Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Share |
Old 04-18-2012, 06:59 AM

help with my start

I'm passion to be a web designer.. I'm studying software engineering, but just I think I'm not the left brain guy, so in my course period I would like to be an advance in web design. My school haven't start to teach about web, but I already know HTML, CSS by self taught before..

now I need to know where to go on, because before this I only modify wordpress theme manually (filezilla > edit style.css lol)..

I

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 08:00 AM
Contributing Member

Hi,

If I were you, I would visit webdesign websites where you can find useful tutorials to create graphics, and just train, train, train. I guess most designers don't even go to a school (too expensive?) and just practice by themselves.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:04 AM

Agreed. But if you go to a proffesional course with examinations you'll learn better methodologies. I use trial and error when I'm redesigning sites and it's leads to all sorts of problems.

Old 04-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

If you are passionate about website design you'll learn as you build website.

If you don't have customers: play with HTML , CSS, PHP, Javascript and Photoshop. Build fun websites with a lot of scripts and complicated gadgets.

You can learn all you need to know from forums, blogs, tutorials... all for free. Just search Google first :p

Old 04-23-2012, 07:23 AM

I would start sporadically downloading some of the most popular themes on Themeforest and studying the authors code. I'd also subscribe via RSS to sites like Nettuts and CSS-Tricks to get the latest techniques to use in your themes. I've also found the material at Codeschool.com to be really useful.

Really, web design is like any other skill in that you need to practice over a long period of time to perfect it. Try designing some themes and releasing them for free to get constructive feedback on your work, and use that criticism to release even better ones.

If you enjoy web design, then this stuff shouldn't seem like work - it should be a great learning experience.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:13 PM

There are 100's of quality sites out there for building and designs sites. You just have to take the time to learn! If you can take courses do so, always better to have some hands on experience in front of you to help you with question if they should arise.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Contributing Member

I would suggest to start with the programming languages. There are plenty of tutorials regarding this thing. Programming languages like that of Java play a very vital role in web development. Many other sites like w3schools.com also give too much information and knowledge for web designing. Its a vast platform and you need to choose a specific direction.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:06 AM

if you want to earn money, just learn basics,

if you want to build career then learn web designing from an institute that gives you a certificate.

if you want to improve your skills go to w3schools.com

do it in the direction of your ambition otherwise there are lot of things that will make you confuse throughout your life

Old 07-25-2012, 02:42 AM

If you are passionate about website design,Then learn web designing from an institute that gives you a certificate.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:54 AM
Banned

Hi Eldy,

You said you are passionate about web designing.....and you know HTML and CSS already.In my opinion just try to learn as much as you can from W3schools.com its a great site to learn every kind of programming.Apart from this look into the source codes of other websites,how they are using tags and CSS,java script.
As you said you know HTML and all then after completing your studies get trained from an organization not from any other institute they only make out money from you if you really want to make your carrer in web designing then expose yourself in that industry and do work on projects side by side.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:14 PM
v7n Mentor

HTMLdog is the site to go, skip W3schools.com (W3Fools.com)

However, learning by doing is the best way. If you have basic knowledge of HTML/CSS then start building sites until you are perfect in HTML/CSS...

Then do the next step, JS.

Most of the PHP guys do NOT know how to code HTML/CSS.

Skip PHP until you are perfect with HTML/CSS. At the end everything in the web is built on HTML/CSS.

Last edited by csm; 07-25-2012 at 12:21 PM.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby