Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Share |
Old 08-31-2011, 08:50 PM

Problem with MS Word generated HTML

A friend has created a web page using MS Word's HTML "feature". None of his internal links works in any other browser than IE. The code is an absolute mess, as I expected it would be.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to look for to help him fix his code? (I don't know whether or not I can convince him to stop using Word and I'm not willing to recode his entire site for him using an HTML editor.)

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-31-2011, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Try any of the products listed here: ms word html cleanup (Never tried any of them)

Old 09-01-2011, 05:59 AM
Contributing Member

You should probably leave him with the info HTML gave you and let him know that Word isn't meant to be used to design websites. It's like trying to use a screw driver to fly to France.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

While several of the tools did clean up the code significantly, none of them fixed the basic functionality problem with the links. They still only work correctly in IE.

I can't, actually won't, spend any more unpaid 'favor time' on this. (Friends are friends and clients are clients.) Since he refuses to get away from using Word for his pages, I guess he'll just have to live with only having his pages work in IE.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barr View Post
Thanks for the suggestions.

While several of the tools did clean up the code significantly, none of them fixed the basic functionality problem with the links. They still only work correctly in IE.

I can't, actually won't, spend any more unpaid 'favor time' on this. (Friends are friends and clients are clients.) Since he refuses to get away from using Word for his pages, I guess he'll just have to live with only having his pages work in IE.
Good on you for trying though!

Old 09-02-2011, 07:35 PM
v7n Mentor

My first couple of pages in the lates 90s were built with MS Word, and I had to go buy an html book to figure out how to fix the coding errors. Next step was to move to Frontpage, which also writes redundant ugly code, but it's usually functional.

If you're trying to help but he's steadfastly refusing to get away from Word, you're right to walk away. No reason to enable that kinda behavior... Word is not intended for creating websites and if someone insists on doing it they need to learn how to fix it.

Obviously he isnt a coder, but if he wants to write his own stuff, NP, just tell him to track down a copy of FP. It's got a similar interface and will do what he wants it to do without a big learning curve.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

I have the same problem when I try to drive to the store in my hammer.

You have to use the right tool for the job, and Word is the wrong tool to write web pages. The crap it produces isn't HTML, it's something that (mis)uses HTML tags.

Front Page has the same problem - the crap it produces isn't validatable HTML. (It's also a decade - which is 20 generations in software - out of date.)

What you look for is his code. Highlight all of it and press the Delete key. Or you can spend a week fixing 2 hours of code. (I did it once as an exercise, just to see how bad Word is. The page wasn't particularly long - 4 tables, arranged so that an entire table showed at a time in 1024 X 768. I couldn't work on that garbage for more than about 30 minutes at a clip without getting pains behind my eyes, and had to stop after a couple of hours. It's like running through cold tar.)

[For some reason, many people think that anyone can produce a website of any complexity without any knowledge. But they won't ask the bum on the corner for medical advice. It says something about the level to which human "intelligence" has sunk - and hubris has risen.]

Old 09-03-2011, 07:05 PM

Depending on what he's trying to accomplish with his webpage, I'd try to steer him to Blogger or WordPress just so he can play around & get an idea of what he's doing. Then tell him to download Kompozer and go Google Kompozer tutorials.

He'd be better off copying the text from his Word "webpage" pasting it into Kompozer or Wordpress & redoing the links.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the additional replies.

While I have tried to get him away from Word, he's adamant about using it. He absolutely refuses to switch tools or have the site professionally redone. I've wished him well but have bailed out on providing him any additional help. I don't need a 'time sink' like that.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

Ever see someone trying to dig a hole in concrete with a wet noodle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barr View Post
have bailed out on providing him any additional help. I don't need a 'time sink' like that.
That's the best thing you could have done not only for your time, but for your sanity.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby