Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby

Web Design Lobby Forum for general web design issues not specific to scripting or graphics.

Share |
Old 06-09-2012, 06:08 PM

How to enlarge Favicon ?

Presented favicon to be trade marked but is to small for the examiner and have been asked to make larger ..... and can no longer contact the web designer that designed it.

All enlarging programs have come across pix-elate the 16 x 16 favicon to the point where you cannot see what it actually is - the favicon is a letter of the alphabet

Is there anything that could increase the size by at least 4 times without distortion ?

Don't have photoshop, have gimp

Cheers

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-10-2012, 12:38 AM
The Controversial Coder

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert as graphics isn't my forte. Unfortunately unless you have the original master-copy of the image it's unlikely that you will be able to get anything close to a x4 size-increase without a sizeable amount of 'distortion' or pixelisation. It's unfortunately just the way images work.

However if you have the PSD or master-copy, dependent on what program was used to create it, then it should be fairly simple - there are various tools out there that claim to be able to increase the size of images without quality loss, they're mostly useless, but some can do semi-decent jobs on small touches, but they use various techniques which will still result in a noticeable quality loss.

I would try you're hardest to somehow get back in touch with the original designer, did you have a contract for touch-ups if needed etc? Even if you just fire him off a polite e-mail you never know. Good luck and sorry that I can't be of more help!

Old 06-11-2012, 04:43 PM

Thanks Dan for your advice

Even twice the size to 32 x 32 probably a pass.

Surprising to come across an area that technology can not "deal to"

I'll try again to contact the designer.

In the mean time can anyone recommend a program please that could do a "semi-decent job" to take the favicon from 16 x 16 to 32 x 32 ?

Old 06-11-2012, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

I would look at one of the factorial enlargement programs. They might work. But in short, you can't create details that don't exist.

The second option is to increase the resolution 8 or 16x. Then manually smooth out the pixels. Then decrease to the right size.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Blue Rose Mentor

Or you can have a look to see if someone can recreate it for you, in a larger size.

Both Photoshop and Gimp have problems with image resizing and most of the time you end up having to manually smooth the pixels out, literally zoomed in to the point where you can see the individual pixels. But that still leaves you with a relatively blurry image that you would need to redo to a certain extent in any case. Its a pity you don't have the Psd. Gimp can take that format, without having to use the mass of plugins available that turn it into an opensource version of photoshop.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:03 PM

Thanks all for sharing - have a clearer picture (excuse the pun) of what I can and cannot do, plus more options to find a resolution. Cheers

Old 03-21-2013, 02:46 PM

I had a notification that someone had posted the below on this thread but it is nowhere to be seen on the actual thread (19/3/2013)

"open image in paint and change the size to 500%"

Been there done that with paint, wondered if anything new has come onto the market to solve my problem ?

(Find it hard to believe that in 2013 no software is available that can detect the number and configuration of the pixels of the image in question and then just make them bigger - good money making idea if there is not .....)

Cheers

Terrano

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Design Lobby