you be designing. Are you going to be adding the content or will they add it. Is there any dynamic scripts involved (such as newsletter).
I will be designing 27 pages. The dynamic scripts will be scripts such as support tickets, contact us(not email based), news content management, inquiry system(similar to support tickets), and so forth. I am also offering support tickets on my site for them(if they need help), as well as billing statements online, etc.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:28 AM

seems pretty complex...where are you located? A lot of your rate depends on your cost of living in your location...

e.g., if you're located in NYC your cost of living is more expensive so your rate should be higher.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Artist & Motion Designer

Let's be realistic here.

1k is not going to cut it.

Minimum, 3k and go up from there. (I'd start at 6k) It may as well be 50k though, we don't know who this large corporation is and what their needs are exactly.

A 'large corporation' with a substantial desire to have a proper online presence already understands the value of a high quality site and working functions that meet their needs.

Ultimately, what will determine the cost of doing the work isn't *just* how much work is involved it's also going to be the deadline. Tell me you wouldn't charge the same for a two exact sites with 1 having a deadline in a week and the other in a year? I would definitely charge more for the shorter deadline.

Of course the amount of work involved plays a large role, but the time constraints play as much of a role in cost. If they want something fast and complex, they have to pay a premium. If they want something slow and complex, there's room for everyone to breath and more relaxed development and testing phase.

Another factor is experience. The more of it you have, the quicker you can get things accomplished and the easier they are to develop. That's just par for the course but if you know your stuff, you'll make more money because you'll spend less time working. If you're going to spend your time reading tutorials and manuals, you don't have the right to charge a premium as you are not bringing premium work to the table. This is relative of course - everybody thinks they're rosy until someone else takes a whiff - don't delude yourself, so be critical. If there is something you don't know how to do then you're making more work for yourself and the return for that extra work will not be equal. If you know your stuff then you'll get through it faster and hence the return on time is higher.

As has already been mentioned, you need a clear line of communication between you and the client. Ideally it's not peppered with a dozen different people waiting on each other to give you the final approval or the content. No amount of money will feel like enough when your deadline is looming and you're waiting on them and you know the work you have left is not equal to the amount of time you have left. Define this right at the beginning - that you require a clear line of communication between you and 1, maybe 2 people... Not a group, not a division, not another office etc... They should designate 1 person as your contact - whomever that may be - its the person you speak/email directly. If you find yourself at the beck-and-call of a group of people and toggling back and forth from one office to the next then charge more.

I'm curious about this 'maintaining the code' you mentioned. Is this an ongoing thing? If it is, you should get some kind of compensation. Don't bundle that into a one time payment otherwise you're literally their slave for the life of the site / contract.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:44 PM

To add to what Rascal had to say, seeing as how you don't have a clue what to charge your own clients I'm going to assume you're still green, you know, very new to this. Probably also very young, and slightly clueless. Don't take offense here, this is genuine advise, if you're really going to be working on some project with any serious client and are not just trolling the forums here, then get it all in writing.

When a reputable company chooses to go into business with a freelance developer who appears to be green, your contact is either leading you on for a ride or planning on taking advantage of you. It happens, the industry is one of a thousand razor blades brother.

[I will be designing 27 pages. The dynamic scripts will be scripts such as support tickets, contact us(not email based), news content management, inquiry system(similar to support tickets), and so forth. I am also offering support tickets on my site for them(if they need help), as well as billing statements online, etc. ] = +$10k minimum, even for someone as green as you.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:09 AM

I'd say that's more than fair. I know companies that spent 10k + so if it a large and complex site then they could be getting a good deal too.

<please read the guidelines and create a signature when you have 30 Quality posts.>

Last edited by ScriptMan; 08-12-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: fake sig

Old 08-13-2011, 01:52 AM

I do agree with gammaRascal, for large companies, they usually consider the effect more than cost, if you are going to meeting the CEO, I think it is a good chance for offering.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

yuriguo is right. You probably need to stop thinking about cost when you are working with a larger company. They aren't thinking about it as much as you are. They want quality and results. If they have to pay more to get it, they will. I would say, think of a number you are comfortable with and add 15% to it to allow for changes etc: You will probably be right in the ballpark. But, less than 2K is probably not enough, I'd have to be honest.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

If you're experienced, $50/hour and up. If not, no less than $20/hour.

That's for the design and development. Maintenance is on a per-month fee, it's never included in the initial price. Not even modifications or changes to the spec are included in the price. Once they agree on what you've shown them, they pay for you to create that and get it running on their server. That's the end of that contract. (If you don't have contract forms, search the web - there are plenty of good free ones. NEVER do site development without a written contract. Discussing what they want, for up to an hour, is free - after that if it's not in the contract, they aren't getting it without paying extra.)

Old 09-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

It still depend up on the geographical location and the time and effort involved in the work, you may charge accordingly, say if you are residing in a city where cost of living is more then you have to charge more, and the technology used is as much impotent here.

In my case am from India and the cost of living is low when compared to in USA so we usually charge very less compared to any other countries like UK, Australia Canada etc....

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby