Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Share |
Old 08-08-2011, 01:50 PM
v7n Mentor

News aggregator... how? (and other questions)

I'm pretty low tech... I've built a site or two but I tend to use the easiest way to get there. That said, in my family I pass for semi-knowledgeable, and my brother asked me a question or two I cant answer. Figured maybe some of y'all can.

(Note to other mods... move this to the right place or whatever if this seems inappropriate)

As his punishment for asking a question I cant answer I'll make him join and ask a few of his own here, but I'll kick it off. He has a site in the helicopter industry, and it incorporates news, photos galleries, blog, ad sales, etc. Here's his URL: www{dot}aviationtoday.com/rw/ . Looking at his requests I'd think they could all be accomplished on a nice WP CMS template with a few good plug-ins.

Here's a site he pointed out that does pretty much everything he'd like to do... www{dot}helihub.com/

His first Question is about how to incorporate a news aggregator. He has several functions like that he'd like to incorporate and automate, so I brought him to the experts for a little help. Incidentally, his name's Randy. Some people think we look alike, but mom says I'm the good looking one.

Last edited by ScriptMan; 08-08-2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: word sustitution in italics

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Ideas:

a ) See if the news source has a news feed widget already to incorporate into the site.

b ) Get their RSS feed and use a script to insert into the pages.

I wouldn't do it like the example provided. Looks like a link farm page. Get something where there is text included.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Magpie and simplerss can be modded to pull from more than one source. I have never managed to do it on a single page.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

The zRSS plugin for jQuery makes it pretty trivial:

Code:
$('#feed1').rssfeed('http://news.feedzilla.com/en_us/news/programming/php.rss?client_source=feed', {});
will put that feed on your page in a div with the ID of 'feed1'. You can put as many divs and as many feeds on one page as you like.

See this link.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:28 PM
v7n Mentor

Will pass that on too. Thanks rukbat.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby